Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
artydecor

Is Restoration Hardware bedding worth it?

artydecor
12 years ago

I've been searching for the perfect white quilt for my new king bed, and have found two possibles. One is a RH linen/ cotton blend at the outlet. The other has a similar look, is 100% cotton, from Homegoods. One of the brands they get you never see anywhere else. The RH one, of course, costs 3X as much. The feel of the quilt is as important to me as the appearance, I want it to be soft, not stiff like a coverlet. Has anyone had experience with RH bedding? Is it really worth the extra expense, or would you go for the Homegoods version?

Comments (75)

• DavidR
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

We have a linen duvet cover from RH, and it has gotten softer over time. We also have their cotton/linen blend sheets, which are lovely, but sleep kind of hot. We also have their vintage washed Belgian sheets, which started a tiny bit scratchy, but are blissfully soft after maybe 3 or 4 washes. Finally, I sprung for a sheet from Rough Linen, and it's in a class of its own. Others have quibbled that the RL line doesn't include fitted sheets, but if you buy a size up (as recommended for mattresses taller than 12") and do hospital corners, the thing does not untuck, and it's an amazing night's sleep. I'm very fond of our Restoration stuff, but the Rough Linen really is of a quality unto itself.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

old thread. Many other threads about RH and RL

• the_foxes_pad
    9 years ago

I shop at the outlet every now and then for pillow covers. I love any bedding that I've gotten from RHO. It feels so good, washes up so nicely and has such a nice feel. Someday when I can afford sheets from RHO I will definitely not hesitate to buy!

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I purchased RH Belgian Linen sheets and pillowcases, which I like a lot (the color of the Rough Linen just didn't work for my DH, who has definite opinions about this kind of thing LOL). Anyhoo, know I see that Pottery Barn has bedding on sale - how do the PB linen sheets compare to the RH?

• Debbi Branka
    9 years ago

Holly Kay, I just bought my first Rough Linen in December. I asked the same question of Tricia (about summer cover and sheets). The sheets have a 5" hem at the top; the summer cover has the 5" hem all around. I ended up just ordering 2 sheets instead of the sheet and the summer cover. I love them!
    I'm attaching a picture where you can see the top hem of the sheet (and also my favorite 3 year old snuggling with our Chihuahua). If anyone wonders about the color of the strong white, it's slightly creamy, but my duvet (not linen) is very super white, and you can see the sheet touching the duvet and it's not that much different.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Debbi, your little guy is precious. I bought the summer bed last September and I went with the strong white. I love the slight creaminess of the linen. I also bought an extra sheet. I still want one more sheet and another pair of cases.

• Debbi Branka
    9 years ago

Thank you Holly. I bought 2 sheets and 2 pillowslips. I wanted to try them first before I bought the whole bed makeover. I will want at least another set of sheets at some point. The little guy is my number 2 grandson. He always climbs into gramma's bed around midnight when he spends the night :)

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

What a sweetie. I have three DGS, aren't they just the best?

• Debbi Branka
    9 years ago

We have 3 also! Number 4 is due in August. Really hoping for a girl this time!

• Rose Arriola
    9 years ago

I'm interested in purchasing bedding for the first time from RH. I'm a bit hesitant after reading some reviews but I would like to know if the turn around time was reasonable & which out of ordering online or in-store is a better option? Xx

• DavidR
    9 years ago

Rose,

Their shipping isn't Amazon Prime fast - I think it was a week and change when I last ordered from them online. If you can get the items at the store (and the stores sometimes don't have everything available online), you can have it the same day. I'd call ahead. As to the quality of their products, I think most of us here have found sources we prefer, BUT, I have loved everything I've gotten from them, especially a really beautiful jacquard stripe duvet cover that looks and feels amazing. For sheeting, I think you'd be hard-pressed to beat Tricia Rose's Rough Linen, but I'm very fond of of our RH vintage-washed Belgian linen sheets (the fitted sheet's wanderings, notwithstanding). They also come in really neat bags made of the same fabric, which makes storage a snap. One final plug for Rough Linen, though: the turnaround is extremely fast, and if you have any customer service questions, you can call and speak with the wonderful lady who made your sheets, herself. Coincidentally, one of her summer covers is due to arrive today (just in time for a delightful, First-Day-of-Spring snowstorm!). I am giddy with anticipation. Whatever you decide, welcome to the blissful world of sleeping in linen. It's glorious!

• Rose Arriola
    9 years ago

Thank you for the prompt & most helpful response, David. And thanks so very much for the other recommendations. I will definitely give the store a call first. Truly excited now! Xx

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I have the Belgian linen sheets and pillowcases and like them a lot. I understand Rough Linen is even "that much" better, but it's also more than double the cost. (Two king sheets and two king pillowcases at RH cost me $229 on sale -- one king sheet alone at Rough Linen is $190).

• DavidR
    9 years ago

Sure thing, Rose! And, you're very right, sj. The RL stuff is definitely costlier than the RH, and if you live near an RH outlet, you can experience some real savings. I think there's an appreciable difference in the quality, but it's not like the RH stuff is somehow not great. It is quite lovely. I'm grateful to have options and choices, though! I know my Honda is a fantastic car, even after I ride in my friend's Mercedes Benz, which cost three times as much...

• violetwest
    9 years ago

when buying from RH -- always wait for the sales. the bedding goes on sale frequently. Also, I recommend having more than one set, because the first set of linen bedding I bought from RH developed gigantic tears after less than one year of use. (which they replaced at no charge after I complained).

• cannes
    9 years ago

I found this thread while researching linen sheets. I've owned 3 sets, all by RH. Each have worn out within a year. When I say worn out, I mean holes.

So, I'm looking into Matteo and Rough Linen. I'm not sure if I can handle the flat bottom sheet. Our Tempurpedic is heavy to lift and tuck. I also saw Linoto... but I think I read somewhere there's a seam down the middle of the top sheet.

I'm ok with spending more if I won't need to replace them yearly. But how do I choose which ones?

• dallasgraduate
    9 years ago

I've been buying Peacock Alley linens by way of Tuesday Morning, but just bought RH linens. I'm hoping they last more than a year. I've tried TJ Max and Marshalls but have had no luck in quality (I've had better luck with target linens).

• Shaun Barcavage
    9 years ago

I bought the linen duvet from ikea. Decent quality for price. At 79 dollars if it fades in a year you can buy 2 more for less than other linen duvets out there. I also purchased the pottery barn Belgian linen. Much more expensive and total crap quality here are my photos of the PB linens which I will return,

• Debbi Branka
    9 years ago

Cannes, we also have a Tempurpedic, and while it is very heavy and a little difficult to tuck, I do the best I can and the bottom sheet really does stay put. We got our Rough Linen sheets in January. They have never come un-tucked so far, and my DH is a messy sleeper :)

• cannes
    9 years ago

@ Debbie Branka

That is super to know, Debbie! After reading some unfavorable things about the matteo owner, I've decided on Rough Linen. Now I need to decide on which pieces I should order. Definitely going white on the sheeting and pillow slips. I'm even considering two Bolsters. But should I order the Summer cover or just another flat sheet? Any advice?

• violetwest
    9 years ago

honestly, that depends on whether or not you need another sheet. As I said, my first RH linen set also developed big holes the first year (which they replaced.) But I determined I needed to rotate more than one set and have since done so without any problems.

• DavidR
    9 years ago

I now have several items from the Rough Linen line, and it's definitely worth the splurge. Plus, the customer service is peerless, and the quality is really incredible (if you order a few pieces at a time, you get to have the delight of unpacking them - Tricia does a lovely job with packing the orders, and they come with the linen bags, which are dizzyingly fragrant). After all the negative buzz here, I look at my Restoration fitted sheet with some concern, but, so far, it's holding up nicely. We got the summer cover, but it's not yet been warm enough to make use of it. It's really beautiful, though. We have both the strong white and smooth natural sheets, and, while I love them both, the natural color is really stupendous - somehow simultaneously casual and luxe. You'll want to jump into bed, for sure. Also, we've not had any untucking problems, but double check Tricia's guidelines for sizing up if you have a deep mattress. Finally, if, like mine, your budget doesn't allow for a complete, one-time splurge on the RL stuff, I have to say, it will integrate beautifully into your existing linens, piece by piece.

• cannes
    9 years ago

That may be my biggest problem. I prefer taking my fresh sheets out of the dryer and throwing them on my bed... not all stale out of my linen closet. So, I keep one set at a time. I was thinking with rotating the RL top/bottom would also help them hold up better.

I really love the natural color. Unfortunately our wall and curtain color is a darkish grey/taupey color and wouldn't work well with the natural. I need to go white but was considering the lovely St. Barts Blue for a summer cover if I decide to go that way.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Cannes, you will adore your RL. I bought the summer bed and then a bit later another flat sheet. The summer cover is a bit bigger and is hem finished all around.

We also have a Tempurpedic cloud luxe and it really isn't difficult to make the bed even though the mattress is very heavy. My sheet has never come untucked. I actually prefer a flat sheet on the bottom. I hated having to battle to get the corners right.

The St Bart's blue is heavenly isn't it?

• cannes
    9 years ago

It so is, Holly-Kay.

I'm leaning towards what you did... Order the summer bed and then order another flat sheet later on.

Now I need to decide if I should go with the St. Bart's Blue or just the Orkney White for the Summer Cover.

• DavidR
    8 years ago

Restoration Hardware Linen Bedding Update: Our stonewashed linen fitted sheet gave way today. We had it for less than a year, and it maybe got a couple months' use. Caveat emptor. (We still love our linen duvet cover from there, though). Rough Linen is much, much more durable. I won't buy any more of Restoration's linen sheeting.

• rockybird
    8 years ago

I have three sets of RH 600 count sateen sheets. I just ordered a fourth set on sale. I have had them now for 2-3 years. I am really happy with them. I wash my sheets every couple days. So far they have held up great, although they the older two sets have lost some of the sateen sheen. My father has a set of 1000 count sheets on the guest bed in a house of his. RH sheets arent as nice as those, but they spent over $1k on those sheets! (!) My last set of RH sheets I got on sale for $260. I think that's a pretty good price for 600 count sheets. I also have one of their duvet covers and a blanket which are amazing quality.

• busybee3
    8 years ago

i also have loved the RH bedding that i have- it all has withstood lots of washings too! i have purchased some of mine from an outlet (both linen and smooth cotton) and always wait for the 40% off everything sales- some great deals to be had then!

• jdsloan83
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Sorry to bump an old post, but was hoping someone would have a suggestion for me. My wife and I received the RH Italian 50 year wash Vintage Sheet Set as a wedding gift as they were a part of our registry. We love the sheets, but the fitted sheet has worn out quickly and developed a slight tear a few days ago that has now developed into a basketball size hole. Kind of disappointed that these nice sheets only lasted a few years. I contacted RH and apparently I can't buy the fitted sheet by itself. I refuse to buy another set of sheets from them for that money, when I only need the fitted, and since the first set didn't last very long. Does anyone know where I could buy the fitted sheet by itself, or where I could get an Ivory fitted sheet that looks and feels like the RH one? Thanks in advance for the help!

• Olychick
    8 years ago

any chance this might work for you? might be worth a look. Also check ebay

mattress cover in same fabric

• jdsloan83
    8 years ago

Interesting, I didn't even see that or think about it. I wonder if the feel is the same as the sheets/fitted sheet? Excuse my ignorance with these questions. I'm a 32 year old male trying to make my wife happy without her knowing.....

• Olychick
    8 years ago

I don't have a clue about the cover myself, I just happened to see it. When I realized it was a box spring cover, I wondered if the top part (between the mattress and box spring might be some different fabric, but it doesn't say so. If you can get free shipping or pick up at RH, it might be worth a look.

• dena85
    8 years ago

Mattress pads are usually made cheap material. You should be able to find some on eBay.

I just purchased the Maison line of furniture from RH along with vintage washed Belgian linen sheets, duvet cover, quilt, and shams. I'm disappointed with the sheets. I have washed them but not slept on them yet but they are still very scratchy and stiff.

Are Rough Linen sheets any softer than the RH sheets?

• violetwest
    8 years ago

DavidR said: "Restoration Hardware Linen Bedding Update: Our stonewashed linen fitted
    sheet gave way today. We had it for less than a year, and it maybe got
    a couple months' use. Caveat emptor. (We still love our linen duvet
    cover from there, though). Rough Linen is much, much more durable."

This happened to me, too. I called the company and complained that their "heirloom" sheets didn't even last a year. They replaced the whole set.

Since I have now more than one set, they RH ones don't get quite as much use and don't get quite as beat up. Save those little linen bags they come in for patches, though.

I have linens from both RH and RL, and I agree that the RL ones are more durable. I don't really notice difference in softness, but they do have a slightly different "hand."

As for the mattress pad, take my advice and get a washable wool fleece pad. When you put the linen sheet over that, it makes everything soooo much softer and comfier.

• DavidR
    8 years ago

Excellent advice. Thanks, Violet! :)

• dena85
    8 years ago

Great ideas keeping the bags for patches if needed.

• AmeliaD Dunst
    8 years ago

Linen and cotton blend - this price? Too expensive.

I bought pure linen, perfect, high quality for less from MagicLinen https://www.etsy.com/shop/MagicLinen?ref=hdr_shop_menu
    Before that I tried Ikea, didn't like it, not soft enough for me.

• momiss12
    6 years ago

I felt that I had to leave a comment because I just love the quality of my RH linen sheets and pillows!

• elizabeth707
    6 years ago

I have a set of Belgian linen sheets from Restoration Hardware. The bottom sheet wore through in 12 months. I returned the sheet - and they replaced with a new sheet - 12 months later, it has worn through again, Am I doing something wrong?

Maybe washed 12 - 14 times? should be softening up, not disintegrating?

Am I the only one with this problem?

Any advice would be helpful - the store clerk did suggest maybe they should be washed in cold water - but really....sheets?

• momiss12
    6 years ago

I was told to wash them in cold water also. That today’s detergents have come a long way and it’s no longer necessary to wash in warm or hot water.

• favianosuperiore
    6 years ago

I bought a set of RH Belgian linen sheets expecting them to last a lifetime. I Inherited a set of linen sheets from my French grandmother - who inherited them from her mother – and they are still soft and pristine. The RH bottom sheet started developing small holes within the second year and by the end of the third year the bottom sheet is unuseable. I alternate my sheets frequently and wash them in warm water with no bleach. When I contacted RH they asked me for my receipt which of course after three years I no longer have so basically I am minus a fitted bottom sheet and very disappointed. I will not recommend these sheets as they are expensive and do not hold up to normal use.

• Sarah Thomas
    5 years ago

We bought a set of RH linen sheets for our daughter. Thinking she would have them for many years. Surprised to find she wore through the bottom after a few years. These were not the only sheets she used and they were washed in warm water and detergent only. I don't think they are worth the money!

• Anne Duke
    5 years ago
    Linen can handle a warm water wash. It’s the dryer that does a number on fabrics. Linen was used back in the day when things were still being boiled.
  • K O
    5 years ago

I have had 2 sets of Restoration Hardware stone washed Belgian linen sheets. Both sets developed holes on the fitted bottom sheet within 2 years. When I complained, the company representative unbelievably said the sheets are of the finest quality and will not last as long as other sheets.

• cmiller51
    5 years ago

Do not buy from Restoration Hardware. I did and I am sorry I spent the money on linen bedding. After about 18 months, the linen was so weak, it broke into holes. I am not a hard person on linens and wash them carefully. The fitted sheet was so week it shredded. I contacted them and they said "too bad, so sad", --they don't stand behind their products. See KO's report above; that's what my sheets ended up like. Heirloom quality is what they advertised--false advertising.

• gardyloo
    4 years ago

Thanks so much for all these comments, especially the recent ones. I was at an RH outlet today and their Q sheet sets are 40% off. Sounds great, but if they only last a year, that's much worse than my 4 year old organic cotton Target sheets. Thanks again!!

• HU-534338725
    4 years ago

I've gone through two sets of RH Belgian linen sheets in 4 years. The quality is terrible. With the first set, the fitted sheet started to literally disintegrate/shred in the area where my torso would be when sleeping right around 20 months. I complained to RH and they said it was probably defective and sent me a new set for free. Now, about 20 months later the exact same thing is happening to the replacement fitted sheet -- it is disintegrating/shredding in the area under my torso. My recommendation is do NOT buy the RH linen sheets.

• Edge Capital
    3 years ago

Restoration Hardware sheets are great. Definitely. Also if you guys need a Working Capital Loan don't hesitate to reach out. https://www.edgecapitalfunding.com

• Michelle
    3 years ago

My experience with RH stone washed linen sheets has been poor. With all the care taken, they lasted about 5 years before literally wearing out with holes in the fitted sheets. They advertise heirloom quality, so I would have assumed they would have lasted longer. Would not recommend.

• PRO
    BoCat, Inc.
    2 years ago

Same problem with my fitted sheet,less than one year of use and it’s torn.