Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dorry2

Will I tire of a beach seashore theme? Show me your beach house!

dorry2
11 years ago

Do you have a beach, coastal, cottage shore home? Is the decor predominantly a coastal theme? If so, have you tired of it? We built a second home in a beach golf and tennis community and I have a green sofa with a contrasting welt in cream. I have been eyeing this crab walk fabric for a while and am wondering if I will tire of it. The home will be used primarily in the summer and an occasional weekend in the winter, so I won't be seeing it every day! The fabric is on the sofa and it works really well with the green sofa. I plan to use a stripe or a small print on two occasional chairs, the crab walk print would be on a pair club chairs.

Just curious if those who have coastal homes would do anything differently, or do you love your escape home and all the accessories, furniture, etc,,and any suggestions! Would love to see pictures!

Thank you!

Comments (12)

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

I find that the best antidote to tiring of a scheme is to restrict the prints, particularly those that have a theme and/or a strong image, to pillows and footstools and things that can be easily changed.

Starting with basics like that ideal sofa and a good classic stripe (awning or ticking are good choices for the beach) on your chairs, and then simple creamy curtains that can billow a little when the windows are open, provides a sturdy backdrop that you can refresh when you tire of an enthusiasm, like that rich image-heavy print, or fall in love with something else.

You're either married or dating - and with beachy prints, I think you should stay single and be as fickle as you please!

• geokid
    11 years ago

Coincidentally, here is a picture a friend of mine just pinned. It's a beachy feel with a strong print on two club chairs. After looking at the picture and thinking about bronwynsmom's great advice, I think I would tire of the print on the club chairs after awhile. I'd put another pattern, probably a stripe, on the club chairs and the crab walk on the occasional chairs or pillows.

gacekdesign.com

• caminnc
    11 years ago

bronwynsmom nailed it once again. I live in a beach town and i see so many people over do it. You want to keep neutral with your big ticket items so they can go or be changed out with any other decor in the furture. All you need for a beach theme is a WHISPER of color and a few beach related items. Choose the best you can afford to make a big impact. Try to stay away from tacky because there is a lot out there.

• kitchendetective
    11 years ago

That is spectacular fabric! I'd love it on a bench or ottoman.

• User
    11 years ago

Yes, you will tire of coral prints, shell designs, fish, crabs, and everything else water related. UNLESS your true inclination in design is to go with a location theme. Nothing wrong with that, if you like it. But ask yourself, if you live in a mountainous region now, does your year round home have a mountain theme? Or if you live in a very cold area, does the decor represent ice and snow in the accessories and fabrics? IMO the geography of your location is best expressed in color and texture choices with just a very few artifacts indigenous to the area.

• stolenidentity
    11 years ago

The best beach design is the REAL thing...why folks need to put it inside is something I don't get. I agree with kswl, when you find something totally amazing on the beach then bring it in!

• kateskouros
    11 years ago

i have a problem with themes as a rule. the fact that the home is coastal is proof enough for me. enjoy your home!

This post was edited by kateskouros on Fri, Mar 29, 13 at 22:23

• rosie
    11 years ago

Well, we have a little place in the Tampa Bay area, and I got tired very fast of coastal themes in "Florida colors" -- from everyone ELSE's decor. It's all over the place. A regional use of colors arises, of course, from climate, and you want to use colors that look fantastic in that light, but!

That is a great print, with a nice energy, and worth using on more than just a couple of pillows. Could you use it on the windows? It'd look really good against those walls. Does it come in an unquilted version? A bit pricey to change out, but not like upholstery.

• luckygal
    11 years ago

I don't have a beach house or live near the coast any more altho do have opinions! I think if you are wondering if you will tire of that fabric you just might eventually. However if you like it I encourage you to use it in a less permanent way than upholstery such as in pillow covers.

Even though I now live well inland I used to live on the west coast and the beach was very much a part of our lifestyle. So I have a collection of shells and real glass fishing floats and use them in my decor to remind me of that. I use shell decor in two of my bathrooms in wall decor and shells in apothecary jars and the fishing floats either in a large container or on a wall shelf with shells in my LR.

Themes can become tiresome altho if used judiciously can make decor more interesting. We each have our tolerances for themes so only you will know what yours is. I also use rooster decorative accessories in my kitchen altho have fewer than I did years ago so it doesn't overwhelm. I just counted 8 hen and rooster themed items but used to have over 20!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

>the Tampa Bay area, and I got tired very fast of coastal themes in "Florida colors" -- from everyone ELSE's decor. It's all over the place

Interesting. I'm almost directly across the state from you, and I hardly ever see beach-themed decor here. Lots of oceanside condos with those colors, but here they aren't FL colors or beach colors, they're left over 80s Southwestern style decor from what was hot when they were decorated. (I lived in Miami Beach during the Miami Vice era and those pastels were far more cupcake than anything you can find now, even as leftovers.)

I'm right on the beach, and around here people go a bit beachy with decor on their gateposts and in courtyards or balconies, but inside I only see it in designer showhouses, or occasionally the first season after people move down from Michigan or wherever.

I did want a fabric for my sofa that's a tone on tone brocade in a stylized coral pattern, but that was because it was pretty, not because of any special beach reference.

This post was edited by writersblock on Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 0:24

• dorry2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks to all! Really great suggestions! agree with many of the posters and my sofas are always solids. In my primary residence, I have a tone on tone damask and a woven solid and a solid green (in different rooms, of course). I always accent with chairs and pillows and accessories, BUT, because my primary residence is 18th century, mahogany, with a few whimsical touches, I really wanted the second home to be totally different than the primary residence.

Maybe my title was misleading. The only fabric reflecting a coastal theme would be a pair of club chairs.

The solid sofa is great, but I thought doing a pair of two themed chairs, translation: FUN, chairs, and the chairs would be the only themed pieces of furniture, would make me smile when I enter the home and put me in a vacation mode frame of mind!!

Having said that, I am now rethinking the fabric only because I like, not
    love that fabric. I kept gravitating to it because it works beautifully with the green sofa. The greens in the crab fabric are perfect with the green sofa....so, now I am off hunting for fabric again. I really like greens and blues together. My PR colors are red, goldish- yellow and green. I have no blue in this home, so now leaning toward a blue and green color scheme and, perhaps, a geometric or a paisley.

I do not want over the top beachy, but I do want to feel I am away from my home with subtle coastal touches. If this were my primary residence, I would not even be questioning the theme, but because this is a getaway home, I do want it to reflect the area and the laid-back mode. Planning to use paint colors and fabrics I would not think of using in my PR.

I will let you know what I find and i am keeping all of your great thoughts and suggestions in mind!! I think the crab walk fabric is walking!!!

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor