Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dawn_t

Revere Pewter - too light for this livingroom? (*Pic)

dawn_t
12 years ago

Hi,

After 37 dozen paint chip samples, I finally settled on BM Revere Pewter for my livingroom. I've never liked the bandaid pink (Shaker Beige) that I originally chose. Now that I have a few sample areas painted, my DH thinks that it's too light and that there's no definition between walls and ceiling (BM Simply White).

It's a bit better at night (there are 3 sunny east facing windows to the right of the pic and 1 south window).

What do you think? Should I start over?

{{!gwi}}

Comments (23)

• nicole74
    12 years ago

I like it! I think once you get all of the walls done you will get the full effect. I have been thinking of doing my laundry room Revere pewter.

• lolauren
    12 years ago

I agree with nicole74. I've seen plenty of examples of RP w/ white contrasting very nicely. Is your DH just used to more contrast with the SB? Is that extra contrast something necessary?

• kimiko232
    12 years ago

Don't feel bad. In our home, the RP doesn't have much definition between the ceiling and the walls either. Only in our kitchen. Everywhere else, there is a nice definition. Actually, I love it everywhere but where we are at the most! If I didn't already buy five gallons of the stuff, I probably would have chosen a different color (I kept testing it in our nook, hallway, family room, everywhere else!) You can't really go a few shades darker on the strip (in my deck). It's in by itself with with no other darker colors. So, if you don't think that it has much definition now. I don't think that it's going to change much if you paint the whole room that color. You might try it on a different wall in your kitchen to see if it changes, just in case.

RP runs green in our house a little bit. Certain times of the day it's definitely green. You might try a darker shade. Maybe weimaraner (hope that's spelled right) that seems to be a popular grey. If you are looking for a darker grey, we have chelsea grey on the bottom of our cabinets. It's a nice darker grey that goes really well with our revere pewter as both have green touches in them. I really like the chelsea gray. It looks very sophisticated and rich. It's in the historical section (like RP), so there may be something lighter that may be along the lines of what you're looking for on the color card. Good luck!

• busybee3
    12 years ago

we did the sitting room in our MBR in RP... i too thought that it was very light and that there was little definition between the ceiling and walls---i just painted all of it RP... looks nice and makes for easy painting!

• les917
    12 years ago

I think it will be pretty with your floors. I would just paint the ceiling the RP as well, especially with all those angles. It will bring the attention down to the room.

• dawn_t
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much everyone, for the responses!
    I so badly wanted color everywhere in our new home after our previous dark, tiny 500 sg ft home that we lived in for 30 yrs, lol. Have always been a brown, mustard, olive kinda gal, but lately find that I'm really drawn to pics of rooms w/ silvery walls and lime green/turquoise accents (Pottery Barn?).

Think I'll just go for it - it's only paint, right? Not! - 2 gal of Aura = $158.00!

It's been a lo-o-o-ong 4 yr DIY build.
    Good thing I've not got around to putting on the baseboards and trim yet ;)

When I'm done painting I'm going to come back and beg for furniture/design placement for this slightly awkward & angular living room (yes, I designed it - what was I thinking?)

Thanks again,
    Dawn

• pps7
    12 years ago

Dawn, someone on the building forum had used revere pewter but darkened. you may want to try a sample of that before you spend $168.

Good luck, paint colors are so hard!

• pps7
    12 years ago

Here are the pics of the darkened revere pewter I saved.

• dawn_t
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Very pretty - thanks for sharing pps7!
    I failed to mention that I already bought the paint. Could always use it somewhere in the basement, though it will probably be 2020 before THAT gets finished...

• pps7
    12 years ago

I think you can still take it back to the store to add pigment.

• dawn_t
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You're right! *smacks head*
    :)
    Have a great weekend!

• daisychain01
    12 years ago

I'm a bit OC about paint colours, but what I've done in the past (before full-time employment gave me something else to think about) is put the light colour on the walls that don't get any light and a shade darker on the brighter walls. Everyone thinks it's all one colour, but it's not.

• catkin
    12 years ago

Do you know how they darkened it? Did they just ask for the next darker shade on the strip?

Thanks, never done this--except when I've mixed my own from leftover cans.

• babs711
    12 years ago

catkin, you can't do that with Revere Pewter because it's only in the Historical Collection. So the colors above and below on the chip don't correlate color-wise. It's not in the regular numbered collection at all. Some colors fall in both but not Revere Pewter. But I was looking at my deck last night and it's strangely close to 973 Ice Formations (which is NEVER mentioned anywhere ever). But Ice Formations is the darkest shade on that strip. That entire strip is light shades that seem to vary in tone also.

If you find a shade you like and it's not dark/light enough, it's best to adjust it because the shades above and below can vary slightly in tone even though they don't look like they do. For instance, if you look at the chip with Healing Aloe, Quiet Moments and Beach Glass on it, they go from light to dark in that order but HA has more green, QM is in the middle and BG has more blue. I wanted QM for our bedroom and bath but a tad bit lighter so I had them cut it to 75% of the shade. It was a tad lighter but had I gone to the Healing Aloe, it would have gone greener which I didn't want. Had, it been the other direction and I'd have wanted the QM to be slightly darker, I couldn't have used BG because it has a bit more blue in it and would have given me a different color. So it's best to just add more pigment if you find a shade you want and it's just not dark enough.

You would darken the shade by asking the paint store to add more pigment in percentage increments... to make it 25%, 50%, etc. darker. You can also make shades lighter by having them lightened in percentage increments. I have no idea if it's adding white or taking out pigment. I just know it makes the exact shade you want lighter.

That was WAY more long winded than I though it was going to be when I started this reply! LOL! Sorry!

• lascatx
    12 years ago

Yes, they can just add more pigment to the paint in the same proportions as the original if you are happy witht he color but want it darker. I wanted to say that you might want to put a little more on the wall and give it a second coat before you make that decision. I am seeing peach through the swatch you have painted, so you aren't getting the full effect of it. I don't think darker would be wrong, but you might not need it if you get more paint on the wall.

You might also want to see if you can get a sample of RP mixed at 150% (the regular plus half again more), 125% (just a quarter more) or whatever and test that plus what you already have on a bit more wall to decide.

• fauve01
    12 years ago

we did our MBath in RP. We tried several sample grays, and RP was the right amount of warmness while the other grays were too cold and blue in the room. SO while i LOVE the shade/color of the RP grey on our walls, i do *sometimes* think it is too light in our bath. That said, the tiles and vanity/cupboards are DARK, so DH thinks the RP is perfect amount of light. The room has 3 windows and gets a LOT of light in the daytime. Sometimes it seems perfect to me, and sometimes it seems like white on the walls. i think you won't know til you see it up on all the walls! that's what is tough about paint. I thought the RP would be great--it wasn't til it was all up everywhere that I felt it was light. I would still get RP, but darkened a bit, now that i know about that ;)

anyway, here are some pics i took trying to show the contrast of the RP and white ceiling/trim. It looks darker in these pics than IRL (to me).

HTH

• dawn_t
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks again, everyone, for the great info and suggestions! And very nice bathroom pics Fauve01 - thanks for sharing.

I'm sticking with Revere Pewter for the color, just have not yet made the 50 mile trek back to the paint store to try it mixed at 125% / 150%.

BTW, I have samples of BM Raindance and Gray Wisp next to the Revere Pewter and they look awesome as an accent color...

Dawn

• hopmom
    12 years ago

We are using Revere Pewter at 150% in our basement (see pics) -- I also considered Gray Wisp in the adjoining mudroom area -- but decided to do all Revere Pewter -- but here's a pic showing the gray wisp and Revere Pewter together (this was just the first coat).

I think you'll like the Revere Pewter -- it probably appears lighter on top of your current color than it will look when it's done.

Revere Pewter at 150% (basement is a work in progress):
    {{!gwi}}

• catkin
    12 years ago

Thank you for the excellent explanations!

• cherigw
    12 years ago

dawn t. . .now you've gone and done it!! Painted my bathroon Shaker Beige last year when I had it redone and have absolutely loved it. Now everytime I go in there, all I can think of is "band-aid pink" (:((((!!

• dawn_t
    Original Author
    12 years ago

cherigw, I'm so sorry - that was pretty tactless of me.
    I love the look of Shaker Beige in everyone else's homes and pictures; that's why I chose it in the first place. But for some reason, in my home, the Shaker takes on a pinky hue :(
    I have a ton of natural light, so maybe that's why?
    BTW, I bet your bathroom looks just lovely!

Sorry again for my poor choice of words!
    Dawn

• cherigw
    12 years ago

Dawn, not a problem. . . my response was intended to be humorous!! I still love my bathroom and the SB goes beautifully with my tile and counters. I just felt I had to post because, as I said, everytime I go in there, "band-aid pink" pops into my head, but the thought usually elicits if not a giggle at least a smile!! Hope you find the perfect color for your living room!!