Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
htrinh

Furniture color and rearranging closets in master bedroom

htrinh
10 years ago

We have been without furniture for almost a year now in our bedroom. We finally picked a bed but now we need to find nightstands and a dresser. My husband thinks we should get white or light weathered furniture. I think we should get a dark wood. (The legs on the bed and bench are a dark wood with a grain. And the dark bench is not staying in the room.) What do you guys think?

Also, what do you think about removing the closet in the far corner and making the other closet into a walk in? (The closet with the ironing board in front of it.) It would have to be a small closet, 6 ft wide, which would make it extend out to the edge of the ironing board. There would still be plenty of room between the walk in closet and the bed/bench. And removing the other closet would allow us to make a sitting area. It would cost about $3,000. Would it look okay or make more or less sense than the current layout? Would it add any value to the house? (There is a small walk in closet in the bathroom, if that makes a difference.)

Comments (20)

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I've never really understood the concept of a sitting area in a bedroom. Bedrooms are for sleeping and dressing, so why the need for a sitting area. I would think storage would be more important.

What if you took the two inside walls of each closet (the ones facing each other) and created a large closet that extends that entire length? You'd lose the window in the bedroom, which might not be good. Maybe add a row of awning windows over the bed headboard (see pic).

As for the furniture, I'd go with the dark brown. The wall color and the linen on the bed are beautiful, and the dark brown would enhance them whereas the white would not allow them to stand out.

• teacats
    10 years ago

Yes -- another vote for truly combining both closets (the window would be inside the new closet) -- and creating a useful walk-in closet with good storage shelves-and-racks -- and thereby eliminating the need for an additional dresser in the bedside area.

Yes -- a vote for two matching dark wood bedside cabinets with tall white bedside lamps.

• chispa
    10 years ago

Can you make a floor plan of the room showing dimensions and all closets? How are you going to turn the reach in closet (behind ironing board) into a walk in? Are these the only closets in the room?

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

This is a wonderful bedside lamp, the Pottery Barn Adair Bedside Lamp.

I have two in the antique white in one bedroom and two in the bronze in the master bedroom. They're great because both the height and the angle of the shade are adjustable for reading. I got all of mine from one seller on eBay. It also comes in nickel. There is an antique white one being bed on on eBay right now, and the current bid is $22.50! Dirt cheap!

• kswl2
    10 years ago

I would definitely make one walk in closet and get rid of the other for a sitting area, provided you have sufficient closet space after this is done. You would have room for a small sofa or loveseat and chair, or a couple of wonderful chairs and ottomans.

I enjoy our bedroom sitting area daily...it is what enables out bedroom to serve more purpose than sleeping or dressing. We have a sofa, club chair and cocktail table in the seating area, as well as a tilt top table between the two upholstered pieces. DH and I have some of our best conversations here, as the furniture is closer and more intimate. It is where our kids come to talk about things worrying them, or just somewhere I can close a door and have a truly private phone conversation. I would miss this in a master BR and highly recommend it.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I love the idea of combining both closets into one huge one. But I also like the bench at the end of the bed. So handy to be able to throw off blankets at night and not have them fall on the floor, and somewhere to sit while putting on shoes. I would (almost) kill for a huge closet.

• sundance510
    10 years ago

For me, the loss of a window would make me hesitate. However, if the closet areas must be expanded, I would go with connecting the two (and losing the window) over the walk-in idea. I like the balance and symmetry that the room currently has. I think the walk-in would appear to be intruding into the room. I'm not sure that a sitting area in the corner would balance it out. In addition, IMO all of that going on at that end of the room would make the whole room seem smaller, when it is actually a very generously sized room.

• sloedjinn
    10 years ago

I vote for dark wood tables and maybe colorful lamps. You've already got a lot light colored neutrals in the room between wall color and bed. The room needs a little contrast to my eyes.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

Here's hoping you will decide on the dark wooden colored furnishings for your bedside tables/commodes. I am hoping the weathered looking is going to the way of the spinning jenny. Besides you need something to ground your room as you have enough neutral light colors and the dark color of wood would ground it for you to prevent the feeling that it is about to "fly away."

This post was edited by patricia43 on Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 20:50

• htrinh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You all have convinced us to go with dark furniture so thank you!

Here is a floor plan with some measurements. I believe this is ruffly to scale. This is our current floorplan. The post to follow will show the proposed changes.

I love the natural light that is in the room right now so I really don't want to lose the window on that wall. And we don't really need more storage because this house has great storage, BUT I don't want to lose any either, which is why I would want to make the left closet a walkin if we remove the right one. There is also a small walkin closet (possibly close to the size the proposed new closet would be) that is accessible through the master bathroom.

• htrinh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the new floor plan.

Love the lamp suggestion by the way.

• chispa
    10 years ago

I think you need to make sure your floor plan is to scale and then add in a bed, also to scale, to see how much room you will have between the northeast closet corner and southwest bed corner. I don't think you will have enough room ...

• teacats
    10 years ago

You could combine the two closets and keep the window's light -- by positioning a glass closet door across from the window.

Then you could access the new walk-in closet (with loads of storage space on both sides and have a built-in dresser under the window space) and still have lots of light in the bedroom .....

• erinsean
    10 years ago

I would not like to give up the light if you combined the closets. I would either put a small dresser with drawer storage under the window or build a windowseat under the window. Years ago I had the same layout of the bedroom you have. Between the closets, I had a small table, painted orange with greenery on it. My colors were grey walls, orange accents (lamp shades, pillows) and a white bedspread and white sheers..

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

Love the bed. Is that from Crate and Barrel? (If so, I was eyeing that for years before my significant other voted for wood instead of upholstered.) I think you could go either dark stained furniture for some contrast or you could go with something light to keep the overall color scheme very neutral and light. It really depends on what you want the overall room to look like. I personally love dramatic dark wood with lighter paint and upholstery, but what have now also looks very neutral and soothing.

I am always for additional storage in a master bedroom. If I had a seating area to eliminate to expand my closet, I would. I would not eliminate storage or lose a window in order to have a seating area. Your proposed layout seems to take up quite a bit of floor space. Will there even be enough space to walk past the bed to access the proposed sitting area and closet door?

• htrinh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, I did have to fix the floor plan. These are to scale, ignore the previous post! I've also included the bed and bench since they are staying. (The bed is from Crate and Barrel - we love it so far!)

So this is the current floorplan

• htrinh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

These are proposed ideas. DH just came up with the second idea. I think that will keep the room feeling more open but then the question is how far to bring it into the bedroom and is the added space worth the change. Also, we were thinking the door could be on the angled wall but with the way I've drawn it I'm wondering if the door were put on the wall that is 41" (provided we extend it out that far) would it allow for more storage space?

• kswl2
    10 years ago

I like the angled wall closet best. I would not use the 41" wall for a door because it is right next to your window. Use the angled wall and put double doors that open out. For more interest you could use French doors with etched glass so light filters in the closet but no one can see into it.

• Happyladi
    10 years ago

What you are planning would be fine, but it doesn't sound like you need the bigger closet, you have plenty of storage and another closet.

• suero
    10 years ago

With the angled wall arrangement, you have less storage space than you do now: 110" with the angle vs 119" with the two closets. You don't really get any hanging space on the 41" wall.

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus