Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Not really decorating, but want your advice on fence stain

TxMarti
10 years ago

This is a patio we wanted to enclose into a courtyard.

Just finished the fence part.

Dh wants to stain it a dark brown to match the back deck. We'll also stain the front Trex deck to match the back.

I would like a lighter color, darker than the natural wood it is now, but not quite as red as this one.

maybe even a stain that matches the greige we will be painting the siding.

The only problem I see with the griege stain is too much of the same color, especially in the front of the house where there is more siding. And either way I like, it won't match the existing deck and arbor in the back yard which is visible past the gate.

What do you think?

Comments (11)

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Why not let it weather naturally?

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I like the 3rd one...greige...

• WendyB 5A/MA
    10 years ago

I like the greige too. Hardscape should just be a background. The surrounding plants should be the stars. The greige makes an excellent background for plants.

Is there a door?

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

There's not really a door, or gate into the courtyard. We made one of the panels removable so we could get things in and out, but it's not accessible from the outside.

I don't like the way cedar ages naturally. It usually discolors near the bottom first and looks really tacky for a long time before the whole things grays, and then it's not a pretty gray, IMO.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

That's cedar? I thought it was pine.

I like the third one best, or paint it the same color as either your siding or trim.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Yes, I like the third one the best and the dark brown the least. I don't like naturally aged fences either.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, we're all agreed that the gray stain is best. So how does it look with the posts and shutters in front that are also going to be rough cedar?

• WendyB 5A/MA
    10 years ago

Oh, the fence was gray? I thought you said greige. The picture is hard to see it real well with the shadows.

Can the posts be stained the same as the fence?

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Greige is just a shade of gray isn't it? The color I picked is Stonehenge Greige, but it looks like a dirty gray to me. Maybe I should say an earthy gray.

• blfenton
    10 years ago

I like the greige because I think it sets the brick off really nicely. I don't care for the brown.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

I had the builder use a stain which is possibly as close to weathered wood as possible on the fence as well as barn door style garage doors. There's also a pair of French looking shutters(rounded at the top)on a second story small window above the front door in the same stain.

With a sprinkler system as well as rain, the weather color stain is ideal.

Any other wood features on the house should be re-done in the same stain color, whatever color you use.