Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mkleparek

Art above new flat screen TV

mkleparek
16 years ago

This is just one of my problems with the decor of this room but I don't know what will work best. While looking for something else I found these prints at Home Goods the other day and they might work. I thought the colors worked well with my rug and furniture and they were bright enough to bring some color to a bland spot without being too bright. I had planned to use three simple black frames with a very wide mat and some black and white photos. Specifically some winter scenes of snow and trees that I shot a few years ago at another home. I thought that might be best to not be too "busy" with the tv just below but now I wonder if some color is better. Any thoughts from you decorating divas out there? I have included several pictures of the room. The blue chair near the fireplace is going to be slipcovered with something. The mantle is another place I need help with. I thought might keep those two prints there but have them matted and framed the same (like the darker wood frame probably). These prints represent places near and dear to our hearts. I also need something on the windows-valances? Color? And I need a lamp for the table between leather chair and the sofa. Thank you in advance for any thoughts, I appreciate all the help I can get. Some of you might recognize the rugs. I had some input from this site a couple of months ago, thanks!

Comments (11)

• lynninnewmexico
    16 years ago

What a beautiful fireplace! I like the prints you bought to hang above the tv. I think you're right, adding some color there above the tv (which is visually a big black box unless it's turned on) will add a lot to that area and the colors are great in your room. I love the prints above your fireplace, too. Framed similarly in dark mats and frames, they'd look stunning above your fireplace. My only suggestion would be to keep anything else you put on that mantle, big, bold and dark. Your small pieces up there look lost and tiny, although I can see that they're pretty. BTW, I love the colors in your room; they make it very warm and cozy looking.

• mkleparek
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for your comments Lynn. It has turned out to be a cozy room. You're right, the tiny stuff on the fireplace looks lost. It doesn't look that way in person but in a photo it sure does. Maybe something on one side but much taller than my little fake plant that I thought was so tall. LOL I'm hoping when I get some fabric up around the windows it will help "fill in" that wall too. Maybe pick up the carmel, amber color from the tile?

• hockeymom4
    16 years ago

I would like to see something that is not square or rectangular above the flat screen. You have a rectangular console with a rectangular tv on top. Maybe you could find a piece of iron grillwork but that wouldn't add any color.

I do think you need a larger piece of art over the fireplace also. Can you use those prints somewhere else in the room? You have a very lovely and comfortable room.

• teacats
    16 years ago

Very pretty home! Love the choices for above the TV -- and I do agree that you need a larger single artwork above the mantel. Something that really pulls up the colors from your lovely area rug! Or -- for a change of "shape" for the area -- a round dark-framed mirror.

Jan

• mkleparek
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi hockeymom4 and teacats. Thanks for your comments. I see your point on the square, rectangular shapes and I did think about the grillwork idea but again no color. As for the mantle I may just wait and tell my daughter (who is a painter with no time to paint) to create something for just that space. She did a lovely large painting that I am using in another room because the main colors in it are blues and purples and it just didn't look right in the family room. She would probably do it but it might be a long time before I see anything from her. :) There is nowhere else to use the art currently on the mantle in this room-the walls you see in the photo are the only walls in the room. The rest is open to the dining room and the kitchen with just columns. The dining room has a mirror already which is why I did not think I should use another one over the fireplace or the tv. I really like the colors in the current prints on the mantle with everything else in the room. I'll probably just stew about this for awhile longer. Here is a lamp I am considering for the table by the sofa. What do you think of it?

• teacats
    16 years ago

Great lamp!!

Would you consider other artworks with the same theme above the mantel as the two that are currently in place? Just a single larger sized artwork?

OR do have them re-matted and re-framed (in black to match the fireplace surround). Hang the larger one quite low on the mantel wall -- and then the smaller one above it ....

Jan

• hockeymom4
    16 years ago

I was watching Get It Sold last night and noticed this over a tv and console. While this area is not as nice as yours, maybe you could use the same concept. Put a shelf over your tv and prop your prints there with some candles, vases or plants for added color and interest.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• felicia2008
    16 years ago

Saw this in the Boston Globe. Notice nothing over the TV.

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/house/articles/2008/01/31/the_world_is_flat/

• patricianat
    16 years ago

I love your sofa.

• funkyart
    16 years ago

I had the same problem with my tv.. and I ended up buying a taller console. I don't like anything "busy" around the viewing screen. Lifting the screen was perfect and made a big difference. Plus, I like the viewing angle better now too.

An idea for your mantle-- I have two pictures resting on the mantle but overlapping. My situation/tastes are a little different but I think the basic idea could still work for you. Both my prints are matted with a lot of "white space" and they are somewhat related (both are B&W. One is a landscape and the other a tree) I also have a vase on the mantle with.. hahah don't laugh.. interesting "sticks" from the yard-- one of which hangs over the artwork. I think it pulls together pretty well and it addresses a big design hurdle (the entire wall above the mantle is a mirror plate).

Your room is really cozy and personal.. I think you'll be very happy with a painting your daughter made just for you. In the meantime I think adding some height and matting your existing prints and putting them in larger frames will definitely make the mantle area more visually interesting. Good luck!

• mkleparek
    Original Author
    16 years ago

patricia43- I love my sofa too. It's Ethan Allen.

Thank you all for your comments and ideas.

All are ideas that have been considered. A new one however came to me this weekend! We are going away for a trip to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. I think I'm going to shop while on the trip for a large print that would commemorate our anniversary and be a reminder of the city we visit too (for over the fireplace). Anyway, I'll try. If not I'll either re-mat, beg my daughter to paint a new one, put up a shelf, put up the new prints, get something else to add to the mantle or all of the above. :) I think the important thing is that I'm going to take my time which is very unlike me. Thanks again all.