Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rachel_parker4941

Painting Master Bath to Sell House

Rachel Parker
12 years ago

We are about 2 months before we put our house on the market and have a list of things that need done around the house. More that one room needs painting so I will start with the first one. Before we found out we were moving I was going to paint it a light blue and had already bought paint but with kids never got to it. I have a laundry room just off the master that is 50% darker blue with white beadboard. Now I am wondering if blue would put off potential buyers. Currently our master bedroom is a sage green. Would a tan be better? We have darker cherry cabinets with a light tan with a little veining cultured marble for the shower, whirlpool tub surround and countertop.

Comments (8)

• andee_gw
    12 years ago

I love blue and it should go well with the cherry and surroundings (paint a sample board first). I think the key here is that you want a fresh paint job to show your house. So use the paint you have. If the sage green is too worn to show with the house, and if the color is fine with your furnishings (assuming you will show the house while still living there), it will be easier to paint just one coat of the same color, than to switch to a new color that will require at least two coats. Make the rooms look good, but don't do more than you have to. You can't anticipate that a buyer will prefer tan to sage, or vice versa.

• graywings123
    12 years ago

You want the color in the two rooms to flow together. Painting both rooms blue is too much of a statement, IMO. And it depends on the shade of blue. Your idea of a pretty blue may be quite different from that of your potential buyer.

If you are painting for the purpose of selling the house, I would stick with neutral colors. There are websites that list the most popular Ben Moore, Sherwin Williams, etc. paint colors.

• amykath
    12 years ago

I agree with graywings. You will need to appeal to everyone.

Good luck!
    Amy

• gmp3
    12 years ago

I think continuing the sage green in the bath is your safest choice, it will make it look part of the master. Sage is closer to neutral than a blue. Keep accessories white or neutral. Lots of fluffy white towels, white soap in a glass jar, etc.

• Rachel Parker
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It sounds like going neutral would appeal to more buyers. I can always bring the blue paint to the next house. I was thinking either SW Macademia or Softer Tan, on the same strip. I have to paint the dining room and bonus room (has been a play room over the garage). I have Tobacco Road in my kitchen, great room and upstairs and downstairs hallways. Tobacco Road seemed not the right shade of tan.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• SharonaZamboni
    12 years ago

Either a soft sage or a tan color would be better than the blue. It really should be a neutral color for showing.

• andreadeg
    12 years ago

You might consider consulting your realtor before you put alot of work into painting. Realtors have a pulse on what buyers expect, and can help you prioritize the work that's needed in your house to ensure it shows it's best.

With so many people in to decorating these days, I'm not convinced that you have to paint it at all.

• jane__ny
    12 years ago

We just put an offer on a house in Florida where every room, plus the exterior needs to be painted. The house is painted blue outside and both bathrooms are blue. I was planning to come here for help after we close for advice.

Just wanted to reassure you that people do buy homes with colors.

Blue, blue and more blue......

Master bath - Blue

Guest Bath - Blue

Patio - Blue

Exterior - Blue

Do whatever is easiest and cheapest for you.

Jane