Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with art for master bedroom

Posted by porkandham (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 30, 12 at 13:24

Do you like this grouping of paintings for above the bed in our master bedroom? They all have sentimental value. The two oils were painted by DH's grandmother, and the watercolor was painted by a family friend on my side.

Photobucket

Bed Wall:

Photobucket

This is the wall to the right of the bed. The wall to the left has an antique vanity/dressing table with a mirror. (I don't have a picture.)

Photobucket

Wall opposite the bed:

Photobucket

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with art for master bedroom

I love your bedroom! I'd be more inclined to put that grouping on the baker's rack wall and hang a single piece of art above the bed.

o

Natal - Thanks! I probably should have mentioned that I don't really have the budget to buy anything right now. I found a painting (36x36) that I loved and was considering, but I spent my art budget on a new table and chairs for my kitchen last weekend. Naturally, the seats need to be re-rushed, and since they're antiques, I'd like to go with natural rush instead of paper, so that's even more money. My options are to use what I already own or leave the space bare for a while, which, BTW, I'm ok with doing.

o

I vote for leaving it bare, in fact that was my first thought.

o

What a beautiful bedroom. I'd leave it bare, too, but use the grouping on the other wall. I love having art that has meaning and memories, and those pieces are charming together.

o

Another vote to leave that area above the bed bare -- and hang the wonderful paintings around the baker's rack. And perhaps add older photos (sepia tone) of the artists on the rack itself ...

In the future -- perhaps consider saving for a starburst mirror to hang above the bed ...

o

It's funny that y'all are suggesting putting the paintings around the baker's rack! That's where they've lived for the past ten years or so. The baker's rack used to be in my family room. It was set up as a bar and was flanked by those three painting plus another of DH's grandmother's NYC brownstone. When ODS started taking piano recently, the baker's rack was moved to our bedroom.

o

I would move the wood chest that is by the fireplace to where the baker's rack is now, and hang the art over that.

Put the baker's rack by the window where the chest is now.

I wonder if you could extend your curtain rods a few inches on each of the ends closer to the bed, and pull the drapery out a bit, to frame the bed a bit more. They feel very full for the size of the windows, so I was thinking there might be enough fabric to do that, and open up the windows a bit, too.

Finally, have you ever tried your chairs closer to the fireplace, maybe facing one another, or angled just a bit to the fireplace? I think it would open up the walking area, and also be a nicer view from the bed than the backs of the chairs.

I LOVE your comforter/duvet cover. Please think about pulling it down a bit more over the end of the bed to hide the coverlet edge, and then open it a bit more on the top of the bed to show off the wonderful pattern and colors. Great rug, too!

How big is the pix of your grandmother's brownstone? Would that work over the fireplace, and then take the fireplace art and put it over the bed?

o

Les - One of the things I like about the baker's rack in its current position is that I feel it balances the door to the bathroom. Before the piano came into our lives, my plan was to buy a linen press or other large piece for that spot. The chairs are probably in the only location that works.

The door to the bedroom is directly opposite the wooden dresser. If the chairs are any closer to the fireplace, they're in the traffic pattern to the bathroom and closet, which is off the bathroom. There was supposed to be a bit more space there, but due to a miscommunication on my part, the contractor and I weren't on the same page. (The master suite s a recent addition to my 1950s ranch.)

I love the bedding too. Thank you! It's made according to the whim of whoever makes the bed! Sometimes it lower. Sometimes it's not. As long as the bed gets made daily, I'm happy! That picture was snapped on day one. The curtains are pulled out to expose more of the windows now!

The picture of DH's grandmother's brownstone isn't large enough to go over the fireplace. I had originally thought that the painting over the fireplace would go over the bed, but we had the area over the fireplace wired for TV, and I had to cover that up! Maybe I'll have to cave an buy a TV for over the fireplace and move the other painting. At least TVs are less expensive than art! I just don't like them in bedrooms. Sigh.

o

hmmm. . . the duvet is absolutely beautiful!!. . . I was hoping for some "identifying" information on the bedding!!

o

Cherigw - Thank you! I love it too. I even bought an extra and had a roman shade made for the bathroom. It came from Pottery Barn, but I think it may have been discontinued.

o

your room looks very pretty and relaxing - I would probably just remove the bakers rack and have an empty wall space. Or put a narrow, narrow bench with photos' above it. I'm getting to like seeing less in a space.
Would your prints work in your master bath?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here