Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cluelessincolorado

Help w/SS behind range choice please!

cluelessincolorado
10 years ago

x-post with kitchens! Not sure where it fits.

I don't know why this isn't an easy choice for me but it is driving me crazy. We had first thought to tile to ceiling, but our walnut cabs have so much crazy mismatched grain I figured many grout lines would send me over the edge in this small space...The range is 30" and the hood is 36". I am leaning toward making the SS sheet 36" and was wondering if you all could help me choose. The sheet will go up to meet the hood which is 3" from window trim on left and roughly 5" from wall on right. Not the greatest photo, but here's what I'm working with. Thanks for any help!

Comments (15)

• patricianat
    10 years ago

I would have it cut on angle to about 6-12 inches above the hood and come down on angle to the side of the range (my right when I am facing the picture) and cover the right wall to the counter as described. I think I would have liked the countertop surface material to meet the window. Alas, it is too late for that and limits your options but I think, at this point, I would not have straight lines, I would opt for the angle which should not be hard for any metal cutter to do.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

What if you did that entire one wall in stainless tiles?

• cluelessincolorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

patricia43 - the counter is temporary, or at least it was supposed to be... Going on three years with a marine varnished, painted MDF that then received 3 coats of poly. The darn stuff is just now starting to break down. Best $200 temp counter ever. We'll either go with a soapstone or honed absolute black. DH isn't interested in high contrast and I've gotten used to the matte black. I'm not sure I understand what you have suggested with the angles, but am intrigued, anyway to draw it?

tibbrix - thanks for the suggestion. It's lovely. If you could see the grain of my cabinets, which I love BTW, you'd understand why I'm hesitant to add any more pattern in this 9'x10' room :-)

• patricianat
    10 years ago

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE... I have absolute black. Never, never, never, never again!!!! unless you live alone, without men or children and a completely sealed house without dust and you never cook again or wash dishes or glasses. If this is temporary and you are going for soapstone, then I think I would definitely do solid stainless or the brick tile stainless. It's gorgeous.

If this is temporary countertop, then do not worry about cutting the backsplash stainless on angle, just do solid sheets of stainless. It will be beautiful. I have seen that and I have seen solid mirror, both of which I love but mirror is harder to keep clean than stainless, but not as hard to keep clean as absolute black.

This post was edited by patricia43 on Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 14:47

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Can you put up a pick of the cabinets? I wouldn't worry too much about the pattern. Are there cabinets on that wall?

Whether a pattern or a sheet, I guess I"m suggesting doing that entire wall in stainless for continuity.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I like the plain SS sheet. Can you play with different sizes/widths with poster board or even newspaper to see if you want wall showing on the sides, etc...I can't be sure, but I think Patricia was meaning to follow the angles on your hood for the SS sheet.

• cluelessincolorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

joaniepoanie - that's what I thought too, re the angles, but I wanted to be sure.

This post was edited by cluelessincolorado on Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 15:35

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Those cabinets are gorgeous. I think the SS will compliment them! I wouldn't worry at all about a pattern.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Probably too late, but I'd consider printed glass, like this:

You can order precut tempered glass and backpaint it.

Or check on Ebay for glass splashbacks, cooker. Some ship to the US.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ebay glass backsplash

• peony4
    10 years ago

I have a SS panel behind a 36 range, with surrounding BS a white subway. My hood is 42. I matched the SS to the width of the range, as I liked that look better because the range is a set width, whereas the hood angles in, as yours does. A 42 SS panel seemed to dwarf the range.

I did exactly what Joanie suggests and used a piece of posterboard to compare the 2 widths.

So impressed with your temporary counters! Never would have guessed what they are.

• cluelessincolorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank tibbrix! They are a little wild. I love wood so I'm okay with them but they seem to inspire love or barely contained horror for others :-)

Nosoccermom - am very interested in the glass. Is it too late because the hood is all ready in? Would glass just up to the hood look okay? Again, hood width or range width.

Thanks peony4. I tried to do a mock-up with foil but got frustrated in the model making... The 36" seems huge, but then the 30" looks like I forgot a few inches. The counters are ridiculous, we had to replace our sewer line mid project and lost the counter funds. They are just now deteriorating around the sink. We put them in the bathroom as well, but those started to go last year. I could only be so careful with two children. This is them closer up. I really thought we'd only have them 6 months tops!

• peony4
    10 years ago

Haha, colorado! I think your cabinets are fantastic, and any look of horrors that you perceive are probably more along the lines of "I wish I had those!"

Just to clarify, my 36-SS behind my 36-ranch with a 42-hood looks to scale because my subway BS comes all the way up to the hood. So, the sides of the bottom of my hood meet with the white BS, if that makes any sense.

Try using posterboard or cardboard for the mock-up. Something less frustrating than foil. :-)

Hang in there. Your cabs are lovely... I don't think you can go wrong with the SS because all eyes will be drawn to the cabs.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

The cabinets are very contemporary, so using SS or glass on the wall there is only going to make them look even better, IMO. I would switch out the hardware on the cabinets for stainless contemporary pulls. and I would do the entire wall in whatever material you choose, glass or stainless. It'll make the cabinets look BETTER.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Sat, Mar 15, 14 at 10:56

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Or something like this. But if you put stainless contemporary hardware on your cabinets and do the entire wall in stainless tile, along with the stainless appliances, your kitchen will be stunning.

• cluelessincolorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks tibbrix for the hardware ideas. I especially like the first option and almost purchased something very similar. The slab option is not necessarily the easiest for opening soft-close hardware though. I think we are stuck with what's there for now, but thanks! We are in a 1912 bungalow so don't want to go too modern, but as you stated, with the cabinets that ship may have sailed!

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH