Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_459360

And Another Basement Update.

User
10 years ago

So Handy Guy was down here yesterday and we were trying to get a better idea of how the rug will be cut for the front room ---it will be a rhombus instead of a rectangle--and put the daybeds in the front room with the new paisley I think we are going to use. (One of the bed pieces is missing from the back wall, which is why the mattress sags there.) Relief all around, there will be enough room for a rectangular drape table with a fitted cover! The far bed cannot overhang the opening because, at 41 or 42" width, the bed projects into the thruway almost to its midpoint and really impedes traffic. But, this will work, and will only lose the use of one of the baskets in one bed base. I'm not sure if that is very clear! Anyhow, the picture shows the daybed placement, one leg of the pool table (he brought that in so I could see the color in situ) and on the farthest wall, the rattan wavy skirt console. Very happy to see that bed baskets, table and pool table are all in the same basic range of color. However, this gives me pause at the thought of ordering a very fine Baker table to go in the same rooms with all this rustic other. Have sent photo to ID.

Have chosen a new, brighter paisley for bolsters on daybeds, and in front of the long bolster will be 24 or 26" green linen pillows, I think, or the other way round. In the back room, have finally decided on the Cork herringbone weave for 2 sofas with green linen and tartan pillows. Looking for green linen for swivel chairs. Coffee table will be upholstered in taupe, putty and red corded fabric and we are looking at a karastan wool carpet to bind as a rug, in French check.

Comments (16)

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

The floor....Oh, the floor!! It's to die for! Just love how it's coming together. The daybed is going to be so cozy.

• kitchentime
    10 years ago

Kswl...I absolutely love your brick floor! I also adore the corner bench. Would you mind sharing where you found it.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Your basement is going to be beautiful....can't wait to see it finished, but am enjoying watching the progress as well! Love that floor!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, all. We will start digging up part of the floor tomorrow (the part with haze from an unauthorized cleaning) and after that we'll be able to proceed.

Kitchen time, that is actually two Stratton daybeds from Pottery Barn, with mattresses in brushed twill, color honey. That room will have nothing else in it except a rug. We do not need any more bedrooms, but occasionally we do need more beds. On the left unseen wall will hang a 37" screen for game playing. There are shelves recessed into the wall below where the tv will hang, and on the floor along that wall will be a long box cushion for our dogs.

New fabric consideration for swivel chairs in next room. These will be skirted chairs and I want a medium green one inch stripe of a different fabric just above the three inch skirt hem in in a darker green. Lee industries has a coral tweedy chair upholstered in that manner and it is really beautiful. This would be similar in shades of green.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Love that fabric. And am totally stealing your PB beds; thanks for sharing them I might never have found them!!

I have trouble picturing the chair --- you must show us.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the chair, we are getting two of them. I really like the upholstery treatment with three fabrics instead of trim, and we're looking for a medium and dark green to add to this lighter green weave. This is the inspiration chair in shades of coral:

• Lyban zone 4
    10 years ago

Wow! That chair looks very comfortable.
    Everything is coming along so well.

• jjam
    10 years ago

kswl, be still my heart!! You had me at the sight of the brick floor. Brilliant!!! Also love the daybeds. Perfect for that corner.....will be lovely with your bolster pillows, etc., and also useful. That's the name of the game......they are good looking but will also earn their keep as sleeping quarters when needed. Bravo! Can't wait to see more.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, I am really happy with these beds. I knew I wanted two and my first thought was to have them built in. Custom was actually going to be cheaper, but PB had a 20% sale on furniture and I liked that these came in sections that are finished on both sides. I also like the informality of the baskets (they'll hold linens for the beds) and they're a nod to the rattan console in the other room. That said, they are huge, lol. I think I was imagining narrow built-in sofas that someone could sleep on if they had to, but these are proper twin beds.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

That is a cool fabric treatment, kswl. Did we buy the same Lee chairs, too?

Your last post reminded me; how comfy are the beds? I was going to put a mattress on top ...

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They are firm, more like a futon mattress than a spring mattress. I saw a picture of the bed with a mattress and it looked like too much of a mound on top of those bases, iykwim. And, meanly I guess, I think that since they are for family overflow (teens) and visiting college friends of our kids, I am not really all that concerned about comfort. They can sleep like the dead on the floor with a blanket, and this is much better than the floor ;-)

• kitchentime
    10 years ago

Thanks for the daybed info.!!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The chair pictured is the model of I'm buying, just in a green fabric(s). I am going to Atlanta this weekend to sit on a Cloud nine sofa and the one up in firmness from that. Then we will order those pieces and go on to the tables and rugs. I am having major qualms about the Baker side table I like so much. I love it but am now starting to worry that it is too formal for the space. However, ID spec'd the optimal size and surface area and believe it or not, there are very few choices. We need a certain size three tier table, as the end tables will be the main repository for magazines, books, chargers and the like. But...the price of this one is almost alarming, for a basement. I am thinking about taking down a painted one from the library and using this fabulous one up there. But, size :(

There will be a footstool between the two sofas that wont take a tray, as it is a cloverleaf shape in four separate sections. We are having the top of each section upholstered, so when the four pieces are put together it will look like there's a single cushion on the whole thing. But people will be able to sit on one section or have their own section for their feet. This thing is going to be great!

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

You'll have to show your basement on Houzz, what an inspiration that will be for people !!!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Have found another green tweedy fabric with a darker green and tan pinstripe. Have a perfect darker green, so ID now looking for a medium green between the two to replicate look of coral chair above.

Medium green (possibly with red leather piping) will then become pillows on daybed in front of paisley bolsters.

Looking at karastan wool French Check in green for rugs for both rooms. Planning on wool sisal runner for stairs with square of French Check on landing. Now back to black iron for light fixtures.

Ploughing ahead. Six more boxes of brick arrived yesterday. Digging up of hazy area and replacement of bricks in random pattern to compensate for lost lime on many begins Tuesday.

Replacing all wood floors upstairs due to flood. Will have to move out for at least a week. Carpet I DS2's room will also be replaced. Neutral putty color, sheared pile.
    DH's study downstairs, ditto.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bought a wonderful rug today in Atlanta, 10 x 14 oushak in green, brick and gold/tan. Cannot wait to see it on the brick floor!