Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vangoghsuz

Paint- Blue Grey Master Bath with Pics

VangoghSuz
11 years ago

I am trying to repaint our master bath to feel more like a spa- relaxing. The only things I want to do is change the paint and get white towels. I have tried Benjamin Moore:

1632 Glass Slipper (too pale looked white)
1634 Santorini Blue (too blue)
HC-150 Yarmouth Blue (the best so far)
HC-149 Buxton Blue- Too deep blue
2131 Nibmus Gray- Too dark Grey
1563 Quiet Moments- LOVE this in my basement but didnâÂÂt love it in my bathroom

What do you think? Am I making a mistake changing the color? Do you have another color to suggest?

I think I want it on the lighter side- a hint of grey is fine but I am more drawn to the blues. Hubby doesnâÂÂt want the bathroom to feel like a babyâÂÂs room.

Thank you in advance!!!

Comments (68)

• VangoghSuz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kevin your house is beautiful!! Loooove that color- still nervous about will it work in my space - you have a lot of white which is maybe why it works so well.

• allison0704
    11 years ago

Kevin, DD2 is looking for 2 light fixtures for her kitchen. Which manufacturer/model are yours? The paint color is very pretty also.

• VangoghSuz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I found a BM program
    Interesting BM Mount St Mary is on the same strip as Quiet Moments (Which I LOVE) we put that color in the basement but didnâÂÂt look good in the bathroom. Could be that Blue is just not working. Though I did like Beach Glass which is the color in between Quiet Moments and Mount Saint Mary

This is Beach Glass.

• VangoghSuz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is Mt St Mary

• VangoghSuz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is Metropolitan

Any other neutrals I should try??

• kellienoelle
    11 years ago

I like the last one, the BM Metropolitan. I can see what was being said about mixing the blue with the brown, but think this one is muted enough to give you that spa like look that you were after without screaming baby blue.

Last year we actually did a mini reno of our powder room with a new brown marble counter and stained the vanity a dark mocha. My plan was to paint the walls since I was sure the existing blue/gray would look horrible. But when it was all put together, I was pleasantly surprised that it worked together, even though it wasn't supposed to. The blue is called Calming Space, and I would be happy to show a picture, but suspect it will work best in a dark windowless room and read too blue in your bright and well lit room .

• patricianat
    11 years ago

One of my bathrooms is similar to yours and I tried using blues and it just did not work. I ended up changing the monochromatic coloring to dry sage, not blue, which is very close to silver sage.
    I could not find a single blue that would work, and I was told by decorator sister to forget it and live with the blue in another bath that has blue slate tile, blue pearl granite and white furnishings, and I did, and it looks beautiful but it just did not work with the limestone and Tuscan beige look bath and I am really straining to make the dry sage work, but it's almost painting time again.

• VangoghSuz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kellie
    I would love to see it if you have pics- its actually not very bright in the bathroom...

Thank you :)

• kellienoelle
    11 years ago

Here is a link, like I mentioned it is a little windowless powder room. But it feels very calming in there to me!

• Vertise
    11 years ago

Strikingly beautiful combination, kellie! I see a periwinkle blue. Looks so pretty and fresh against the rich dark brown.

• Jamie
    11 years ago

You could try BM Horizon. It's kind of an un-color that I like.

• kellienoelle
    11 years ago

Thanks snookums, it was a pleasant and completely unplanned surprise to see, not to mention that I was delighted to not have to paint that room. I tried it in the laundry room since I had the left over paint, and didn't care for it quite as much. That room has a window, lighter brown floors, and oak trim, so I don't think it would work with this really pretty bathroom!

• KevinMP
    11 years ago

Kellie's blue seems like exactly the type of blue that your husband doesn't want.

I was torn between sea glass and Mount Saint Anne, too, so I guess that makes sense that they're both on the same color strip. I didn't want green because the room next to it BM Phillipsburg Blue, and that would look terrible transition-wise. Not wanting green and a lot of grays (many of which I feared would read lavender/taupe), it makes these blue-gray-greens really hard to pick.

Whoever asked about the light. It's like $10 at Ikea, believe it or not. I'm not sure it's still there because I bought it two years ago, but it's a great fixture (for the price especially).

• Vertise
    11 years ago

Here's a blue that looks a little muddy. Maybe what used to be called a dusty teal, lightened up. Of course, the color probably looks nothing like this, or the same to you. But check out a light dusty teal blue that's a little warmer and dirtier. It might relate better to your tile which is a muddy color. The fresher blues aren't going to mesh.

I think I would try the same overall value as the tile, rather than contrasting with something lighter or darker, although this one might not be bad. (From "The Alligator Box" blog). The peach is distracting but you can kind of see them together.

SW Silvermist

• geogirl1
    11 years ago

Ok, here is my two cents. You can't use those blue greys and green greys next to your tile. The beautiful blues that people have been showing are in over all white bathrooms. We used SW sea salt and SW comfort grey in our white bathroom and achieved the spa-like feel you are looking for. Your beige tiles just are not the correct tone for those colors. You can do a blue/beige room, but it is a different kind of blue - not the grey blues. I'd start looking at other color combinations that compliment your tile. Good luck.

• hobokenkitchen
    11 years ago

We love BM Wedgewood Gray - we've had several bedrooms painted that color.

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Your bathroom is beautiful. I would not go with a true blue with your tile, since the tile is so warm toned. I think I would try that dark chocolate color in your accent tile. If your heart is set on a blue, the lighter, gray-green blues seem to work better with what you have.

• lazydaisynot
    11 years ago

I have a small 1950's bath with original tile, tub, toilet, sink and tile counter in a peachy beige with a rusty brown tile counter edge. Walls are Silver Sage. The combination gives kind of a beachy feel. Trim and window blinds are creamy white, which lightens it up.

• patricianat
    11 years ago

try benjamin moore heavenly blue 709 at 50%

• kimberlyrkb
    11 years ago

Just a comment on Yarmouth Blue. We used it in a spare room and it's quite "baby blue." I am going to repaint it one of these days.

• Oakley
    11 years ago

I've also been looking back and forth at the pictures and I can't see blue for the walls. It just doesn't match.

Here's a color suggestion. Creamy white. Your tile is so beautiful so it should be the highlight of the room, IMO.

• mom2sethc
    11 years ago

Hello,

I'm getting ready to paint my master bath as well. I am the poster with the "yellow/brown" conflict that someone mentioned above. I also have tile very similar to yours. My dh doesn't want to go nuetral, he likes color as do I. We have decided on SW Silvermist. This is in the blue category, but it is a green/blue. I can't believe that only cream or tan will look good with my tile, really?? We have painted large pieces of wall board and put them in our bath and viewed the color in daylight, night, etc. We really like how this color goes with our tile and the brown accent tiles. I've seen plenty of pics in my deocrating mags of blue and brown rooms and I think they look great together. I do agree that the blue needs to be less gray and warmer, towards green to work. Hopefully we're not making a mistake with our color choice.

Elaine

• patricianat
    11 years ago

try benjamin moore heavenly blue 709

• geokid
    11 years ago

Maybe it's just my monitor, but the blue walls make the tile look pink. I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I don't think blue automatically equals spa. I think spa is just the calming feeling created with the right mix of colors and materials.

I think a more neutral color would give you the feeling you are looking for.

[Contemporary Bathroom design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2103) by San Francisco General Contractor Harrell Remodeling

If you want to go blue, I think you should go more turquoise.

Here is a link that might be useful: Elements of a Spa bath

• slflaherty
    11 years ago

I would strongly suggest you check out SW Sea Salt. Our Master Bedroom is painted this colour and I love it!

• VangoghSuz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kelly- Thank you - your bath is Beautiful!!!! but I think it works b/c its a powder room.

Geokid- thanks for the pics- some of those paint colors are very nice (not into turquiose personally)

Steph I wil check out sea salt

My short list is:
    SW Sea Salt
    BM Mount Saint Anne
    Restoration Hardware Silver Sage
    BM Beach Glass

Thank you

• geokid
    11 years ago

I didn't think the turquoise would fly. :-) But some people really like that sea and sand look. If I had a beach home I would consider it.

• mom2sethc
    11 years ago

Hello,

You may also want to check out Sherwin Williams Contented 6191. I have similar tile to you and I am going with the Contented. I considered SW Silvermist, however I think Contented works better for this reason. Both of these colors are similar blue/ green's, Silvermist is from the "blue" family and Contented is from "Cool Neutral" family. The Contented is more green and therefore warmer, and goes better with my warm tile.

• busybee3
    11 years ago

i don't think i would love any blue with your tile... maybe something like silver sage would work, and you know the look you're going for and know what is pleasing to your eye...

i have marble in our bath that has similar tones as your bathroom and i initially envisioned a silver-sagey sort of color in there, but with our tiles, those colors just didn't look right to me. i didn't want to tan or gold of a color in there--i ended up putting bm glacial till on the walls--- it's a greige and i like it!! different than i wanted, but very nice!

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

I think you are seeing "something" in your counter and tile that we are not seeing on the monitor and I know that happens. You are convinced that there is a spa shade of blue that will work and all we are seeing is the pinkish/apricotish/tannish tones and I am thinking most/some of us can't see past the apricot walls.

When I look at the picture you posted of your floor and rug, I can see a blue gray shade working; when I look at the tile, I can't. When I look at the tile inside the shower through the glass, it seems to work. I can't see the vanity top close enough to tell.

Can you take some close-ups of each individual item - vanity top, tile, flooring so we can see them WITHOUT the apricot paint showing??

I it possible that you need to be leaning more towards a gray green??

• carolt924
    11 years ago

Take a look at SW Rainwashed. Although my bathtub/shower tile and fixtures are in bisquit my floor tile and vanity stain are very much in your color tones. This color reads as a very soft blue/green and I think looks beautiful with the dark brown vanity. It would be worth your while to spend $5 for a quart sample. You have a beautiful bath, enjoy!

• User
    11 years ago

I also don't see any shade of blue that will work with the orange red undertones of the beiges on your tile. A creamy off white with a subtle red undertone would set your tile off. Your tile work is very nice!

• patricianat
    11 years ago

My bathroom is almost identical (if you reverse the position of shower and tub) as the bath with the turquoise-look paint. I tried every way from Sunday to use any bluish tone paint but ended up with dry sage and love it.

• KevinMP
    11 years ago

What about Farrow and Ball pigeon?

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

I think Sherwin Williams Toasted pine nut 7696 would be nice and tranquil mixed with pale blue accessories.

• noellabelle
    11 years ago

my kitchen is sea salt, and my #2 pic was rainwashed. LOVE both of those colors so much! I think that rainwashed is a bit warmer/greener, and would work in your room.

• Janice742
    11 years ago

We did a green in our basement bathroom. We have similar warm tones as you do in our tiles as well as the wood color:

....but I totally get wanting to go the blue route. However, I have to agree with what many are saying in that the blue tones seem to work much better with white/cream bathrooms.

This post was edited by Janice742 on Wed, Mar 6, 13 at 14:17

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

I don't think any shade of blue would complement your tile which seems to have a peachy pink undertone, at least on my monitor. I think the colors would clash rather than create a soothing spa-like environment. Or maybe the wall color is just overwhelming the tiles. I'd probably try something light and neutral for tone on tone if I wanted soothing.

• dakota01
    11 years ago

I have similar tile colors, though mine has some grey, yellows and a smidge of green and I used EK champagne gold in the bath and mb. I did use blueish bedding but my mb furniture is on the light side and my carpet is cream.
    I Agee with others blue may not be the right color with your tile.
    The bluish green snookums posted with brown accents looked very spa like.

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

I think I'm the only one who disagrees that blue won't work in your bathroom. I can see a non-bright blue/green, e.g. Janice's color looks bluish to me, and it looks great.
    What about BM Palladian Blue?

• Janice742
    11 years ago

Is that Palladian blue in the second photo? That looks more blue, while the ceiling in the first looks more green.

It's so hard to tell with these monitors - as well as using flash photography. My bathroom is definitely green. I'll check the paint can - I forget what it is.

• mom2sethc
    11 years ago

Hi!

palladian is a tad more blue than BM wythe is. wythe is more green. . I have it in my entire basement. I'm attaching a pic of my basement bath. I have very similar tile as the op, I am going with SW contented, which is very similar to my wythe, it is a blue/green mix which leans more green. I have found in my bathroom that "more green" works better than "more blue".
    Acutally, the only reason we are not using wythe in our bath is because our bath opens to SW bamboo shoot in our master bedroom, and the Contented paint is listed on a brochure as being a match for bamboo shoot.

wythe blue, oh how I love thee! LOL!

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

I had a bit of inspiration from the great photos above. Since your tile undertones take on a different look in each of your bathroom pictures I would suggest getting some chits with med tone light creamy beige, taupe or a shade that would mesh maybe BM Berber White that has a few undertones?. A blue-ish on the ceiling would look real nice along with some blue-ish accessories. Check out SW6218 Trade Winds itâÂÂs a very calming blue-ish. So, how about that? Calm blue ceiling?

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Hopefully this is a better picture of BM Berber White on the wall and SW Tradewinds on the ceiling (IâÂÂm having a heck of a time with photobucket).

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

I have to agree Janice 742. I painted our master bath BM Woodlawn Blue with travertine tile in warmer tones and while the paint is beautiful, it just doesn't go with the tile. It's natural travertine stone in creams, browns, grays, pale golds. I'm thinking of painting it for the third time something with less contrast. Not as easy as it would seem to find a color to go with it. I agree that the blues look great with the white bathrooms, not so much with the travertine. I would put a blue on the ceiling but not on the walls if I had it to do over again.

• User
    11 years ago

If you want color try SW Comfort Gray, it's a greenish gray, one shade darker than SW Sea Salt (which had too much glare in our bathroom). I tend to recommend creams with travertine though because it doesn't compete with it though the darker mock up that GeoKid did looks really great too. Great job!

Hey Gr8day, how are you?

• geokid
    11 years ago

Thanks for the compliment lukkiirish, but that wasn't me that did the mock-up. I just posted a few pics I found online. :)

But I think we've lost the OP anyway....

• tergar
    11 years ago

SW Sea Salt and Comfort Gray!! I think it is your answer!! Also I think you need to paint white over the current color where you sample! The current color should not be surronding your sample swatch becasue it will seriously chnage how the color reads.

• seaswirl
    11 years ago

To VangohSuz: Can you tell me the names and sizes of all of your bathroom tiles? I'm at a dead end with my bathroom, and I love your selections.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

How did the painting go?