Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rule for painting quotes

Posted by dabunch (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 13:58

Can anyone tell me IF there is a simple rule on painting quotes? I don't feel like getting fifty quotes.

I need an open area painted with not much wall space . Most of the area has molding on it. The kitchen is mostly cabinets. I read about sq footage, but it doesn't seem right if I need half walls painted. Besides, an open space is deceiving, if youre missing 1/3 of the walls.

I'm in CT.
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rule for painting quotes

You are right, there is much more involved in a painting quote than square footage.

The purpose of getting a quote from a painter is so you can 1) meet the painter and 2) compare his quote with that of other painters. Variables that need to be pinned down so that they are all quoting for the same work include: who is buying the paint, the brand of paint if they are providing it, how many coats of paint they are going to apply, whether the area needs to be primed, and whether they will do prep work such as sanding bumps and repairing holes. And probably others.

o
RE: Rule for painting quotes

What graywings said. And I would add: do they remove light fixtures and replace them along with the switch plates,etc. Do they cover furniture or move it out of the way and move it back.
Painting walls with a lot of cabinet and moulding may seem like you have less square footage therefore less cost, but prep work including masking is of utmost importance IMO and takes time. Some painters charge by the job, depending on what it is, rather than keep to square footage or hours. I have a longtime trusted painter that has done both types of jobs for me and because I know his work ethic and quality, I take his "quote" as fair and honest and don't bother with further quotes. I like to paint as well and do what I feel like doing for myself. But when it comes to the more complex areas, I leave it to "Jack" and pay the price.

I would begin by getting recommendations from neighbors or friends based on quality of workmanship and go from there. If a job is well done, you won't even worry that you may have spent a little extra money.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here