Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicole0007

Who makes the longest lasting, best stone impregnator/sealer??

nicole0007
13 years ago

Hi, Can anyone tell me the best brand/name of natural stone (travertine - cappucino) SEALER + IMPREGNATOR that I can buy for sealing & impregnating it when the installation is complete? We're doing the sealing part ourselves (to save $ and because it isn't a big area and we're DIYers) so I'll buy the best there is. We're talking less than 200 sq.ft. of it. It will be in the kitchen and laundry so since I'm going to be doing the work myself, I want the best product for the job. In my days spent looking for the stone itself, one dealer alluded to a product that is out there that lasts 15 years on travertine/nat. stone and that the installer had to be "taught and certified" on how to apply it before they'd sell it. As it happened, I didn't buy the stone from them and therefore don't know the name of the product or the manuf. Can anyone help? They are starting next week and I want to have this on hand to do when they finish the stone and before they come in to do the wood....

What are you favorite brands or experiences? Thanks for your help. Nicole

Comments (9)

• User
    13 years ago

When we installed our slate, Miracle 511 was recommended to me by Bill Vincent, one of the tile pro's in the bathroom forum. It works for all stone and did great for us. I just called the company the other day to inquire about resealing and the told me me the original applications are good for 3-5 years.

You can get it at Home Depot, I had read that the one sold at HD was inferior to other products Miracle sells but the tech told me the other day that this isn't true it's all the same strength.

To find out what specific product would best work for you, you can call their 800 # as well, here's the link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Miracle Products

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

Porous Plus by Miracle is considered far and away the BEST impregnating sealer by stone professionals. I use it on all my marble and quartzite. If you go to the Miracle web site there's a chart of recommendations. Porous Plus may be overkill for travertine, I never had that so I'm not sure. In which case their Miracle 511 would be great, and less expensive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Miracle Sealants

• mybrowneyedgirls
    13 years ago

How does the Miracle 511 do for sealing the grout? We just had our travertine backsplash put in, and the tiles and grout were sealed with the 511. I noticed that the grout is very lightly staining when I splashed coffee on it. They did come back and reseal for me though, so maybe it will be better this time?

• nicole0007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all for the help. Much appreciated. I did find out that the 15 yr impregnator/sealer is made by "Dry Treat". They required a certified person that has the proper installation instructions do it to ensure the 15 yr warranty. Don't know if they would let someone off the street "learn" what there is to know etc.
    I'll just go with 511 or the product by DuPont.

Thanks, Nicole

• callie25
    13 years ago

TileLab makes a 20 year product (per label is a stone, grout & tile sealer). I think they also offer a sealer that's less expensive (but rep told me you might have to recoat once a year). I opted for the 20 yr product (thus far, it's been 1 1/2 yrs....no mold or mildew. All I do is wipe with a damp cloth. I just made sure all joints were well coated....(I used multiple coats) follow the directions to the letter. I learned this when I regrouted my tile shower (leaving out a step makes a huge difference.

We purchased TileLab at Home Depot. Definitely a good product.

• User
    13 years ago

Tilelab has mixed reviews by the pros. If you go to the johnbridge site, there are several conversations about it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Professional tiler site.

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

I don't know how it holds up long-term, though some of the guys over on the JB forum swear by it--STT's SB sealer. We used it last year in our new bathrooms on honed travertine, split face mosaic, White Thassos pieces and mosaic, and on our grout (TEC XT grout--not necessary to seal it, but we did). So far everything looks great.

I applied it myself (DH helped over tubs because I couldn't reach that high!). It's very easy to apply and buff off the excess (Porous Plus was a b**ch to buff off the travertine in our guest bathroom--very smudgy and smeary, lots of haze). It has very minimal odor, too which was a big consideration for us, as our bathrooms are tight quarters, and one has no window.

FYI, I ordered a can from John Koessler (he's on the JB forum), who is one of their distributors.

• chisue
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

OT: Can I *make* a poultice? Is there a product I should look for to pull mild discoloration from my kitchen granite? (It is polished Costa Esmerelda -- mostly 'money green' with veins of black, some white quartz running through it.) The house is 14 years old -- granite never sealed, per instruction of the installer. I believe this granite originates in Iran.