Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wncang

Another request for front door color advice

wncang
10 years ago

We purchased the house last June. While I don't dislike the front door color, I would love to change the color to put my own stamp on the exterior, if that makes sense. The front door and shutter trim is a caramel color. I would be fine with changing the shutter color as well, they should probably match the door.
The house is light beige, trim is dark brown and roof is black. We are in the NC mountains, so colors considered coastal won't work. I'm open to any suggestions. I read the decorating forum religiously and have used tons of ideas on the interior. Thanks so much for your help, you guys have a much better eye for color than myself.
Sorry, I can't seem to post more than one photo at once, so a photo of the front porch is coming next.

Comments (10)

• wncang
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the front porch

• teacats
    10 years ago

Here's a few ideas:

BM Charlotte Sage AC-24
    SW Leapfrog SW-6431
    BM Elemental AF-400
    BM Dry Sage 2142-40
    BM Forest Floor 1498
    BM Caliente AF-290
    BM Breath of Fresh Air 806
    BM Mt. Rainier Gray 2129-60

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I'd paint the shutters an antique bronze/brown to go with the trim, then the door a blue, turquoise?, to compliment the bench, floor, and rabbits. Paint the slats on the bench white.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

What a pretty setting. When you say not coastal, what do you mean?

I think you have too many colors, and you need to choose between the gold colors and the blue. Which direction are you leaning?

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Love the blue and can see going that direction. What a pretty house and setting!

• wncang
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for your advice. The photos are from the mls listing, and I didn't notice until your comments the photos make the slate floor have a bluish tint. In reality, it doesn't have any blue. The slate is brown, grey and reddish brown. The bunny and bench are from the previous owner. Nothing is on the porch at the moment. This is more representative of the slate floor.

• User
    10 years ago

I would change out the shutters and all things caramel for a dark brown like the trim, or a lighter brown, and then paint the door a sage green---pretty, mountain colors.

• carolssis
    10 years ago

If you want to stand out, I'd leave all the colors as they are, save yourself some work. But I'd use a bronze or burnt orange for the door. Make it stand out. The bench slats look like weathered cedar or redwood, don't paint. The slate is really good looking. I'm jealous. Good luck on your choice. Have some fun with color, do something different to "put your stamp on it".

• lascatx
    10 years ago

I'd probably look at either a dark green or something that would tie in with the rust in the slate and the copper/flame colors in the leaves at the far end of that porch. If the caramel shutters don't work with that, I'd paint them brown to match the trim.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    10 years ago

I don't get the dark brown/black roof relationship.

I'd consider painting all the dark trim a creamy off-white that harmonizes with the siding. Shutters Black Bean from Sherwin Williams. Front door could be anything in the warmer reds: a straight up warm red, a red-orange, orange, rust, terracotta - I'd defer to the slate for what direction to take for the door. Just make sure the paint store directs you to red hue family colors that are suitable to use outside. Nothing more disappointing than finding the perfect front door red and learning that it's interior only.