Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deegw

Think You Know ugly? Think Again.

deegw
10 years ago

We spend a fair amount of time on this board defining trendy, classic, fads, etc. I thought the group would find this article interesting.

I love this quote from the article:

"Most people are influenced by the dominant tastes and fashion sensibilities of their generation, class, and ethnic group, and when you remove those factors from the equation, an exact, universal definition of "ugliness" becomes almost impossible to pin down."

Here is a link that might be useful: Think You Know Ugly?

Comments (11)

• stolenidentity
    10 years ago

I liked the sunflower spoons ;)

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

I didn't think anything but the racist or sexist stuff was particularly ugly as individual objects. (But I am not sure what the matches or falsies had to do with an article about decorative objects, except that they reflect a particular culture).

• patricianat
    10 years ago

All of it reflects a time in history, whether we find it racist at this time or not. The times in which these objects were a part of pop culture, the items were accepted as the norm. We are probably doing and saying things right now which, in 50-60 years, will be considered indecent or prejudiced, like making light of others' collections.

I found it interesting and growing up with Pop and Olive, I thought that was cute! I wore a lot of those poly items from the 1970s and my marriage home started out Danish Modern.

Who knows how long it will take for Popeye and Olive Oyl to be sainted or disparaged. Time changes things, all things. Be not judgmental of the past or the future. You never know what directions and what twists things in pop culture will take you and me.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

You never know what directions and what twists things in political corrections/pop culture will take you and me. Sorry, but something is wrong on the home front and I could not edit my post in a proper manner. It was gibberish on the edit end,

• violetwest
    10 years ago

interesting article. I think the message about the racist or political stuff is that "ugly" also means aggressive and disturbing.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Totally agree Patricia.

• sixtyohno
    10 years ago

Thanks for a great article. Just think about the swastika. Before the Nazis took it over, it was a symbol of good luck and prosperity. All different cultures used it. Now it is an ugly and hateful symbol of killing, destruction and racism. Could anyone think anything else in the 20th and 21st centuries?

• Mmmbeeer
    10 years ago

I enjoyed the unusual perspective the author offered. It makes a lot of sense to me. I may favor some decor over others--I much prefer cottagey to Southwest, contemporary to rustic, simple to ornate etc. but I can find examples of every genre where I find a room or a home to be beautiful. Very thought provoking article!

• Em11
    10 years ago

I have some of those stork scissors in my desk drawer. I found them in my Mom's desk after she died. Didn't know what they were for.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I love millefiori and I have some nice carnival glass too...not at all ugly to my eye...and those brutalist buildings....not for me.

Interesting to contrast with studies of beauty around the world and at least with men and women, there seems to be some consistency...the indicators of good genetic stock (facial symmetry) and child bearing (waist to hip ratio)...seem to be attractive features across cultures.

• User
    10 years ago

I know ugly when I see it, but only as I see it.

As I've gotten older I have learned to find beauty where I would not have seen it before, in texture, function, shape, unusual colors or finishes or even in conflicting materials used together.

For me, beauty and quality are determined by the places where two different types of materials or different pieces of the same material meet/ join. The finished edges of things should be clean, we'll defined, well constructed, and sharply delineated.