Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Try, try again

Posted by AnnieDeighnaugh (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 12:57

I have a small bookcase from my mom....she got it at the good will for $5...that I use as a side table in the family room. It was off white and the knots were bleeding through. Sturdy enough, but not finely made. So with DH still waiting for spring and outside projects, I convinced him to paint the book case. He painted it to match the walls in the FR and it looked too bright. So then I got a couple of colors of gel stain and tried to faux finish it to look more like wood. Well, it looks ok on the window wall where the light isn't too bright, but I use it away from the windows where it's bright and it looks poorly done. Not sure why as it looked better when I did it, but as it dried, somehow the blending came undone and it just looks bad.

I used the gel stain we had which was minwax which I know everyone complains about, and the under coat was probably not deep enough as I hadn't planned on faux finishing it.

So now DH will sand it down some again, and I have to figure out what to try next. But I think it will wait until after Easter as I'm having everyone here for dinner.....

But it's only paint and a little effort....I'll just have to try again.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Try, try again

Looks like you are on your way to a beautifully layered finish! Maybe this is an opportunity to try some chalk paint. You could put trim around the edges to dress it up. Possibly some crown around the top or at least some facing. Base around the bottom. Unless, of course, you like it plain and simple!

If you like patterns, you could paper or stencil the back.

Eddie Ross

Here is a link that might be useful: bookcase

This post was edited by snookums2 on Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 13:37

o

Speaking of things from your mom....
I took this bowfront chest from my mom's place a few months ago. I remember her "antiquing" over the mahogany when I was very little. I told myself I'd undo her work, but now I have my doubts. I'm learning to live with it.

A smallish thing like this with plenty of drawers is so handy. I have all my gym clothes in it, as well as some other things. It's really too big for a nightstand, but next to the bed is the only place it can go. Too bad I can't strip my way into some more space. Now THAT would be worth strapping on the mask and heavy gauntlets for.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

snookums, hadn't thought about papering the back, but that might be a good idea as getting all those corners to look right is part of the problem....that would certainly help.

jamies, love the size and shape of that chest....just perfect for your spot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here