Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hey_j

Tobacco Road experts!!

Janice
15 years ago

Anyone have this color on just one wall? If so, does it come across as dark during the daytime?

I'm AGONIZING over what to do with one wall in our family room. I need something neutral, not too gold or,

not too gray/pink and will go with S.W. Ivoire on the other walls, above wainscoting!

I began the thread 'Is Blonde Orangey for you?' and have gone the gamut now with the various colors suggested!

The problem seems to be:

If it looks good in daylight, it's too brassy-olive or brassy gold at night!

If it's warm enough (not too dark to my eye) in daylight, at night it washes out!

I'm feeling the pressure to make a decision, as my husband is racing along with putting up the 3-1/2" tongue and

groove pine boards up to the ceiling on the wall I want to accent! He'll be moving on to doing the chair-rail and

wainscoting in the same material (on sidewalls) very quickly and I've run out of testing area when he gets there!

I could paint the boards but hate to do that till I'm sure what I want!!!

I feel like I've had 10 cups of coffee right now!!!

Comments (32)

• tinam61
    15 years ago

Check out Nester's entry today - Tobacco Road!

www.nestingplacenc.blogspot.com

tina

• parma42
    15 years ago

I think a problem you might encounter is with the "and will go with S.W. Ivoire on the other walls, above wainscoting!"

I have Ivoire and it's going to be hard to match it up within your parameters. Do you already have the Ivoire on all the walls or are you just looking at the sample? It is going to read more yellow at night and where you have it on a greater area.

It would be easier to just pick something like the TR or another color and just cut it 50% for the rest or if you want to stick with the Ivoire, to do Blonde or Restrained Gold.

Trust me...Ivoire doesn't like tan next to it.

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh dear!!! I have two walls painted with 'Ivoire, right now! I painted the 'Tobacco' road on the existing wainscoting
    that we WILL be replacing. It looks great with the TR in daylight--since these walls face east and south and do not
    get any direct natural lighting--ever! Last night, I recall the TR looking a bit brassy olive near the lamps'light!

I'm going for warmth but not 'hot'! I want this room to be a comfortable place to pass through, even in Summer.
    I say 'pass through' because we are mostly outdoors in the summer--I love 'hosta' and have a collection
    that makes our shade areas wonderful to be in!

I find, that before ripping up the rust carpet and taking down the dark paneling ( on 'the one wall' I'm struggling with),
    it was nice in the winter, but not at all a place I wanted to be in in the Summer--even on a rainy day!

So, tan and Ivoire aren't going to make a happy marriage? Sigh! So, would it be acceptable to paint the pine wall with the
    Ivoire, too, with it in mind that I will have the pine as wainscoting under the Ivoire on the other walls?? What if I accent the
    top boards in a medium taupe? I say top 'boards' because I want to top the wainscoting with a 4" wide board with some
    narrow molding at the transition from wainscoting to the wider board and cap it with a narrow shelf-like look! I would also
    add the narrow molding under the shelf-like board.

I'm wondering if the taupe would transition the tan better to the Ivoire?

Maybe--I ought to consider EK's Honeysuckle! I've avoided it because it tends to look peachy to me, at times.
    That might be okay at night but I just don't think I'd like 'peachy' during the day!!! If I did 'Honeysuckle' I guess
    it would need a more beige and taupe coupling--you think?

Thank you, tinam61, for the link! A wonderful blog, for sure!

Make that 5 more cups of coffee to what I was feeling earlier! This is ridiculous to feel this stressed over paint!!!
    Good grief---deep breath in--breathe slowly out!!! KER--LUNK (me passing out--hitting the floor)!

• parma42
    15 years ago

No taupe, tan would be better than taupe with the Ivoire. Did you paint with a SW tester quart of the Ivoire or buy a whole gallon of it? If gallon, what base (type) is the paint?

Do you have any pics? Please get off the floor, right now!!! LOL.

• parma42
    15 years ago

I reread your post. It would be fine to paint the whole shebang? in Ivoire. The pine would still offer a different texture to the room.

Or maybe a nice grey, but I wouldn't want you to start tearing your hair out, with a new color added to the mix. :)

I love our areas that have just Ivoire, and it would be lovely on the way to a garden area. It's when the color abuts our darker tan family room that it doesn't work for me.

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Parma--you're wonderfully patient with me and so helpful!!!

Okay--I just had hubby pick up SW Whole Wheat 50%! I put some on the top part of the walls, (it's decidedly sand color
    at 50%) and some on the existing wainscoting! I'm priming the pine tongue and groove--right now with Kilz stainblocker,
    but had to take time out to breathe! Whew!

So--I'm thinking----I just might do the Ivoire all over but on the wainscotting where there is the partial treatment and just
    try to deal with the lighting issues (or lack thereof) in that area without having to deal with the one wall that gets so much
    daytime lighting!!

I haven't applied any of the Ivoire to that main wall yet! Gulp! Hope that doesn't send me straightway to the funny farm!!!

Back to priming and stewing!!! Thank you, Parma--you're a dear!!!

• pumpkin_spice
    15 years ago

Poor thing, I know how stressful picking paint colors can be. I've been at it for 6 months now. I have TR throughout my main living area, and it varies anywhere from gold to rich tan, depending on the light.

Question about Ivoire: how does it look at night, under artificial lighting? Does it get more intensely yellow?

• eliza_824
    15 years ago

Pumpkin, forgive me if I've already asked you this another thread, but I have a question... I'm thinking of doing TR in my formal dining room (in new house) but some of the other visible walls may be a green-gray-khaki color (not too dark, but not light either- if that makes sense!)... do you think those would flow? I'd love to see pics of your home!

• pumpkin_spice
    15 years ago

I need to take pictures so I can post them. I have to charge the batteries for my camera, which I keep meaning to do and then forgetting!

TR has a very slight green undertone to it, so I'd think it might work with a khaki, but it's hard to say without seeing them side by side. I do have SW Grasslands (a gray green) in my office which I can see from my living area, and I think they look fine together.

And I thought I'd just throw this out there for anyone afraid of green undertones: If you live near a Dunn Edwards, they have a color called Gourmet Honey that is absolutely gorgeous. It's similar to Tobacco Road but leans more red than green.

• pumpkin_spice
    15 years ago

Posted these in another thread but I thought I'd share them here as well. Here are my walls painted with Duron Tobacco Road as mixed by SW:

• eliza_824
    15 years ago

Pumpkin, please PLEASE forgive if I sound like a broken record, but what is the formula for your SW TR?? Just want to make sure I have the same as you! I LOVE TR on your walls! LOVE IT!

• eliza_824
    15 years ago

Pumpkin, disregard my prior post-- I just read on another thread that you don't have your can anymore, so never mind! I think my formula must be the same, though, b/c I went in to my local SW and said the same thing! Ha! Thanks for all your help-- love your pics. Beautiful home :)

• susan_v
    15 years ago

Pumpkin can you please tell me the color of your trim? Thanks!

• pumpkin_spice
    15 years ago

I wish I could help eliza, but unfortunately I no longer have the can. I know I specifically asked for DURON TR when I went to SW, and the guy wrote Duron 8214 Tobacco Road on the can, so I'm assuming it's the original formula.

I was able to dig up the quart-size sample I have, so I can give you that formula if it helps. I have no idea how formulas translate from quart to gallon, but maybe someone does. It's all Greek to me. :)

• eliza_824
    15 years ago

Whoop, my bad! It IS just like your formula-- exactly!! Yea!

• elle3
    15 years ago

Eliza, the quart sized sample is the formula I previously posted and the same as the one posted above.
    But...I had a gallon mixed yesterday in Durations satin and the formula is different! I questioned my new friend at SW because I wanted it to look the same. This formula had black, maroon, and deep gold in it. That's the same formula I had seen on the older tobacco road thread. So, he dipped the paint on white cardstock and took a blowdryer out--it came out exactly the same. The colorants used for the formula change depending on the base used. It says Tobacco Road 8214. This differs from the formula posted by Gk's beautiful den, but is the same formula posted by magnolia lady, if that makes sense.
    Anyway, DH is going to paint this weekend...hopefully I can borrow my friend's camera and I will post some pics for you:)
    I don't know if you remember (there are so many threads about this topic--I'm not sure where I posted!), but I had painted a section with blonde, and directly underneath I painted a section of troad. The blonde looked more gold and the tr looked more tannish/gold. And the troad looked slightly darker. But when I taped up a swatch of the blond directly on top of the wall painted in tobacco road, they looked very similar. Just goes to show you that you really must paint a large section to get a true feel for the color!

• funkyart
    15 years ago

hey j, this post took a turn in another direction.. how are you doing with the ivoire? Are you going with all ivoire or did you try the honeysuckle?

You havent leaned towards Parma's suggestion for the other colors on the ivoire paint strip but I have to say that I am gaga for restrained gold. I have loved the paint strip and every photo I have seen of it.. wish I had a room where I could use it.

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think it took a great turn--I love the look of TR--I just wish it would look like the pics. pumpkin posted here
    on my walls! It's all about lighting--obviously!! Sigh! I even loved the pics. of SW Blonde on this forum but, alas,
    not on my walls!

So--I just took a dive and ordered EK's Honeysuckle and Sand! So far, they look good day and night for me!
    I still love the SW 'Ivoire' and having only used Benjamin Moore paints in the past before Ellen Kennons, (which is
    ICI Dulux paint using her color formulas) I wanted to be able to try Sherwin Williams, as well!!! Sigh!

'Honeysuckle' is definitely more peachy (slightly--only slightly than most 'yellows') but it is warm and adds brightness
    without overpowering or washing out or becoming brassy--not brassy in the least!

The 'Sand' worked wonderfully for me, especially at night (so far only swaths painted on my walls) not turning green and by day
    not too 'flesh' toned except this a.m. around 8:00 a.m. it was a tad 'fleshy' with direct sunlight! However, it is only one coat
    on my walls so two will give me a much better idea!

I still can't decide if I want to do the one 16' long wall in the sand or the 'Honeysuckle', floor to ceiling on pine tongue and groove.
    The wainscotting, on the side walls I'm thinking I will do in the 'Sand' with 'Honeysuckle on the drywalls above. In those areas,
    the wainscotting is made up of the same 3 1/2" wide tongue and groove pine, only 40" high!

It's always such a pleasure to speak with Ellen, and I couldn't believe she remembered me and my projects of 2005/6,
    as soon as I told her my name! I told her that could be good or bad, depending on the impression I made on her!!!
    She laughed and assured me it was not a negative thing--hope she wasn't put on the spot!!! Some 'memories' of folks
    can be decidedly unpleasant, ya' know!! :o) I always love chatting with her as she has the accent my SIL, has, although
    my SIL is from south Fla., lived in Miami and finally moved to the 'north'--northly end of Fla., that is!! LOL

Ellen is just a very nice person to deal with--really very gracious and willing to help and pleasantly chatty, too!!

It's so nice to be decided on the paint colors though! I still would love to have SW 'Blonde' or Duron's "Tobacco Road" (#8214, made up
    by SW) look like the pics. everyone's posting!! I did drop a suggestion with Ellen, to try and come up with a full-spectrum version of
    Tobacco Road!! I hope she gives it a whirl--you know it would be awesome, if she does (hint, hint--if you check in on us, Ellen)!!! :o)

Thanks for checking in on my progress, funkyart!!! I love this forum!!!

• Bunny
    15 years ago

I'm still deciding on a color for my living/dining/halls, which flow together. I started with beigy-tan, now think it looks blah and dingy, flip-flopped back to creamy white, but really want some color. TB looks beautiful, and I'm not afraid of a slight green undertone (better green than gray, peach or flesh). I want what Parma has!!!

My only concern is this: My living room only gets direct natural light in the afternoon, not nearly as much as I'd like. It isn't dark or gloomy, since it adjoins a space that gets a lot of light. Still, I'm wondering if TR is gonna be too dark during the day.

• parma42
    15 years ago

I'm confused (not a new phenomenon).

If you're referring to my DR/LR, I have SW Ivoire, not TR.

Thanks for the compliment. :)

• Bunny
    15 years ago

Right you are Parma. It was Pumpkin_Spice's photos I was referring to this time. I want what you both have!

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Funny thing--I wound up using some of my sample quart of T.R. on a wooden picture frame, which was quite wide, to make the dark wood seem more narrow (just one of the molding edges--closest to the matting) and it is on the wall painted EK's Honeysuckle and they look VERY CLOSE on that scale! I bet it would have worked out that I'd have liked it all over, but I LOVE the 'Honeysuckle' day and night and the 'Sand' on the wainscoting is perfect for me, as well!

• pumpkin_spice
    15 years ago

linelle, I really only get sunlight in my main living areas in the morning (which is when I took those pictures). It really comes down to preference, but I don't find it too dark at all. It's a warm, comforting color. The main difference is that it looks more gold in direct light, and more tan in indirect light. I really love it, and I'm usually impossible to please when it comes to paint.

• Bunny
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info, Pumpkin. I'm also in the impossible to please when it comes to paint camp. I find myself going in complete circles: want color, end up picking dingey neutrals, decide maybe off-white is better, want color.

I'm looking at squares of color against my builder's white wall. Of course, the contrast against all that white makes them leap and scream at me.

When you say "warm, comforting" I go, yes, that's what I want! I need to go over to SW today and see what they have to say.

• User
    15 years ago

The formula on the paint can. . . beside the words raw umber what's that say? W1? N1?
    My SW tried to tell me over the phone they couldn't do it.

• pumpkin_spice
    15 years ago

I'm pretty sure it says N1. It doesn't make sense that they can't do it. Even if they don't have the formula in their computer, they should be able to make it if you take in that picture of the formula I posted.

I find it interesting that some SW stores have the formula and some don't. When I actually bought the paint, I went to a different SW than I got the sample quart from. This one didn't have the formula, so they had to call over to the first store to get it.

• redbazel
    15 years ago

Lovely home, pumpkin spice. TR is beautiful.

Red

• User
    15 years ago

Pumpkin - Thanks! I really love this color!
    I'm assuming that forumula was for a gallon and they would need to figure out the amounts for a quart? I would think they could plug some numbers in the system to find out?

• pumpkin_spice
    15 years ago

The formula was actually from my sample quart. I don't have the formula for a gallon, so I guess they'd have to figure it out the reverse way!

And thank you, Red. I'm still decorating the house, which is why I took pictures of mostly bare walls.

• Bunny
    15 years ago

My SW store has all the TR formulas. I told them I wanted the Duron one, and I got it. It's lovely, but I think too dark for my large space.

• randita
    15 years ago

pumpkin_spice, may I ask what stain you have on your wood floors? The TR looks perfect with that stain. Thanks!

• pumpkin_spice
    15 years ago

randita, thanks for the compliment. Unfortunately I don't know the stain, because the floors were installed by the previous owner.

Also, I just saw susan_v's question from a month ago! Same story with the trim. It was there when I bought the home so I don't know the name.