Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
klavr

Need a green paint color suggestion for kitchen

klavr
16 years ago

Help! I am going crazy trying to find the right green for my kitchen. I'm looking for a subtle green, maybe a grayish green, if that makes sense. Not too dark, not too minty. I have baltic brown granite. I was looking at Ralph Lauren's Kauai, but then thought it may be too minty. Have any suggestions for a pretty green made by RL, Glidden or Behr. I have included pictures. Thanks so much for your help!

Comments (30)

• mlraff53
    16 years ago

Hello, I went through the same problem. I even posted about a good ralph lauren green. I finally chose BM Baby Turtle (but mixed in ralph lauren paint by HD). I love it!!!!! Did I say I loved it? Search it here and you'll see lovely pictures. I haven't finished my remodel so I don't have very good pics yet but here's what I got.

• klavr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks so much. I do like it a lot. Can you tell me how to search for other pictures using that color. Sorry! I am new to this forum and can't seem to find any when I enter BM baby turtle in the seach field. :(

• User
    16 years ago

You find Baby Turtle and other greens in the gallery.
    Scroll down to the bottom of the front page and click on Gallery. Then go to the Greens thread

Here is a link that might be useful: Greens in the Gallery

• mlraff53
    16 years ago

What chloe said. If not search baby turtle only (no BM). There is a reader here that used it and her house was my inspiration.

• mlraff53
    16 years ago

I forgot to mention not to use the search on top. When you are on the decorating forum with the list of topics, at the bottom there is another search (this forum) and type it there.

• tracey_b
    16 years ago

A nice gray green is SW Svelte Sage or the lighter Grassland. I've used both. You can always have SW or BM colors matched in the brand you want to use....

Tracey

• Rudebekia
    16 years ago

I just painted my kitchen a wonderful greenish-gray: Muralo paint's Prairie Path. It is gorgeous, and fabulous paint to work with.

• straitlover
    16 years ago

Another suggestion - SW Clary Sage. I am debating between that at Sprout (which woudl probably be too yellow green for you). Pick up the chip at SW and have it color matched at HD or Lowes.

• Sueb20
    16 years ago

Sorry I can't recommend greens in the brands you mentioned, but Gray Mirage and Camouflage are both subtle gray-greens in Benjamin Moore.

• justretired
    16 years ago

No suggestions on a green-I am clueless about greens. But I wanted to say that I LOVE your granite. Beautiful!

JR

• n2cookin
    16 years ago

One word of caution about SW Clary Sage, it goes on a lot darker than what you see on the paint chip. I have it in my MBR and I love love love greens but for some reason, I'm getting tired of it. Something about it is kinda....pukey? Might be the grayness. Now I wish I would've used a much softer sage with a more green tone rather than gray.

• tfm1134
    16 years ago

I painted mine LA Olive2 and just love it!

• patricianat
    16 years ago

With your stainless, brushed stainless or whatever it is, I think dry sage would work great with your kitchen. It will blend well wit the grayish undertones in it, whereas some of the others with more yellow will dull the look of your silvery tones.

• judithn
    16 years ago

What color do you have on your walls now? I think it's very pretty. I can see why you'd want green though. It will definitely play off nicely against the other colors in the kitchen.

• klavr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Currently, I think I have Church Hill Hotel Maple by Valspar at Lowes. Not absolutely sure though! Just too dull. Would like to add a little color..

• girlygirls
    16 years ago

I just painted my kitchen green. I used Lion by Behr paint. I love it. My cabinets are similar to yours.

• Jeane Gallo
    16 years ago

Hi klavr,
    We used Alexander Julian at Home "Branch" (AJ719) from Lowes and had it mixed using their house paint which is now called Valspar. We both love it. We have it in our kitchen, nook and great room. It seems to blend with almost everything. Here's some pictures, I don't seem to have any of just the kitchen. These are from one of our annual Halloween parties. Our kitchens looks pretty similar in style. The close up by the bar stools is more what the color looks like in real life. I don't have my granite yet. Our builder wanted about way more than what we could have it done for, so we decided to have it done after we moved in. Three years later, still haven't done it. Hubby wanted to build additional 2-car garage instead.

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• klavr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jeane gallo- LOVE IT!! I think this will be what I use. Thank you so much for the picture. It makes it so much easier for me.

• ttodd
    16 years ago

I used BM Baby Turtle in my LR and in my house it does not look anything at all like in mlraff53 pic. Pictures & monitors do funny things to color as well as lighting, flash & exposure. The color is very warm & leans very much towards the browner side which makes it very liveable for me. In fact when I 1st put it up you couldn't convince me that it was green at all until I swapped out the cream curtains for sagey-olivey colored ones & now it appears green all of the time. Room exposure is NE. The color in the pics is very true to the color in person. This green looks wonderful w/ black & rich wood tones.

2 Pics of BM Baby Turtle (BT):

I also used BM Flowering Herbs which is 1 up from BT. It could go khaki during a sunny day to greyish on a cloudy day. Always warm green at night:

BM Flowering Herbs:

I love BT & plan on using it in my next home.

For the record I think that Redbazel is probably the one who inspired mlraff53 to use BT. She was my inspiration too.

• mlraff53
    16 years ago

ttodd, you're right my color doesn't look like my picture. I have flourescent lighting in the kitchen and it changes it. But in my den it's totally different. In person it looks alot like your second picture. After I posted the pic I realized that it didn't really look like it should.
    It was redbazel's house that I fell in love with. That's why I mentioned it, her pictures of the color are better.
    I bought some bronze curtains that look amazing with the baby turtle.

• Happyladi
    16 years ago

I have to agree with Tracy B that Sherwin Williams svelte sage is a great looking grayed green. My hairdresser has it in her shop and I liked it so much that I asked her the color.

The color on the small swatch does not do it justice.

• mrsmarv
    16 years ago

Voice of dissention here. Since there doesn't appear to be any green in your granite, and your wood tones on the cabinetry and flooring go so well with the granite, I would stick with something in the gold/ochre family. Either that, or something complimentary on the color wheel. Rather than having green on the wall, I would incorporate green in your accessories, along with the wall color. However much you love it, somehow I just think green would throw the look off.

• walkin_yesindeed
    16 years ago

Mrsmarv, you emboldened me. I agree: I don't think sage green is the right color for this kitchen. Maybe olive, with a slightly more bronzy tone. Photoshoppers? Anyone?

If you do have your heart set on the gray-green, I'd strongly recommend painting your choices on foamcore board and putting them in your kitchen for a few days, and seeing how they play with your granite, appliances, etc....

• oceanna
    16 years ago

I wouldn't put a grey green in there, but we all have our druthers. I don't have much wall to paint in my kitchen, but I used a nice apple green -- not loud, but uplifting -- in mine and I really like it.

• klavr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, you are both right. I tried some grayish greens last night and hate it. We have decided to go with an olive and I really like it. I will post pics when done. Thanks so much for ALL of your help!!!

• Jeane Gallo
    16 years ago

Hi kalvr,
    I took this picture today around noon. Our nook faces west, so the kitchen is pretty much in the center of the house with no window walls. I think you will be very happy with the Branch. I like the baby turtle, but I think it has a little too much brown for our cabs and counters. You can't see it here, but our great room has wood floors similar to the cabinet color. The kitchen tile is tannish gold.

{{!gwi}}

• Vith
    9 years ago

Maybe Olive Branch, or Dry Sage. I am currently working finding a shade of green for my basement. I just learned of Dry Sage so I need to try a sample of that. From online pics I am on the fence so we will see!

Forewarning, anything green or yellow is SUPER hard to figure out, dont be discouraged with how long it takes, and dont settle for one you dont like otherwise you will just have to repaint it in the future anyhow! Also, stay away from bold/bright colors with green or yellow.

Green is a mix of yellow and blue. If you have warm lights (yellow) then the green will be more green. The fluorescence lighting they use in a lot of stores are too bright and the wrong color. It adversely affects how the swatch looks both in color and in brightness.

Brown = warm
    Yellow = warm
    Blue = cool

Your brown/gold countertop would complement a green that is warmer.

Hope this helps!

Edit: Pic below is BM olive branch. Other colors that are good:
    BM Dry Sage https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/e3/2c/5e/e32c5eeba20036db34bfe6c92e5c418a.jpg (couldnt figure out how to upload more than one pic)
    BM baby turtle (lighter than olive branch)
    BM flowering herbs (lighter than baby turtle)
    BM nantucket gray (darker than olive branch)
    BM hampshire gray (darker than nantucket)

This post was edited by Vith on Tue, Jan 20, 15 at 16:33

• teresa_nc7
    9 years ago

I have BM Dried Parsley in my dining room and I love it - not too bright, not dull, similar to the Baby Turtle but a softer green. Goes well with my dark wood antiques in there and the BM Cotton Boll trim on the windows, doors, and baseboards.

Teresa

• gmp3
    9 years ago

I had baby turtle in my last house, it is lovely, In this house my bath is painted BM Grasshopper. Both are soft and would look great with your cabinets.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    9 years ago

Hello! This thread is 7 years old. I would hope the OP is still not looking for green paint!

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County