Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Me and my half-baked kitchen

mtnrdredux_gw
10 years ago

This is what happens when a colorphobe tries to branch out; a bit of craziness.

Since we bought our beachhouse last fall, I have sworn allegiance to, at times, a yellow fridge, a turquoise fridge, and finally a white fridge. Well, not quite finally.

Because I went and ordered a turquoise fridge. When you enter through the back door, the fridge is the first thing you see "across a crowded room" and I wanted it to telegraph "vacation". It sure does.

In the interim, I also killed off my Marmoleum floors in grey and white diamond. They may call it "white marble" but it is a peachy tan and it looked horrible in situ (partly perhaps because it is a bit of a dark, North-facing room.) I am now just having them paint the wooden floors off white.

So, in this photo, everything on the bottom half is a given; ordered and final. The top image shows a rough layout of the most important wall for the main part of the kitchen.

The question is, given the fridge, what color do I paint the two pieces (being custom made) that are denoted with blue arrows?

I had planned on Teresa's Green when I had a white fridge selected, but it is too dull up against the new fridge I chose.

I can't imagine repeating the fridge color, as that would be too much (i probably will repeat it by painting the back of the hutch to match, rather than use the spoon wallpaper ... spoon wallpaper will go in the butler's pantry cabs then).

There is some navy in the chairs, but won't that look like a black hole?

My next thought is grey, but what shade?

Thanks in advance.

{{gwi:1634673}}

Comments (93)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Can't help but throw in some design seeds....that turquoise is so fab.

Or perhaps a little less icy...

Love this shade of green with the turquoise...

And look at that peach!

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Icy is good. What you don't want in a beach house is HOT. When you come in from the hot beach, you want cool and calm, a vacation home calm, IMO.

Technically I like the brighter color combos others are suggesting, but they're so Howard Johnson's/1950s and I think would become dated very quickly. Also…too hot!

I don't see navy with that fridge at all. Hmmm…..cobalt dishes in glass-front cabs would be nice.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Or stay coastal...

This cocoa color is cool (and alliterative!)

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Exactly, Annie. Water, sand, wind…cool, calming, vacation-y. You want to FEEL like you're at the beach when you're in your beach house!

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

IRL our fridge is more of a turquoise than what it appears in my photos where it appears more light blue. It makes me smile every day!

Thanks, Anele!

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

A thought: I suppose this all depends on where this beach house is. I take for granted that I'm on Cape Cod, where the colors are more muted. But in Florida, I can see colors more like corals and turquoises, the brighter colors. No idea what the colors are like along the southern coast; deeper greens and blues along the California coast...

• jmc01
    10 years ago

it depends more on the owners IMO than it does the location.

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

I have creamy white, sky blue, a green(not grass green),white, and gray in my kitchen with a bit of orange accents. When I decided to add a yellow element ( a tall cupboard) I had a difficult time finding just the right yellow. Not sure if anyone here remembers the infamous "yellow school bus" cupboard, but I quickly changed it back to cream. I would love to find a soft buttery yellow but it's elusive.

I guess my point was be careful which yellow you choose esp. with that lovely turquoise.

• joshuasamah
    10 years ago

There is a blog called House of Turquoise with lots of color combinations with the turquoise. Maybe it would help to spend some time searching on there for a color combo that will jump out at you as perfect?

• geokid
    10 years ago

Take a look at the link to Sarah's Summer Cottage kitchen. The color on the cabinets is BM Wedgewood Gray. I think your fridge and spoons fabric would look smashing and beachy right in this kitchen.

Now, I also have to throw this in because its a fun, fitted kitchen. It may be more Florida Keys beachy or even too cottage-y but I really like the turquoise with the blue-grey and coral. Your spoons fabric has some coral-orange in it, no?

Here is a link that might be useful: Sarah's Summer House Kitchen

• alex9179
    10 years ago

I'm partial to scrubbed pine, so this looks yummy.

The pale yellow/cream idea is also very appealing! Check out #4 in the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Period Living

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

I’d paint the cabinets along sink and range wall a sort of med tone spiced mustard. I would leave the china hutch in the color of your mock-up. I think some cool marine blue or "old blue" chairs thrown in the mix would look very beachy along with an interesting over table light in white. I think an aged wood floor (with no paint) would look particularly nice. Overall you could give an impression of beach sand colors on bottom with cool marine blue chairs and water color of the refrigerator. The right ceiling light in white could represent white clouds in the sky. You could even tint the ceiling with a lighter version on the frig color. (Edited to add rug and chair).Twig chair from cottagehome.com in "old Blue". You can order it in that color right on the site.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 14:49

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gscience,

Thank you, thank you, for posting your lovely kitchen! I remember it now, as well as the anecdotes about repair people and such! Interestingly, my first thought was "hers doesn't look so shockingly bright". So funny that you circled back to see it looks lighter in the photo than IRL. In the photo, though, it looks like it plays nice with muddier colors? That's my real issue, is how muddy I can be, since the sample I have looks pretty pure.

According to BM color capture, the sample I have is Harborside Blue. On a hunch I held the sample against a Tiffany shopping bag, and it is very very close. That's a pretty saturated color. Today I am taking the sample to the paint store to see what their machine says.

I have to run now but wanted to thank you G, again, for posting! Be back later to reply to all.

Thanks!

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

geokid, as I posted, nearly the same color scheme in my kitchen as in your second pic. (you can only see a bit of the blue ceiling) and I have a gray counter top on opposite side of room.

• eandhl
    10 years ago

I would look for gray that would blend well with the trim on the range.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I went to the paint store and they color matched my sample to (be still my heart) Mexicali Turquoise. So my captain's house is now Ye Olde Ole!

Well, it is a tad lighter. After sleeping on it, I think I will go one of three directions, in no particular order:

1. A yellowy cream color
    2. A lighter aqua color
    3. A warm grey color.

I may even make the d/w different then the worktable (hey, this is unfitted!). I think I will do a navy and white striped sink curtain.

I ruled out the stronger colors because they are a bit out of my comfort zone, and because the room is dark so I think the colors may intensify. (In fact, I am now thinking of making the back entry door, which opens onto a small screened porch, a french door, to add light). I also take Kswl's point that the wood pieces (table, hutch, and doors) already bring in another color. I am not doing the pieces in wood because I already spec'd them as paint grade, and because the house has sooooo much wood.

Eandhl, A little tough because I don't want to take delivery until the room is done. And Ive never seen it in person!

Schoolhouse, love the cabinet under your sink, and the whole feel of the place. Thanks for posting!

Jterri, wow! Nice job. The mustard is too intense for me , though, and I already own the chairs and light fixtures, etc etc. Also, the floor needs to be refinished (it had tile on top). It can't be left as is. I figure painting it will mean it'll look aged in no time.

Alex, gorgeous rooms! I don't want to to stained or raw wood, because I trying to down down all the wood in the room/house. But a yellowy cream is a top contender!

Geokid,
    I love that kitchen. But I don't think I could live with it. Especially because I am using so much color and pattern throughout the house. I think coral would be smashing, but I am too chicken. However, i do like the grey blue with the turq. That's a good thing to note.

Joshuasmah, Yes, I went there first! A lot of coral and mustard. Not many kitchens, unless i wasn't looking in the right place.

Schoolhouse, I know what you mean about schoolbus yellow!

JMC, and Tibbrix, I think location can give direction. IMHO, places with lots of strong sunlight can dictate a diff palette. A north-facing New England room can look circusy if I try to channel Coral Gables, KWIM?

Annie, thanks for the design seeds! I need to look thru them closely. There are actually a lot of directions I can go.

JMC, I have a near-pathological aversion to red. I have seen that pic, and I agree, it looks great. I just hate red. That said, I agree it looks good w Turq.

Thank you, Judd!

Chickadee, I was thinking the same thing ... in other words, steal ideas from professionals who mix turquoise with other colors. Being lazy, I started w Calico Corners and Dash and Albert, since those i can search on line. I am still worn out from my BA fabric search!

Nosoccermom, I won't use that floor, for I do like ogling it!

Thanks, Anele, I love the gold touches with it! I am also using Turq in the MBR suite so these photos help there, too.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Mtn, ha I figured it would be too much but hey even the process of elimination is helpful to a point.
    I recently discovered a pale creamy yellow that I love so much I’m using it for two bedrooms and a bath. Believe it or not it’s Sherwin Williams Antique white. It makes me so happy every time I go into the finished bedroom with that wall color.

• teeda
    10 years ago

I really love the direction you are going in with your kitchen. I think the turquoise will be fabulous with your navy bistro chairs. Can't believe I'm saying this, but my first choice now would actually be the lighter turquoise for your painted cabinetry. With the white floor, tile and sink, I think it would add a lot of fun yet be actually be restful (which to me is exactly what vacation is all about). I also think it would be so completely appropriate for a vintage beach house. I know you are going for the feel of a captain's house passed on through the family. Well I've been in a lot of beautiful old Maine beach houses that have stayed in families like that--and I could totally see someone painting the cabinets to match that fridge (not the built in cupboard, just the cabinets on the sink wall). Don't know what you're thinking about for countertops, but I picture something like linoleum or marmoleum--maybe even with the stainless steel edge!
    Anyhow, attached are some turquoise kitchens that--while much different in style form yours--show how a good amount of turquoise really isn't too much! The first is actually Bobby Flay's beach house--look at the turquoise with the chairs like yours!

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Ahem, notice in WMA89's last photo the taupe wainscoting and wood trim. Imagine it, next to that gorgeous turquoise cabinet, on a white floor.

Bee-yoo-tee-ful! Beachy! Calming! Fabulous!

• suero
    10 years ago

Whatever color you pick, check it against the sink and stove. You don't want those two to look dingy next to the dishwasher and work table.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

At this point, your givens are:
    off white
    light/medium wood
    navy
    turquoise
    black somewhere?

If you go with the strip of Mexicali, the lightest would be BM water drops or one up BM Oceanfront; however, on the BM site,they look almost green.

BTW, is this the kitchen that was one of the inspirations?

Maybe this kind of light aqua?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Jterri. Boy, SW Antique White is much stronger then one would think!

Thanks, WMA. I am thinking about lighter versions of the fridge color; BM Water Drops is the lightest shade on the card. Only I am used to using muddier colors when I go pale, I wonder if it won't look ice cream parlor-y. BTW, I just bought those egg shaped pendants that you show in photo 2, for a hallway!

Thanks, Tibbrix.

Suero, Good point. Although I don't think I am using any whites on the cabs, so hopefully okay. Bizarre thing w the stove is that it includes "Mandatory" "White Glove Delivery" that they charge an extra $1,000 for. Very distasteful practice with Orwellian terminology. But you can well imagine then, I don't want that puppy delivered until all else is pristine!

NoSoccerMom,
    Yes, that was an inspiration. KSWL posted it for me way back, when we are actually under contract on a different beachhouse, IIRC. When we ended up buying this house, I knew I wanted unfitted and remembered the table. I cut and pasted that in. The layout is not too dissimilar either. Looking at it now, I am thinking I should make one wooden piece grey and one cream. Maybe use a sink fabric with turquoise and navy, but something simple... stripe, check?

As for the color cabinets in the your (lovely) last photo, they remind me of Teresa's Green by FNB. I was set on that color until i switched to this whacky fridge. I just can't see dropping that Mexicali Turq into that scene, KWIM?

• patricianat
    10 years ago

Look at gray wisp and gray mist by BM as a consideration for painted cabinetry color in your kitchen.

Use navy blue bedticking as a covering at your sink to echo the color from the chairs. Use a set of small navy blue ceramic or stoneware pots or dishes, mugs, etc., or even a set of cookware around the cooking area.

Let the aqua fridge stand alone.

Gray wisp and gray mist are great colors for vintage wood. Blue and gray can work together.

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Mtn'dux, I'm starting to have heart palpitation over this project, and it's not even my home. Would you hurry up and make some decisions already? hahaha. Seriously, you've been given some awesome choices, but the ultimate one is yours. Are you hoping to be completed and in by summer, June, 2014? Drum roll...............please.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Hahahha! If there's anyone that need not be pushed to action, it is Mtnrd! She's an A-1 go getter!

• edeevee
    9 years ago

It may be the fever but ...

I was reading Magnaverde's clippings and when I got to these lines: Here in Chicago, there's a very elegant living room furnished in country French-style (and here, I mean the real thing: 18th century carved wood paneling, comfortable honey-colored Louis XV-style chairs upholstered in cotton velvet in dusty plums & aquas & mustards ...

and I thought of you and your half-baked kitchen. What about a dusty plum?

No really, I'm serious. You've got the aqua(ish) in the fridge. You've got the (honey)mustard(ish) in your hutch and table. Plum plays well with the rest of your colors: turquoise, navy, white -- and might give the other wood pieces a little extra punch since plum is nearly opposite them on the color wheel. And it doesn't need to be in your face plum. Several people have suggested taupe or gray, of which there are variations that lean toward the plum side.

Like I said ... it might be the fever, but I'm throwing it out there just in case it's not.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi, Edeevee,

Gorgeous color. But not summery enough, kwim? This house will be used primarily in the summer, and that lovely rich color feels wintry to me.

Gee, Patty, I'm far more used to people telling me to slow down, take my time, spend a season there, etc etc! I have in fact vacillated far more than usual because I have moved out of my normal "50 Shades of White" approach to decor!

Which is a nice segue for my decision. I have decided that what will work best for me personally, look most vintage and unfitted, and work in a somewhat dark room, is to use a mix of neutrals on the sink wall, with a navy and white sink skirt (TBD), and pick up the turq only in the back wall of the hutch and maybe dishtowels, vase, etc.

I am using two different neutrals for the custom wood pieces (the d/w front and table), cream and grey.

Here are the colors:

Here is the new mockup:

Of course, i may tweak the exact shades when I am there in person, but at least now I have a road map.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Fabulous! Love it! Gonna be gorgeous! I think you've made a wonderful decision.

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

Edee, what a great idea about the "plum"! Who would have thought that would look so nice in the mix (sorry Mtn I know this isn't your thing).

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 12:57

• edeevee
    9 years ago

Terrific! The only thing I'm not 100% sold on is the turquoise in the back of the hutch. I'm still loving the idea of spoons.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

By golly, Mtn, I think you've got it!

• eandhl
    9 years ago

Mtn, I like your road map.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

We knew you'd get there! Perfect for you! But I do like that plum, and I totally get why you're not choosing it but oh my how rich it looks!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

outside, check out Benjamin Moore's Vintage Charm. Such a stunning color, IMO.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Edeevee,
    If it helps, the glass uppers in the adjoining butler's pantry will have the spoons, ok? : ) I just wanted to repeat the Turq somewhere so it looks intentional.

Thanks, Tibbrix, Eandhl, Patricia,
    I am happy with it. I think one thing I didn't realize until i did it is that I want the items in the center to be pale and similar, and then for the sink and table at each end to have similar visual weight (they are the same size).

Edevee,
    I would love a kitchen just like that photo --- the rich plum with white marble and gold! That's for my dream pied a terre!

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I like it a lot. Like the warmer grays, white, and woods. No ice cream parlor....

But maybe your sea captain brought back some Portuguese blue and turquoise ceramics on his voyages to Brazil or some Chinese Foo Dog lamps?

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Looks fab! I think the simplified color palette looks beachy and sophisticated!

• teeda
    9 years ago

Love your new color scheme!

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Very nice and completely right for you and your kitchen, mtn. There are lots of wonderful navy prints for your sink skirt....you may even find one with a hint of turquoise throw in!

While you are reading this I wanted to post a picture of a rug I saw on the Rug Studio website--- it is fun and colorful in an Anthropologie sort of way and would be easy to roll up and discard if your girls' tastes change. The company is called Company C, and they have a lot of fun rugs that are colorful in the way those pillows you posted are--- happy and bright pastels,

Here is a link that might be useful: Rug Studio

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, KSWL, that IS fun and happy. Also a good fit for the era of the house, with a tinge of colonial to them. Thanks for thinking of me; I will have to go to that site, too.

The girls' attic suite has been a bit back burnered. I ordered some Kantha quilts from Etsy and the color was a bit off. Then, while we were in NOLA, we found some great square poofs and had those sent home; those colors are more vibrant than the kantha. Neither are really in the pastel family, either. I think, especially with an eclectic look, we are going to have to try things out in the space and keep what works and donate what does not. Thankfully, none of it was pricey.

Thank you, WMA.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Did you see this kitchen over in kitchens? All turquoise!

Here is a link that might be useful: CL Kitchen

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Annie, yes I did!

• voila
    9 years ago

Everyone loves brainstorming with you, mtn. So many opinions, but as has been said, this is your kitchen. I do think KSWL had a great idea in finding fabric with navy and aqua. Just a follow up on that thought-P Kaufman Coral Splendor Pacific includes navy & aqua. (Stain resistant). I think this would look nice gathered.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You are (too) kind Voila, and I welcome all ideas!

Here is my thinking on the sink skirt. While I do want to repeat turquoise somewhere, there are other, competing goals for the room. I want the kitchen to look old, and I want it to look somewhat utilitarian (since it is unfitted, first and foremost). To me that suggests a simple linen fabric with some texture, in colorways that suggest primitive dying. Handily, i do want to nod to the navy in the chair anyway, and navy is a color that fits the fabric i'm imagining. Hence I am looking for a navy and off white fabric.

I did originally think that there was some elusive fabric, whereby people who know what they're doing had already found a good palette for turquoise that I could steal. But all of that fabric feels wrong to me as a sink skirt. The closest i have gotten is this Robshaw print (below), but I still don't think it is the best choice.

All of this may beg the question, why buy a turq fridge then? Mostly because I want one, but I can create a logic to it, too. And this is a concept I credit to Palimpsest's postings.

I used to think one had two choices for decorating a room. Today, or the original room. It never occurred to me that you could time travel. That you could have a room that says "wow, they haven't touched this kitchen since the 30s. Except when they had to buy a new fridge sometime in the 50s". That is my kitchen's story line.

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

The thing I like about you Mtn is that you stick to your guns until you have it figured out. Love the time travel concept, I have a bathroom in the new house with navy and cream Itailan tile . It's pretty but does not relate to the rest of my home (unlike yours). However, I can not bring myself to take it down. Think I'll do a time travel thing . I just have to figure out the time I'm traveling in lol.

• voila
    9 years ago

Kudos to you for knowing your path. Thank you for the journey explanation. Time travel?? I'm loving it. Brava!

• feisty68
    9 years ago
  • patricianat
    9 years ago

Mtn, what you say is the reason I suggested to let the fridge stand alone as if you had to replace the original wooden ice box at some time with the new electric current box with a light inside that came on when you opened the door. You liked the new aqua/turquoise and decided when you bought it that some day you would change out the whole kitchen to match, but you never found a round tuit, so it stands in time as it was years ago with the addition of some newer fangle pieces, a la fridge and perhaps you found a cheap can of aqua/turquoise to fancy up the back of the cabinet so the fridge didn't look lost in the sea of precentury color.

• kitschykitch
    9 years ago

You do know you are a little bit crazy, right?

• Arapaho-Rd
    9 years ago

mtn, I'm a little late to the "party" but see that your vision is coming together like always with a little brainstorming here. The gray is subtle and let's the turquoise stand as the accent color. Love the navy with it as well. Came across the link below - thought you might find it interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Retro Renovation