Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daphnegh

Decorating a long hallway?!

daphnegh
10 years ago

Hi all!

First post here, hoping to get some advice. I'm terrible with home decor.

My home is long with narrow hallways (see pic). We have one on the main floor and another in the basement. Walls are neutral (grey or beige).

How can I decorate/accessorize to make it less boring and more homey? Links to specific recommendations would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance :-)

Comments (13)

• badgergal
    10 years ago

Long hallways are great for a gallery type display. If you google "gallery display hallway", you will get lots of great examples and ideas.
    For my hallway, I just used family pictures with whatever frames they were already in or frames that I had collecting dust in the basement. It certainly could have been done with a more designer/decorator look but that didnt really matter to me. The wall on the right is actually a memorial to my son who passed away 9 years ago. My hallway is not by my front entry way but can be seen from my great room. Guests have wandered done the hallway just to check out the pictures. I always get positive comments about the walls of pictures.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    10 years ago

You could beef up the lighting too with a pretty fixture. And a bright colorful runner would add a warm touch.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

There is no room for furniture in that hallway, so you have to have the floor and walls give the hallway character.

If you can afford it, I would invest in an authentic Persian runner, then hang paintings or photos along the walls, as others have suggested.

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

Yours is narrow and to avoid making it look even more so, I suggest first breaking up the floor space with 2-3 rugs, as in Alex's first photo. Can you see how it's working there? The rugs keep it from taking on a bowling alley look. Larger framed prints, as opposed to many small ones, will help create visual interest without creating a closed-in feeling. Each stops your eye, but it's not jarringly so. When you look at Alex's first photo, do you see how the light colored large mats and the narrow frames keep the wall from looking cluttered?

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

The hallway is broken into sections by the beams on the ceiling.

Paint the molding or the panel inside the molding a different color. Instant visual break.

Or, paint the walls for each section in a different color. Just a shade darker will make a big difference in the bowling alley look.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I have a long hallway.

I framed the kids art work and put it up gallery style. I just used Michael's. and simple black frames (albeit custom and matted, etc).

I do not have rugs but I tried a few. I agree that one long runner exacerbates the look.

One thing you want to do is try to make a focal point at the end of the hall? Some visual interest?

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Tib, do you mean an Oriental rug or a Persian? Persians are extremely expensive. I have one in the LR but it doesn't get heavy traffic like it would in a hallway.

We have two oriental runners made of wool and they hold up great.

I'd definitely start with two runners though.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I do mean Persian, which is why I said, "If you can afford it". I think if you're going for that look, you have to be careful because rugs trying to look like Persians are not good and look cheap. I'm a bit biased here, because I grew up in an area of brownstones where everyone has the long hallways and the high ceilings and had Persians on their floors (including my own house) and they last forever and are so gorgeous. But they are definitely an investment, no doubt about it. If, after 20 years, there is some wear or fading with a Persian, all you do is get out the Magic Markers and color them in. Believe me, I am not at all wealthy, but Persian rugs are one of the few things I believe are worth the money - them, a good sofa, and good mattresses. Other than that, it's CL for furniture and decor (or Christmas Tree Shops, or HomeGoods).

I agree that your hall would do well with probably three separate runners, and again, with Persians, they don't have to match and in fact would look great with three different designs. To me, there are a couple things that always work, no matter what: Persian rugs, and reclaimed wood furniture.

• andee_gw
    10 years ago

Persian rugs are a subset of Oriental rugs. The terms can be casually used interchangeably, and are. The "orient" used to mean more than just "east asia" as we tend to mean nowadays -- it included "Persia", which no longer exists as well as modern day countries that produce hand-knotted rugs.

• alex9179
    10 years ago

Mmmmm, yes. Non-matching, but complementary, persian (oriental) rugs.

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Tib, I didn't see the "afford" part. Sorry. lol.

Andee, there is a huge difference between Persian and Oriental. It's not just where they're made, it has to do with the pile. My feet prefer the persian. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Oriental vs. Persian

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I also use "Persian" and "Oriental" interchangeably. But I much prefer the rugs from places like Iran and Pakistan and Turkey than those from China. In fact, I don't like Chinese rugs at all.

But those Persian/Orientals are the bees' knees.