|I have a small bookcase from my mom....she got it at the good will for $5...that I use as a side table in the family room. It was off white and the knots were bleeding through. Sturdy enough, but not finely made. So with DH still waiting for spring and outside projects, I convinced him to paint the book case. He painted it to match the walls in the FR and it looked too bright. So then I got a couple of colors of gel stain and tried to faux finish it to look more like wood. Well, it looks ok on the window wall where the light isn't too bright, but I use it away from the windows where it's bright and it looks poorly done. Not sure why as it looked better when I did it, but as it dried, somehow the blending came undone and it just looks bad. |
I used the gel stain we had which was minwax which I know everyone complains about, and the under coat was probably not deep enough as I hadn't planned on faux finishing it.
So now DH will sand it down some again, and I have to figure out what to try next. But I think it will wait until after Easter as I'm having everyone here for dinner.....
But it's only paint and a little effort....I'll just have to try again.
|Looks like you are on your way to a beautifully layered finish! Maybe this is an opportunity to try some chalk paint. You could put trim around the edges to dress it up. Possibly some crown around the top or at least some facing. Base around the bottom. Unless, of course, you like it plain and simple! |
If you like patterns, you could paper or stencil the back.
Here is a link that might be useful: bookcase
This post was edited by snookums2 on Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 13:37
|snookums, hadn't thought about papering the back, but that might be a good idea as getting all those corners to look right is part of the problem....that would certainly help. |
jamies, love the size and shape of that chest....just perfect for your spot.
Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum
- You must be a registered member and logged in to post messages on our forums.
- Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review the contents and make changes.
- After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
- It is illegal to post copyrighted material without the owner's consent.
- HTML codes are allowed in the message field only.
- No advertising is allowed in any of the forums.
- If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
- If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.