Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Would you do this? re: Interior Designer

Posted by fillagirl (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 14:01

Hi, I am updating my LR and DR. I am not doing a major renovation, what I am doing is replacing the flooring, the furniture (in both rooms including sofa, chairs, tables, and dining room suite), choosing new paint and new draperies and accessories. I know what feel I am looking for (classic, elegant, soft, neutral) and have torn pictures out of magazines and off Houzz website that I like.

I hired an ID for an initial consult that lasted 2 hours and cost $250. She had some good ideas and I believe understands where I want to go. I like her but feel her taste might be a bit more "modern" than mine, but again, maybe I'm not up-to-date on what is current. She's came for another visit (1 hr) and did a bit of research on room ideas. I have not verbally committed to work with her at this point, but have not said that to her.

I went to another store to get carpet samples and ran into another ID that my friend used and really liked. Now I am thinking that perhaps I should hire her for a consult, to see what her ideas might be.

I am thinking that a) I will get more ideas but afraid that b) that will make me even more indecisive....(the reason I hired an ID in the first place).

Have you ever been in this situation - what did you do? If you haven't, what would you do???

Thanks for weighing in, I'm really trying to move this project forward sooner than later!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Would you do this? re: Interior Designer

Since you are hiring the two designers and paying them for their time, you can certainly go ahead with a second opinion, if you think it will be helpful. I always advise people to look beyond styles, and see if a designer's work uses scale, proportion, and color in a pleasing way, even if the specific schemes are not for you.

Have you seen the first designer's book, and have you seen examples that show that she can work to your taste? What about the second one? Do you like what she did for your friend better than what the first one suggested?

A good designer will be able to show you things you wouldn't have known about or thought of, but shouldn't try to steer you away from your own taste. And as the client, you have to be able to say, "Oh, that's very nice, but it just doesn't appeal to me." If you can explain why, you make her job much easier, and she should be able to hit the mark from then on. If have to keep saying it, she's the wrong one for you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here