Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
namabafo

Not sure if I like my new dining room color

namabafo
16 years ago

I just painted my dining room SW Escape Grey. I chose it as it is a deeper color on the same strip as my family room--Conservative Grey.

The paint guy manually tinted the primer to Escape--as I was covering red. The primer was fantastic and covered beautifully and I was in love with the color. Then I painted a coat of the satin wall paint and it is a shade or two darker than the primer and I'm not sure I like it as much as the primer color!

The amount of colorant is different on the label--but I assumed that was because the formulation of primer v. paint was different. Now I just think it was a lower percentage in the primer.

During the day, it is ok, if a bit darker than I wanted--at night it just seems to suck up all the light in the room. Which may be because my light fixture is too small--I like it, but it was a quick replacement when we moved in 4 yrs ago becasue I hated the PO's chrome and crystal thing.

It's funny how the paint looks a bit bluish sometimes as there is only green black and gold as colorants. And the lighter Conservative Grey reads as almost a willowy greenish yellow in the adjacent room.

I've got a few pics---please excuse all the furniture/dust/debris--I'm not done touching up a few "holidays" and I need to poly the wood trim before everything goes back. (plus you can see the furniture from my "Letting Go" thread)

I'd love advice about color--should I go lighter? Should I just replace the light with a larger fixture? The woodwork is clear pine with a light Minwax Cherry stain--the poly will be satin. The table, chairs and curved glass china are staying... Oh, I also need to think about window treatment. It's fairly private--but if the neighbors are in their pool--they could see in here at night--besides I don't like the "big black hole" at night look, but I never know how to treat a bow window...

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Previous owner's decor--showing the chandy and the wall paper and the RED wall to wall.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (10)

• msjay
    16 years ago

I like it if that is any consolation. Very pretty color. Maybe live with it a few days and see how you feel later.

• gracie-2006
    16 years ago

I love the contrast of your dark furniture next to the grey. I am not sure about the lighter wood trim on the window and doorway next to the grey walls. Maybe once you get your window treatment up it will make more of a statement. I would definitely change the light fixture above the table. A chandelier would be very pretty. I do not think you need to go any lighter in the color. I think you could even go darker- however in the evening you said it really darkens.Your floor is beautiful.What fabrics are you going to use?

• namabafo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

msjay--thanks, I do like the color, maybe I just need to get used to it

gracie--I haven't even begun to think about fabrics yet. The chairs need re-covering and I probably need a rug, too...It took me so long to pick this color. It was a brick red and I was going to paint the original trim white, but we had a plumbing leak/wall repair soon after I painted it, then I changed all my trim when I re-did the kitchen--then we inherited more furniture, so this has just been a big, hot mess of a room...

I actually am really starting like the color in the daylight--just at night it seems depressing...

• kimberlyrkb
    16 years ago

I really like it "as is!" But I know what you mean about it not looking great after dark. I used a very similar color that I loved during the day, but I couldn't stand it at night. Since I'm hardly ever around during the day, I ended up repainting. I'd live with it for a week or so and see what you think before deciding to repaint.

• shmeal
    16 years ago

I think the wall color looks wonderful with your beautiful furniture. I suspect the darkness at night is a combination of the new paint color and the undressed window (the black hole effect that you mentioned). I would definitely look at replacing the light fixture with a chandelier and then consider adding extra lighting. Would you be willing to install wall sconces? How about finding a floor lamp for one of the corners? I think if you add in another layer of light that you will feel better about the room at night. Of course, once you add the window treatments and get some art on the walls and some accessories in the room it will make a world of difference.

I think you are off to a lovely start and wouldn't rush to repaint just yet.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I think it looks very pretty, also. The bit of blue-green is probably good with your woods, rather than simply gray if that's what you were expecting. (The green tint is a combination of yellow and blue.) Pretty with the snow and what looks like Blue Spruce or something similar outside.

Can you just set a 'mood' light or dimmer on at night? It really doesn't look like a dark color from your pics.

• hilltop_gw
    16 years ago

I love the color and I know exactly what you're talking about. I have a very similar color in my kitchen & dining room; however there's not a lot of wall space & lots of both natural & artificial lighting so it looks great. But when I carried the color over to my living room (open floor plan) it just sucked the light out at night. We talked about adding can lights, replacing fixtures, getting more lamps, etc but ultimately ended up repainting the living room a light neutral color.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

The color is beautiful, you just need more lighting, floor lamps, up lights, table lamps. Don't count on just the ceiling fixture to you give you adequate light around the room.

• redlodger
    16 years ago

My great room is painted a color that I can't remember the name of but is basically a mushroom taupey-grey. When I first started painting I thought it looked like the color of cement. I now really like it. We have a dark dining room set similar to the color of yours and lighter trim. It all goes together somehow.
    You're right when you say the color looks different depending on the lighting. I think once you have the chairs recovered and find window treatments, accessories and a rug,you will have added enough visual warmth that the room won't look depressing at night.

• namabafo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok, so it's starting to grow on me.

The slightly bluish cast at times really surprised me as the whole strip is in the yellow-green family...it reads much cooler than our 2 shades lighter family room.

So now I think I will start with looking at larger hanging light fixtures. And getting rid of the china/buffet/server and looking for a new buffet that goes better with the curved glass china cab.

I'll definitely be back for advice on lighting, WT and rug...

thanks