Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grlwprls

(still) Working on that Darn Foyer!

grlwprls
11 years ago

Okay, I've decided that part of the problem with my foyer is the scale of the mirror. I need a taller, narrower mirror. I have one, so that's good :-) Nice to do some shopping in the basement for once.

I liked chijim's suggestion of the trumeau - or at least the idea of the "panel" behind it. I'm doing an interpretation of it by painting a wide single stripe of a deep coral on the wall behind the cabinet and the figurine lamps. The benefit of this is that the deeper color grounds the black shades and makes them feel less contrast-y.

Granted, the color looks pretty terrible in this swatch, but it looks good in real life. No, really. The color doesn't really match the lamps, but I notice that it does help the more vibrant orange details stand out a bit more.

I hope I am on the right track with this, but it is only paint and a little spackle if I'm wrong. But I like the energy it adds to the foyer. We have a lot of bold art on the first floor and the foyer seems/seemed out of balance with the rest of the main floor because it is very pastel and beige.

Comments (27)

• teeda
    11 years ago

I really like the lamp against the new color!

• yayagal
    11 years ago

I love the color and how well the lamp looks against it. Keep it up.

• rosie
    11 years ago

What I notice on so many pictures posted here and on TV shows (and right here at home) is that the befores suffer from wimpiness, timidity, overconventionalism, banality. Nice to see what you're doing. Whether your end result is perfect or not yet quite what you want, I feel sure you're headed the right direction.

• luckygal
    11 years ago

Have you considered painting the entire foyer in that lovely coral color? I'm not sure a patch of colored paint will resemble a Trumeau mirror.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

I agree with luckygal. I went back and looked at your original post and it looks like the wall behind the lamps would be perfect for an accent wall in that gorgeous color. It looks like you have a natural break in the wall to end it and would look more cohesive than a strip of color, I think. I'm not sure why accent walls have fallen out of favor (overdone, maybe?) but I think some of these really "make" the spaces.

[Eclectic Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2104) by Boise Interior Designer Judith Balis

[Eclectic Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2104) by Jamestown Furniture And Accessories Barbara Schaver @ Furnitureland South

[Contemporary Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2103) by San Francisco Interior Designer Fiorella Design

• funkyart
    11 years ago

I agree with all of the previous posters.. and I especially like orange accent walls. I think the modern color will help connect the lamps/foyer to the rest of your house. I say go for it, grl!

• grlwprls
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I did decide to go with just a standard accent wall because the awkward nature of the foyer was just highlighted by the stripe (once I taped it off). I think in the right instance it could be grand, but I already have the cabinet offset to allow the powder room door to swing open (a fine idea, that!)

I've got the grey primer up and plan to do the (hopefully only) two coats of final color tomorrow.

And, I hate to say it, but I am looking longingly at a modern glass console table...and moving the sideboard upstairs. I just feel like it is far too heavy for the tiny awkward foyer the longer I look at it. The trouble with this house is that we just have so few good walls for furniture and until we have the money to renovate the second floor back to its normal 1920's function (3 bedrooms, one hall bath) the second floor is a bit of a furniture graveyard. A cluttered, non-functioning furniture graveyard.

Sigh.

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

So will the color be the coral, or orange? Why the gray primer? I've only used it when painting a deep red.

I like the idea of a glass or even a mirrored console table, especially in a smaller space. Try craigslist.

Keep us posted. ;o)

• grlwprls
    Original Author
    11 years ago

patty_cakes,

The color is a corally orange and its "notes" in the computer and on the strip said to use a level one primer. Even though my walls are SW Creamy, I decided to "do the right thing" and use the lightly tinted primer.

• grlwprls
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's the foyer with a single coat of the final color. I will say that using the recommended primer made a huge difference in coverage. My swatch was white poster board and it took 3 coats, whereas the color is very rich and developed with only the initial coat over the greyish primer.

Granted, I'm doing a second coat, but the first one looks really good!

• anitamo
    11 years ago

Oooh, I like it! Great choice.

• amykath
    11 years ago

Perfect color choice! Its very warm and inviting. Good job!!! Can not wait to see more as it comes along!

Amy

• grlwprls
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! I'm pretty excited about it. Thank goodness for frog tape. Once I taped off the stripe I was instantly non-plussed with that option.

I might even try to move a different console table in there just to see if a "lighter" piece works better.

The only downside is that it is making the Ultra Cheap and Crappy hollow core slab door into the powder room look even worse. I could not imagine that it could look any worse, but hoo boy, does it. So glad my solid 5 panel door and new hardware is on order.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    11 years ago

It's GORGEOUS says this orange lover. What brand and color paint is it?

• grlwprls
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's Sherwin Williams 6620 "Rejuvenate" in Emerald - matte, flat (whatever they call it).

It's one down from Sockeye so maybe the folks at SW see it more in the salmon family than the coral family.

• grlwprls
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And the (unaccessorized...the story of my life) final product:

and with a little peek of the front door:

The colors in the picture are a little (okay, a lot) off on my monitor. It's really a perfect warm coral that blends/coordinates with other orange things on the first floor, yet does not match them (or the orange in the lamps).

I'm very pleased. Some accessories and I'll be thrilled!

• grlwprls
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is a little closer to the real color:

• nini804
    11 years ago

That is so pretty! You have a great eye!

• threeapples
    11 years ago

Gorgeous! And I second nini, you have a great eye.

• anele_gw
    11 years ago

I love it. Coral is one of my favorite colors, but it's hard to find the right shade. Yours is perfect.

• Arapaho-Rd
    11 years ago

Opting to do the whole wall in coral versus a stripe was a great decision. It looks wonderful and the new mirror makes a huge difference. Love the black shades as well. In the end, your choices are perfect!

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

It's a beautiful, perfect, *true* coral! The mirror, lamps w/black shades is striking. ;o)

• User
    11 years ago

That is a lovely color!

• grlwprls
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone. I have to say, the foyer really energizes the first floor now. It's the perfect welcoming accent to the house. Once I find some accessories to warm up the space and layer it a bit, it will be perfect. But much like the rest of the first floor, it's off to a great start. I appreciate having a place to bounce some ideas off of people and to get some feedback.

• kellienoelle
    11 years ago

So pretty, I love how you took the lamps that weren't your normal decorating style but held sentimental value and decided to highlight them! That coral wall is so pretty and the perfect backdrop

• autismmom
    11 years ago

looks gorgeous love it, great job!!!!!

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Wonderful!

And I agree with your earlier idea that a visually lighter table might be even better.