Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ohmarti

Help with "weird" room

OhMarti
10 years ago

Hi Everyone!
After years of lurking and learning for many years on garden web, I am excited to jump in and join the fun! DH and I just purchased a "someday" bed and breakfast - a 1980's mansion that it perched high on a hillside with panoramic views of the city. It is structurally sound but there is lots of updating to do. I don't really know what the architectural style is really. A couple of rooms have some 70 contemporary features (I think). There is not a single square room in the house - they are all angled and polygonal. The existing decor is an eclectic mix of contemporary and traditional, but I am wanting to go with an upscale classic decor.

This is a 10,000 sq ft home with the public areas upstairs (except for one bedroom and ensuite). Downstairs are the rest of the bedrooms (five bedrooms, each with ensuites) a living area (game room?) and a second kitchen/utility room. The living room also has a powder room.

This downstairs living area is my current dilemma. I would like it to be an area guests can use for gathering with family and watching a movie, perhaps playing a game. But the floor plan is difficult to work with. I am going to try to attach te floor plan from a furniture store. There is one approximately 8 ft angled wall (northeast) the north wall and the south wall both have a french door with two stationary french door sized windows. The north french door opens onto the driveway, the south onto a deck that is over the back yard (with the astounding city view). Next to the garage french door is a small wet bar (I guess) wit a small bar sink, and narrow cabinets which is enclosed in a closet. Then the east and west walls both have a wide opening for hallways - west to two bedrooms, powder room, back staircase and garage, east to 2nd large kitchen/utility (has a kitchen table in it for a quick snack), main staircase, and 3 more bedrooms including the master. We have a huge game room/bar upstairs with pool table, and game table, and two seating areas, so not sure if 2nd game area would be too much "game". There is also a main living room upstairs. We don't have a designated home theater per se and i thought we might could work one i to this room. i also wondered about a "business center" with a desk top computer, printer fax, etc. Oh, there is alsoa very deep irregular corner on the northeast corner. I will attach a drawing (if i can figure out how) with the room layout.

At the moment, I have a large entertainment center on the angled wall with a flat screen 60 inch tv (that doesn't fit the cabinet) I have two sets of two chair theater seating in two rows angled in front. No window treatments yet. I don't like anything i have in there but don't have any ideas either. I am open to any and everything! Help!

Here is a link to the room layout for windows: http://mathisbrothers.icovia.com/default.aspx?projGuid=f7e7582a-4265-4042-a8e4-026d1010b085

Thanks!

This post was edited by OhMarti on Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 12:43

Comments (11)

• OhMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The other side of the room

• OhMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The weird corner

This post was edited by OhMarti on Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 13:00

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Here's your floor plan

• OhMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Annie!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Can you do away with the "wet bar"? It seems to be more of a problem than an asset...especially if you have a bar elsewhere.

I would also be concerned about the TV being loud for the bedrooms that are nearby. Usually, with the Inns I've been in, the TV is in the basement or somewhere away from the sleeping spaces.

IAC, I would think about putting the TV on the wall by the funny notch and use the funny notch for A/V equipment, then angling the media chairs, if you want to keep them, toward the TV in that corner. I don't like them set up one behind the other like a theatre as that means someone has inferior seating and it's not conducive to conversation while watching TV...or if it was used for playing video games too. I actually would prefer sofa and maybe some recliners or club chairs to the media chairs. That would allow people to converse if they wish too and not feel obligated to turn on the TV....something I tend to not want to do when I'm in an Inn, getting away from it all. I think the last Inn we stayed at, we turned on the TV only to catch the weather in the a.m....otherwise, it was off.

The rest of the space could then be used for a games table...a lot of inns like to have a large jigsaw puzzle laid out for guests to play with...with good lighting above, and you would have room to put a desk area if you wish, maybe in front of the french doors. If you took out the sink, you may be able to change that closet space up into a "business center" with printer and fax.... Maybe add some bookcases for a reading room or a lending library....

• OhMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Annie,
    You have excellent ideas! You make an good point about the noise. Each room has its own wall mounted tv and there is a huge TV upstairs in the game room/bar. I also agree with you on the rows of seating. The problem i ran into is that when they are side by side they are straight and completely block the walkway to the halls. I could probably get wedge arms to give them curve, but like you, I am not opposed to "losing" the theater seating entirely.
    The next dilemma would be the arrangement of a sofa and chairs. A normal intimate seating group would go about midway into the hall openings. Then i would need to figure out how to furnish the other almost half-room. I wonder if a curved sofa would work well opposite a smaller entertainment center...

• crl_
    10 years ago

If every room will have its own tv, I'm not sure I would dedicate a public space to one. Are you envisioning that large groups may rent several rooms and want to watch movies and such together?

I guess my first impulse would be to make one room a "noisy" gathering space with games and such and a second space "quiet" with books and business office type accommodations.

• cawaps
    10 years ago

I'm with crl_--think activities like conversation, board games, jigsaw puzzles and reading. I've been to a number of places with common areas, and always enjoy the quiet vibe of the common areas.

• OhMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Crl and Cawaps, thank you for your input! I love the idea of a quiet area for computer work, games, reading, intimate conversation. If I can just get DH to give up his vision of a media room! (Maybe I should start a new thread on how to talk a man out of his media room! Hmmm...)

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

Thinking like a business person, what functions would be nice for a corporate workshop/meeting/retreat center?

Both ability to have large screen viewing (video or powerpoint) and also computer work/conference table.

I think that a projection view tv might be better to add the large group viewing capabilities. Then some "huddle up" areas with 3-4 upholstered chairs and a table would be easy to use in many ways.

Versatility would be a good thing, I think.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

For a corporate/meeting space, you wouldn't want those four recliner chairs. In fact, it seems wasteful to have a large room dedicated to four people watching TV if all rooms have TV. If groups are a target, then you may want to have something like a dedicated meeting/conference room that can be closed off. It looks like your "weird room" is open to a hallway, so I agree that a general lounge area for quiet activities would be best.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living