Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sabrachapman

Window Treatments

sabrachapman
9 years ago

Our house is being built and is almost complete. I'm starting to think about window treatments. Our house backs up to trees, so originally I thought we would leave them with nothing at all, but my husband is insisting we need something! I don't want to take away from the paneling around the windows. Below is a picture of what they will look like:

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (9)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

cordless wood slat blinds. Simple, elegant, and go very well with your style.

Here is a link that might be useful: cordless wood slat blinds - white

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

I love my Plantation shutters! Have them customized in the wall color rather than the trim color, usually white. It may cost a little more, but is definitely worth it!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Agree w/patty_cakes as well, plantation shutters are also beautiful cousins of the white slat blinds.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Roman shades mounted inside would also look nice.

• kitschykitch
    9 years ago

Why does he want them? That will determine what you need. For example, for a MBR you may want room-darkening capability.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Beautiful home. Cordless blinds or plantation shutters. I had cordless blinds, went to plantation shutters. I have wood shutters. Mine were painted to match my trim at a shutter shop. I like the privacy and the neat look.

Mine are stack back which I love. Some of my neighbors have purchased from some of the big box stores and theirs are not stack back and they have wished they had gotten the stack back. My advice is to get what you want to meet your needs. These are just my opinion and either will look nice.

• Laurie
    9 years ago

All of the above suggestions are good. You have a beautiful home!

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

We had a nice deep treed lot in our last house and never put any window treatments on our living and dining areas in the back of the house. I did put silouettes on the bath and master bath and later on added curtains in the bedroom for color. The homes behind us were about 300 feet back and angled so that we did not look directly into their homes and with all the trees, even in the winter it would have been difficult to make out anything at all. We never closed the curtains or binds during the summer in the bedroom. I really like the open window look. We also had a walkout basement below so no one would be looking in at ground level.
    If you are going to have a deck like pictured, perhaps you could do rollup blinds on the porch window before you invest in interior blinds. If you decide to get blinds, move the rollups to the outside of the porch to protect from sun and wind.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    9 years ago

One thing to consider is if you will be doing 3 separate treatments or 1 wide treatment. If it is 1 wide treatment, you will be limited in what products are available that wide.

I had hunter douglas cordless wood blinds on my last house and they were in the vicinity of 80" wide and they were at the maximum width allowed for that product. My new house has 2 sets of triple windows that are 100" wide and I am having a tough time finding wide products.

Also, know that wood blinds and shutters will cut down on some of the light coming into the room. The bigger the slat, the more light you will get. Are the surrounding trees close? What direction are the windows facing? Is getting maximum light a concern?

The other issue it looks like you may have is inside vs. outside mount. It looks like the window frame is not very deep. You may have trouble doing an inside mount on any product. With that beautiful paneling, an inside mount would be best if possible.

Cellular honeycomb shades take about the thinnest mounting and stacking space of all shades, but not the most attractive.

I'm a fan of natural woven wood shades but that's definitely a more casual look. Not sure what your style will be.

I would live with it awhile to see what you and husband think. I've been here 7 months and still haven't done my triple windows. Big $$$ decision. Aesthetically, if your walls will be painted a color like in that picture, the windows look semi "finished" because the paneling frames the windows nicely. If your walls are white as the paneling, it will appear more unfinished.