Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiedawnpam_gw

Floorplans - Phases 1 and 2

prairiedawnpam
13 years ago

{{!gwi}}

I think we have a plan. Hubby is the designer and the contractor so his preference for the tub has won in Phase 1 of the makeover. We will have a walk-in closet (left-hand side of the bathroom) but it will be built with waterproof walls so that in Phase 2 it may become a shower.

On the other side of the ensuite is the main bathroom that has a shower that we can use daily if that is a preference.

In Phase 1 our bedroom is small but its still bigger than what we have now. Hubby drew it with a king-sized bed, but I think we'll stick to a Queen.

Phase 2 will mean incorporating the main floor living room turret to the second floor master. The living room roof will come off and the walls will come up.

On the left-hand side of the bedroom you can see a door going out to a balcony. The door will be framed-in in Phase 1, but the balcony is a Phase 3 project.

...Pam

Comments (4)

• prairiedawnpam
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is the original thread. Sorry. I didn't mean to start a new one.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg0311070311149.html?30

Here is a link that might be useful: original thread

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

I wouldn't worry about waterproof walls in the closet, as you will need to put in a complete waterproof shower system when you actually build the shower. In fact if you put in a Kerdi shower you could waterproof right on top of drywall.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

A couple of general comments about the plan:

As the new turret attaches to the existing plan, there is a small jog in the wall at the left of the head of the bed. I would try to resolve this more cleanly if possible.

Since Phase II eliminates the bedroom closet, where are you replacing it? I would recommmend extending the wall at the left corner behind the bed straight across, making that a walk in closet entered by the door framed in in Phase I, and going out to the rectangular deck (no longer L-shaped) by a door behind the current night table in the left hand corner.

You will lose the window in the stairwell, but you could replace that with a stained glass window lit from behind with bulbs. (I have seen lots of stained glass "skylights" lit this way in turn of the 20th century houses)

Why is the closet walk through? It doesnt give you much storage space. Why not just enter the bath from the bedroom?

Since you have purchased the tub, it may involve a new bath layout but floorspace in the upper right corner between the vanity and the tub is awkward and is going to be very hard to keep clean. You are going to have to kneel in the tub and lean over the back to clean that area.

• lyfia
    13 years ago

So where you are proposing to be a walk-in closet is just wasted space imo. Doesn't appear to function well as a closet to be usable for much of anything at all. What is it 2.5f wide. You could double that closet space by skipping the walk in part. If you want a closet there I'd close it off so you have a door from just outside the master to access part of it and some on the inside part either from the bath or inside the bedroom for a reach in. Looks like that actually would give you some more space to put clothes. Yes not all accessible from the master unless you move the entry to the master, but at least not wasted space like a walking area would be.

Honestly for a 2.5ft wide storage space that you walk into I would just make it a shower and then figure out closets for phase 2.

Can Phase 2 fit the bed at an angle in the new space so you could use some of the space in the existing room to get a good closet and have a sitting dressing area there?

I'd much rather have a reach in closet than a 2.5ft walk in closet.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations