Houzz Logo Print
c_summer

wall stickers

c_summer
11 years ago

Hello, I am new to this site.
I want to decorate my hallway using wall stickers and
hope you can share your experience:
Does this work/stick on textured wallpaper?
Are they removable?
Can they be cleaned?
Any site recommendations or feedback would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Comments (22)

• annie1971
    11 years ago

Just what IS a wall sticker? I've visualized a number of images; probably non of which you have in mind.

• melsouth
    11 years ago

The quest for the elusive wall sticker continues...

• puglover2006
    11 years ago

My DIL has used wall stickers of birds in the nursery and they're adorable. Lots of choices online in every imaginable theme. Supposedly they are removable; she hasn't tried yet.

• grlwprls
    11 years ago

If you mean those vinyl decals, they are removeable. Washable, I can't speak to really. I had a few flower decals from Pottery Barn Kids at varying intervals along my daughter's baseboards in her old bedroom. They looked great and were super easy to install. Peel and stick, but they aren't really sticky. We had light orange peel texture on the walls and I had no problems getting them to stay where I wanted them.

• CLBlakey
    11 years ago

My daughter had some in her apartment but when she took them down they left a sticky/stain and it would not come off.

• lala girl
    11 years ago

I got some very elaborate ones that looked like oversized paisleys - they were really great looking,but they were so delicate and "filigreed" when I pulled them off that they kind of stuck together in a lump. So I would just make sure they are easy to get off the paper backing and on the wall.

I got mine from 2modern.com FWIW

• lynxe
    11 years ago

c summer, I hadn't heard about wall stickers before and have never seen one. I can't answser any of your questions but - big coincidence! - here's an article I read this morning about wall decals. I assume these are the same as what you're calling wall stickers.

http://www.philly.com/philly/home/Decals_can_transform_a_wall_cheaply_easily_.html

Notice that the opening paragraph refers to someone using decals on stairs to the garage. You could buy some inexpensive ones and try them out in a basement, garage, attic, or anywhere where, if they don't come off cleanly, it wouldn't matter as much as in a kitchen, LR, etc.

• deegw
    11 years ago

In my old house I had a saying made for my laundry room, "It will all come out in the wash." It wasn't really a sticker but more like a decal. I had to peel off the protective covering from the sticky side, line up the words, rub them on to the wall and then peel off the backing. It wasn't difficult to install or clean. I never took them off so I can't speak to that.

{{!gwi}}

• msventoux
    11 years ago

Just don't by cheap ones if you have textured walls. I was sleeping deeply one night and was awakened by the feeling of some light, ropy-feeling things landing on my face. Felt sort of like a snake or something. That was a lot of fun.

• c_summer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

wow loads of information thanks you all for the help.

the article in philly looks interesting and helpful, although i was looking at a few simpler versions which are a little more tame than the tree above the bed. i found some cool sort of 3d effect wall shelves, not sure what the correct term is if t you have a hole/shelf in your wall.. Annie & Mel i found them at a site called 3d-walldecals.com i especially liked the ones with the flowerpots in them.

love the little saying deee, how true (although not with my 10 month old's bib!) ;-)

• crl_
    11 years ago

Etsy is an additional source. I have had them custom made for my kids' rooms. Ours came off with no residue.

• c_summer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Many thanks for your advice, will check out Etsy.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Well, all I can say that I had two different experiences, none good, with wall decals. In some spots, they left a sticky residue that was impossible to remove and impossible to paint over. Lots of goo--be-gone, sanding, primer etc.; in other spots, they took off the protective paper of the drywall. Also a pain, as I had to speckle over it, sand, put some kind of sizing on the wall, prime, etc. You still can see it under the paint.

• egbar
    10 years ago

I got some nice ones at hobby lobby and used them for décor in the back of book cases I painted. they stuck to the rough wood just fine. they can make nice accents. easier than freehand!
    msventoux, I LOL! I would have had a heart attack.

• fynite
    10 years ago

We have these on our daughter's walls. We got ours off amazon. Some of them stick just fine to textured walls. Some of them barely stick to the smooth closet door. (Two different brands) I suggest you buy them somewhere where you can check other people's reviews to see how well they work.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    10 years ago

I actually sell a product that is vinyl with a removable adhesive backing.

Took more than a year to find the right material and adhesive. Trust me when I tell you there is a humongo range of adhesives.

When you purchase wall decals, you really don't know if they were made with the 'good stuff' removable adhesive that really is removable AND repositionable or if it's the cheaper stuff that can leave residue.

Good news is even the cheaper adhesives are removable albeit with some elbow grease.

So my advice is purchase with caution understanding there are differing qualities of "removable" decals. And NEVER apply a decal to a substrate that is not completely stable.

• chickadee2_gw
    10 years ago

I noticed some on zuilly.com the other night. Today's the last day of the sale. Go to zuilly's website and hit on "category" at the top of the page. Bring down and click on "home". You have to scroll down the sales to find them, or perhaps you could just type in Sissy Little in their search box and it will come up.

• jackson2348
    10 years ago

When I did my wall stickers, they did not stick the 1st time, called the company and they sent out another set free of charge. The 2nd set didn't stick either. Apparently my paint was repelling the stickiness. I talked at length with a company rep, they had an adhesive that would work on almost anything, but would damage the wall on removal. I decided to go ahead, and it's been everybody's favorite thing in my house. It's in the back hall where we enter from the garage. It's easy to keep clean, just dust the wall as usual.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

Jackson, I love that!

• vinilismo
    10 years ago

I think it is not necessary that all the wall stickers create damage or stick with paint some of the stickers which has been made from the low quality material might get stick with wall.

• voila
    9 years ago

Nine years ago I had a custom saying made by Wallwords.com. I got to choose font, size, color and my own words to hang over my office window. "Est non fascile", which is "It is never easy" in Latin. It described my life at the time and was always asked for a translation when people glanced at it.

• voila
    9 years ago

Nine years ago I had a custom saying made by Wallwords.com. I got to choose font, size, color and my own words to hang over my office window. "Est non facile", which is "It is never easy" in Latin. It described my life at the time and was always asked for a translation when people glanced at it.

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer