Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shhhh_gw

Help with colors of this design seed...

shhhh
10 years ago

I love this design seed and am interested in using some of these colors for the master bedroom. Please help me names of paint colors which match the colors.

Thanks you all ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Design seed

Comments (11)

• jjstatz
    10 years ago

pale blue or pastel aqua, soft teal, navy blue, Charcoal grey, Olive green, and Beige/sand/tan (from top to bottom).

But... each paint company is going to name them differently. You need to visit a hardware store or one of their websites and view similar paint chips from the company you plan on buying paint from... So...

• patricianat
    10 years ago

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/for-your-home/color-gallery#&ce_vm=0

Go here, pick your colors. Enlarge each one you see. If it is not what it appeared to be when it was small, click on main menu in the upper right area, but not far upper and not far right.

Once you have chosen a color. Move back about 5-15 feet from your computer and look at the enlarged color. I do this a hundred times before I decide on my colors.

If you want to compare (say a green to a blue and they are far apart, open another window and display your gallery there and open another color so that they are more or less side by side.

I spent hours doing this before I get my paint color samples and then I bring them home and try a bit on the wall.

• shhhh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your responses...

I can find similar colors for a lot of these but I need help especially with the 1st and 2nd colors. I am finding it hard to come up with similar colors from Benjamin Moore and that is the only paint company the painter wants us to pick colors from. They painters are already here and I still need to pick colors for the master bedroom and bathroom.

Thanks!

• crl_
    10 years ago

Try summer shower for the first color. And province blue for the second.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Your design seed was posted for 5/4/13. If you go to the web site, look up the design seed, and put your cursor over the color square, it will pop up with the hex code for that color. You can then take the color hex code to encycolorpedia.com, put it in the search box and it will respond with closest colors from the various paint manufacturers.

The first color is aaccd4 which is closest to BM blue bay marina, blue stream or indigo.

The second color is 678f99 which is closest to BM West Coast, Blue Echo or Blue Dust.

The lime is bbc25b which is closest to BM Limeade.

The beige is e6dbcd and is closest to BM Peau de Soie, Ionic Column and Sonnet.

If you look up the colors on encycolorpedia, you may find other paint manufacturers that come closer to the color you want. You can also see the various shades and tints for that color.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I knew Annie would get you covered...way to go Annie!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Annie, you never cease to amaze me!

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    10 years ago

Couple things to keep in mind. HEX/RGB values are not at the top of the color numbers totem pole. (L*a*b* is at the top.)

It's one thing to take a real life paint color and convert it to HEX terms for the additive color space (a monitor). It's another to do the opposite, take a HEX code and try to make it into a real life paint color. If your standards for a "match" are extraordinarily low, then you could say it works. If you have any standards for accuracy, it doesn't work well at all.

Encycolorpedia's standards for 'matching' and reproducing colors for online is sketchy. What I know is a portion of their database comes from going to paint manufacturer's sites and simply eyedropping (digital copying and pasting) paint swatches.

With all of these online sources for colors and palettes, you have to consider where the color came from. Garbage in equals garbage out.

I have never understood why people are so drawn to digital resources for color palettes. I find them useless. They're pretty - don't get me wrong the inspiration factor is not lost on me - but from a professional point of view, I don't get the point beyond the pretty. And this is a perfect example. Pretty colors, but have to take your best guess in order to make them tangible and useful.

I suppose as long as it's crystal clear that it's all a matter of guessing and rubber ruler color management, then no harm no foul. However, I'd imagine it can be quite time consuming and frustrating if you're choosy about what qualifies as a "match".

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I don't know anything about the technology of how they put the branded paint colors together on encycolorpedia, but even on the site they list a delta E for how close or far the paint match is to the hex color, and they suggest 3 colors for the sample, so it's pretty clear it is not an exact match. Beyond that, we know that the light in the room will have a significant impact on how the color appears in the room anyway. So I wouldn't expect to find an exact match, but I would expect to find a direction or a starting point for selecting paint samples to try in the room, or for a swatch to bring along when looking for bedding or drapes or such for the room to keep one on track with the design inspiration.

Beyond that, of course, how and how much of a particular color is in the room has a tremendous impact on the overall look of the room, so at best, the design seed can work as an inspiration, but never a "match".

• shhhh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for your responses...

AnnieDeignNaugh and Funcolors thank you so much for teaching me how to translate the design seeds into actual colors. Funcolors I agree that these interpretations are never exact but I just wanted a starting point from where I can start finding the right color, because frankly choosing colors from a total of 3600+ shades is overwhelming for me...

• dakota01
    9 years ago

Can you share what colors you ended up with?

When I opened this - I thought gez these are similar to what I have in my home.
    My blue is - Quietude
    My dark blue is - either overseas or underseas (whichever is the darkest)
    I haven't picked a green yet - but I am considering New Avacodo by Valspar.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz