Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
balego_gw

For anyone restoring old furniture, you may be needing this....

balego_gw
14 years ago

Recently there was a thread here where someone had bought an antique bed for their daughter, and asked if it should be painted. The bed was missing some scrollwork decoration. I just bought an antique bed for our granddaughter that I am going to paint white, and it was also missing some of the scroll decoration. I was originally thinking of using the mold and bake sculpy, but decided that one place I might check for something to use would be Lee Valley Tools, seeing that they carry supplies for fine woodworking. Sure enough, they carry a putty called Quikwood, which is a putty that will not only adhere to wood, but can be used to replace details and can be sanded, screwed, nailed, and painted or even stained. It comes in a tube and you mold it with your fingers to blend it. It stays workable for about 20 minutes, and I found that after I formed the general shape I needed, I could also trim it with a knife to help me shape it even more. I suppose if one is inclined, they can use maybe a dremel with a sanding tip to get the shapes perfect, but I didn't go that far. I just wanted to add the missing parts so it wouldn't be so noticeable. Anyway, below are a couple of photos where I used it. I'll update when the bed is completed.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Quikwood Epoxy Putty

Comments (14)

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

Thanks! I just put that on my must have list.

• balego_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Darn, I notice the link only goes to the main catalogue, not the actual page. You will have to type in Quikwood Epoxy Putty in the search box, then you can zoom into it on the page. Should be on page 217, on the far right side.

• balego_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Now, I wish I had seen these while I was in the store getting the putty! On that same catalogue page is a set of four carving spatulas, which would be great for helping to get the detail when using the putty!

• rjinga
    14 years ago

I checked at Lowes (because this product was suggested to me on a repair that I needed to do on a French provincial dresser (part of the foot with the little scrolly detail was missing). I did not find it there, but I called Home Depot and they had it. Meanwhile I just got some wood putty, and this is ok for some of my projects, but I'm still going to get that quickwood and see if it's better.

Did you find that this medium was more dense and stiffer to work with more like clay consistancy? the wood putty is not, it's like a dryer or slightly set up dry wall mud.

• balego_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

rjinga, this was like plasticene to work with, it was quite pliable, not stiff at all, but not so soft that it would lose shape easily as you are trying to shape it. However, it was set up enough to be able to use a knife to trim edges once I set it in place.

Our Home Depot here in Canada didn't have anything like it, matter of fact, the fellow in HD told me to try window putty. Somehow I don't think window putty would dry fast enough?

• nicole__
    14 years ago

Saw this on the Rachel Ray show. The Hartland mansion was decorated by one man using a cake decorating bag filled with plaster. He stencils the pattern onto the piece, then uses the cake bag to fill it in. Clever!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: How to make frilly details...

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Oh goodie! Thanks a bunch! I have an antique frame that needs some work. This will be perfect since it's stained wood.

• rjinga
    14 years ago

Found QW at HD yesterday, 1 ounce container for $3.50 I'll be giving it a whirl on my dresser soon. I went to that site Nicole and the link for that mansion thing is not complete. couldn't see any details on what was done, but I REALLY am intriqued by the notion of trying something like this. I have wanted to use frilly appliques on my furniture redo's and there just are so few places to find them and they are $$$$

I have a pampered chef cookie maker thingie that has all kinds of cool tips that make neat cookies, no reason why plaster couldn't go in there instead of cookie dough eh? I love my PC stuff, but I'd sacrifice it for the bigger cause.

• fillagirl
    14 years ago

Hi balego, that was me that was asking about the headboard. I was going to go to HD and Rona (I'm in Canada) and see what they suggested, but you've answered my question. Thank you so much, I live in Canada so will be phoning around before I head out to stores. Looks like exactly what I need, thanks again.

• nicole__
    14 years ago

rjinga....click on the picture to the right, image gallery in the Rachel Ray blog...IF you google Hartland mansion they have a pic of the grand entryway.....this one man did all the frilly touches himself!

Here is a link that might be useful: Try this link.....:0)

• balego_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

fillagirl, I'm glad you spotted this post and can hopefully find some Quikwood locally. If not, you could order some from Lee Valley.

Nicole, I wonder how strong the plaster would be that was used, and if it would hold up to sanding and wear and tear on furniture? It looks like a great solution for ornate frames, etc! I did use a power sander on the Quikwood and it held up very well- sanded just like wood. It seems to be very tough stuff when cured.

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

Wow, thanks - I've got some frames to restore, do you think I could use it on these, or should I get something I can make a mold of the intact pieces with?

This one isn't quite as banged up (wasn't at all til I gave it to cashier at GW to hold for me while I shopped more). Maybe I should leave it?

• balego_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ajsmamma, I would be inclined to try the Quikwood to make a mold of the missing pieces. For the part at the lower corner, you could press soft QW on the opposite kitty-corner and lift it off and let it harden. (this doesn't take long). Then press soft QW into the mold you made. Because it bonds fairly quickly, you would not want to leave it in the mold because it would bond to it. Then, you could either let the piece dry and harden, then glue it in place, or you could try to set it in place while it is still pliable to let it bond itself to the frame.
    Either way, you could test it out. For the edge beads, same thing.. press some QW onto the missing area and shape with a knife and your fingers. I think it would work really well! It has a working time of 15-20 mins, cures pretty quickly, with functional curing within an hour or so. It is easy enough to sculpt, like plasticene, but dries really hard.

It certainly can't hurt to try it. The paper that came in the tube states "repairs and rebuilds anything made of wood, repair furniture, molding, frames and antiques". It also is used for fine detailing around the eye area in bird carvings.

Check the link below to the manunfactures description details, which gives more information.

Here is a link that might be useful: Quikwood Epoxy Putty

• drinkg-c_pris_ca
    12 years ago

Does anyone know where I could find some actual scrollwork. I have several larger sections that are missing. The smaller places I will use the quickwood product.

Sponsored
We believe that great design should be accessible to everyone