Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abbey_cny

Looking for help with paint color for bedroom

abbey_cny
10 years ago

I have a terrible time picking out the right paint color, so I am hoping you folks on this forum can offer me some guidance. Just repainted my front bedroom due to my poor choice in paint so I am hoping to avoid that this time around.
I will be having my bedroom painted and am leaning towards blue or grey color. but am open to other suggestions. The bedroom is north facing, with 3 windows. It is a somewhat darker room as the bedroom faces my back yard which is heavily treed. I am hoping for a color which would brighten up the room a bit, without being too bright.
Thanks!

Abbey

Comments (11)

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Blues and grays might not help brighten up a north-facing room.

I LOVE C2 paint colors. I wish I hadn't forgotten about them when I was painting my house, which I did all in Benjamin Moore, which was maddening because of the 8 million choices. C2 paint colors are gorgeous, and there is a small palette, making picking a color so easy. You can scan over the color, which will enlarge each square and give you the name of the color. For instance, I did my living room in BM White Sand, and I do not like it. I'm going to redo it in C2 Smidgeon, a beautiful pearly gray. a friend did her library in C2 Karma, which is how I learned about C2 paint. I am not a "gold" person, but that Karma is SO gorgeous in her library.

Here is a link that might be useful: C2 Paint Color Palette

• erinsean
    10 years ago

I do love grey but with a north facing room with shaded light, I would probably choose cream, light taupe or light sage green. I have light taupe walls in my north facing bedroom and I never think of it as too dark....I have ecru colored lace curtains and a blue/taupe figured bedspread....carpeting is light beige.

• abbey_cny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to both of you for your helpful suggestions. I just had my front bedroom painted Sherwin Williams Irish Cream, which I love, but I was hoping for more color in this bedroom. But being dark, as you said, blue or grey wouldn't be the best choices. I will check out the C2 Paints, and also see what is available in light sage green.

Abbey

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

I just painted my bedroom and was looking at paints in the blue/gray/green range, so looked through quite a few paint samples. A couple that you may want to look at are SW Sea Salt and Rainwashed. I think either would add color without being dreary in a north facing room. Looks great with white trim and bedding.

Here is Sea Salt

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

and here is Rainwashed (although this looks to be a sunnier room than what you are describing)

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Check out Lichen, C2 #706

Balsam # 684

Water Chestnut, # 818 - interesting color!

Bella Donna #782

• abbey_cny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

wow! Lots of helpful suggestions. I had been considering sea salt a while ago but had forgotten about it. I will be checking all of these suggestions out. Thank you so much!

Abbey

• sis2two
    10 years ago

I tried out sea salt in my north facing bedroom but as someone had noted on this site it went kind of drab. Ended up using Palladian blue by BM and really like it. Much cheerier than the sea salt in my space.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Second Palladian Blue.
    I also sampled Healing Aloe and Quiet Moments.

Other options that I sampled are Wedgewood Grey, Yarmouth Blue, Whythe Blue, Woodlawn Blue. Ended up using Yarmouth.

• abbey_cny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again for all of the suggestions. I am going to get some sample pots (I hope!) to paint on the wall to see what they all look like. Have learned from past experience that small samples don't always give a good indication of what the whole room will look like, but it is a start!

Abbey

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

No soccermom,

When I was house hunting, I looked at a house that had Yarmouth Blue on the master bedroom walls. I was utterly taken by the color, so much so that I asked the realtor if she'd ask the homeowner what the color was, which is how I came to learn it was Yarmouth Blue. I vowed then to do my bedroom in Yarmouth Blue when I got a house.

Got the house, ready to do the YB, but it looked baby blue to me on the walls. I kept telling myself how much I loved in in that house, but in the end, I went with Quiet Moments. I loved the QM at first, felt like I was waking up in the sea thanks to all the gray in the color, but sometimes I think it's too minty or "little boy"-ish. The only color I chose for my house that I have never had any second thoughts about is BM Van Courtland Blue.

But if/when I repaint, I'm going with C2 paints colors.