Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mommyto4boys_gw

Help with new family room

mommyto4boys
10 years ago

This is our family room in our previous home that we built. We are currently living in our new build as we diy the finishes. The main reason to show this picture is for the built ins and fireplace.

Our new room is not as open or large, but still similar. Our style is traditional, but we are going for a different vibe this time. Think more modern, casual traditional. The floors will be a much lighter, distressed, satin finish. The ceiling in the new room has 3 beams also and we have decided to do a tongue and groove ceiling and crown around the beams too, with a painted off-white (BM, Acadia white) finish. The entire floor will be hard wood. So, we can add a rug, etc.

Thanks, if you are still with me. The built ins are already ordered and are very similar to the ones shown (they can not be changed). I like, modern, somewhat rustic romance, traditional and really am not afraid to mix things up, even though this rooms looks so safe and traditional.

Can we possibly do a more rustic or a reclaimed mantel on this set up,with these built ins? Can it be pulled together since the floors will be casual/traditional. Also, what do you think of a honed black piece on the hearth? The new fireplace insert is a blower unit with more black showing than this one. I have seen a few picture in Houzz with black with similar stone and I thought it looked really nice. We have a lot of people over when we entertain and the hearth will be used often for extra "seats."

We will be having a lot of darker, distressed furniture throughout the house as well as some painted finishes too. So, our thoughts were to keep the floors lighter and contrasting. So, I was thinking the built ins could be more like furniture pieces and then the mantel could be different??? I might be going a very wrong direction, as I found little to no examples of this for an inspiration image.

Feeling very discouraged, missing my previous "finished" house. Starting to question all of our new directions we are aiming for in this home. Thank you & greatly appreciate your help!!!

Comment (1)