Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reno_fan

If anyone remembers my old ugly buffet from my garage...New pics!

reno_fan
16 years ago

I had posted a while back about this piece that I'd had in my garage or attic for over 15 years. It was my DH's great grandmother's, so I didn't feel right about tossing it out. I have hated this buffet for years!

But then we re-did the game room to be a sort of French Country tv room, and I thought the curly-cue lines that I hated so much might actually work in this room.

A friend with similar taste saw it and immediately said, "You need to paint it red!" I took a chance, and just finished painting and glazing it, and I actually like it! I may do another coat of glaze next week, but at least I know I can use and appreciate this furniture now. We're getting a new TV for the room, so the buffet will hold all the video games and movies.

The glaze isn't all the way dry yet, so it's photographing much brighter and more vivid than it looks it real life. It's really a very deep rusty red, and isn't as shiny.

Here are before/afters:

Comments (33)

• creekylis
    16 years ago

I LOVE it! Nice!

• roguevalley
    16 years ago

That looks awesome, reno!

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

Nice work! I love to see pieces transformed like this so they are loved and used again ;D

Would you share details of that red and the glaze?
    Thanks!

• redbazel
    16 years ago

Reno, all that piece needs now are some great vintage-looking pulls or knobs, maybe in black iron or even very dark oil rubbed bronze. It is a fabulous look and I can't believe how the color revived it!

Red

• User
    16 years ago

That looks absolutely wonderful. I agree some great antique hardware. Check Robinson's web site they have beautiful stuff. i got all mine form them. Caroline

• love-my-lilhome
    16 years ago

Fabulous reno. You amaze me. You have such an eye .
    As my mom use to say, "you can turn a sows ear into a silk purse".

It has character, you can't buy that in a store.

Linda

• powermuffin
    16 years ago

Very pretty with lots of personality! Don't ya love it when a plan comes together?
    Diane

• les917
    16 years ago

I'm sure great-grandmother would be pleased! A real country feel to the piece now. Great job!

• lynninnewmexico
    16 years ago

You did such a nice job on that . . . I love it! Please show us more pics once you have it back in your game room and all set up.

• organic_smallhome
    16 years ago

Wow. I think it's beautiful. Good job!!!

• kren_pa
    16 years ago

i remember the buffet...so glad to see it has a new career! it looks very nice, just the right shade of red! kren

• reno_fan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks all. I actually have the original hardware. I sort of like it. If I do look for replacement hardware, it will have to have a big, round escutcheon, as there are definite deep groove wear marks from the original hardware.

For now, I can live with the original stuff until I find something that jumps out at me.

I'll post pics in a few minutes when Photobucket stops being slow.....

• spanky_md
    16 years ago

Very pretty!

• reno_fan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here is the original hardware.

• User
    16 years ago

Beautiful...you done good. c

• DLM2000-GW
    16 years ago

What a great re-do of an interesting piece! Love it. I like having a house with quirky one of a kind pieces like that.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

Reno, please post the specifics on the paint and glaze you used. It looks lovely. Great job.

• reno_fan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sure thing. I actually sanded the piece about 10 years ago, and then decided it was too ugly to bother with!

Sanded
    Tack cloth
    Painted 2 coats of semi-gloss red paint (a color called Red Caboose I had leftover from another project)

Brushed on Minwax Wood Sheen Rubbing oil and stain finish and lightly rubbed off with a soft cloth.

That's it.

I will probably go ahead and do another light coat of the glaze next week after this is completely cured to take a little more of the edge off of the red.

Hope that helps.

• beausoleil
    16 years ago

I love how it turned out. I would be in heaven to have a piece like that in my home. It's so funny that you disliked it so much, cause I would have been running for it if I saw it at a tag sale. Glad you are appreciating it now!

Here is a link that might be useful: My Home

• robynpa
    16 years ago

That's fantastic! I have a very similar piece that was my DH grandmother's and I am going to do just what you did.

Did you use a primer? If not, why not? Is it better not to use a primer?

Do you know what type of wood it is made of?

Thanks!

• jrmom
    16 years ago

I love transformations like that....I often look at pieces on craigslist and think of what could be done to them....If I had a barn or space to transform pieces I would....you did a fantastic job...I love it.

• georgiagal
    16 years ago

Looks great, Reno! I love to save pieces like that & this one turned out wonderful.

• mry193
    16 years ago

Not an ugly old buffet any more!! I'd love to have a piece of furniture from my Great Grandparents, instead I watch for furniture that belonged to other people's GGP. :)
    I'm happy to see you were able to make it work in your home and do it so beautifully.

• n2cookin
    16 years ago

Sweeeet! There's an old buffet in my parent's garage that I will end up with someday and it's equally ugly, only twice bigger. AAACCKK! Painting it like you did would be awesome! Unfortunately mom believes painting wood is a SIN, so she'll definitley have to be gone first!

• robynpa
    16 years ago

You have inspired me. This is now my next project (after the bathroom is finished).

I have always thought this piece was ratty looking but it served a purpose in our bedroom. The cat sleeps on top and the TV is there also. I also use it to keep my office papers.

Thanks to you it will soon have a new look.

I just checked it out a bit and noticed that the drawers are dovetailed but could not find a manufacture's name. Do you know who made yours?

• momfromthenorth
    16 years ago

Renofan - it looks GREAT! I love that you kept the wood natural on the top and the red glaze make the pretty detail on the front doors & drawers really "pop". You and your family will enjoy this for years.

*sigh* Makes me want to go scour some of the old furniture places around here for a new spring project!

• karenforroses
    16 years ago

I LOVE it! It's just perfect. I saw a new one similar to that in a very pricey catalog and they wanted an arm and a leg for it. Great Job!

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Reno, that looks absolutely darling. I'm so glad you decided to save it -- and with leftover paint to boot! Clever you. I hope you'll be posting pics of it when you get it in place in the French Country TV room. Sounds exciting! Great grandma would no doubt be pleased, and they don't make 'em like they used to. You have a nice piece there.

• redbazel
    16 years ago

Robynpa, I love the lines of your sideboard and think it will take very well to paint. What color are you considering?

Red

• cliff_and_joann
    16 years ago

awesome, and well done.

• frazoo
    16 years ago

I love what you did to that piece! It's gorgeous!

Since the original hardware has left grooves, can you spray them black and spray poly over that?

• cindyloowoo
    16 years ago

WOW - it looks beautiful! Can't wait to see the finished room.

• Valerie Noronha
    16 years ago

Renofan: I love it! That looks like such a fun piece and is sure to hold many memories new and old from the revamp you gave it! Great call on keeping the natural wood on top.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES