Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shhhh_gw

Need help with paint for dining room!

shhhh
10 years ago

I ned help to pick paint for the dining room. I am really stuck and here are a few options that I have. Please help me with your suggestions. I am open to other paint suggestions over an above the ones I have.

I am posting pictures taken at night and during the day as well.

The paint names starting from the top are as follows:

1. BM Tumeric
2. BM Morrel
3. BM truffle
4. BM Etruscan
5. BM Rattan

This room is part of an open concept living space and the color in the adjoining spaces is going to be BM Revere Pewter.

Dining Chairs and light fixture is going to go...

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions...

- Neha

Comments (41)

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I'm leaning towards 1, 4 and 5.....I think they will pair nicely with the Revere Pewter and provide contrast while the other two might be too close? I also like the contrast with the drapes....love those polka dots!!

• patricianat
    10 years ago

I like #1, #4 but with a nice rug carrying the color theme under the table and a brass, not silver or pewter light fixture.

• denali2007
    10 years ago

Here is a picture of my dining room. I painted the ceiling turmeric and the walls are Honeymoon. Guests always comment how warm and cozy my dining room feels. Honeymoon is a lovely color.

• denali2007
    10 years ago

This is a better view.

• erinsean
    10 years ago

1 and 4 seem to go with your drapes best.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

C2 Karma or BM Warmed Cognac

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Mon, Mar 17, 14 at 14:11

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

I will be the dissenting voice and vote for #3. I have a color similar to #1 and #4 in my LR and I HATE it. It makes me feel hot, like I am in a clay pot or something. (And I far prefer warm tones in general.) Also, accents can be very hard to work with, unless you like jewel tones. (I do think they work well with those colors.)

If #3 doesn't work, then I pick 5 for the sake of the drapes-- but I don't think it is an appetizing color, so what's the point in a dining room?

I like the color you currently have.

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

I now see you have Revere Pewter to deal with. I will say, I don't think #1 or #4 will work at all with that . . .can we see a sample of the Pewter with your drapes?

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

C2 Karma, a beautiful gold

• chispa
    10 years ago

Something to consider ... you might want to wait till the snow melts before you paint. The light will be very different once plants start to turn green. It was a very snowy winter, but unless you live way way north (Canada!) that is not the typical light for most of the year.

• shhhh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for your suggestions and comments...

I will get a sample of Revere Pewter and put it up next to these samples.

I was actually leaning towards #2 and #3. I think #1 is the perfect match but it is too mustardy for me, though it plays amazingly well with the gold in the curtains.

The chairs and the light fixture are definitely going to be replaced

Are there any other suggestions, I am open to suggestions even from a completely different color family.

I am really at the end of my rope trying to pick a color for this room. Thanks once again for helping me with this problem room...

- Neha

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

I'm sorry to throw this out there, but I have to ask:

How tied to the curtains are you?

If you love them and want them-- I totally get it-- just have to ask because it affects everything else. I think they are really pretty, also!

• shhhh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The curtains have to absolutely stay... I spent a fortune on them, just fell in love with the fabric and did not think about paint color or accent colors before making the commitment to buy them...

• Rory (Zone 6b)
    10 years ago

Number 1

• arkansas girl
    10 years ago

I'm going to suggest that #3 will be the safest color and will really not look like much once it's on the walls. My living room is that color and unless you look up at the ceiling to compare it to white, it doesn't even look like anything more than a creamy beige.

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

Shh, I think it's fine to fall in love without a grand plan! Sometimes I overthink things and end up getting things that "go" but I don't love what I have.

Two thoughts-- you might want to stick with something in the gray family. Before you paint the Revere Pewter, see how it will work with the curtains. .y.ou may want to pick it for the DR, too (or adjust the adjoining spaces accordingly). Esp. since this is all open, flow is extra important.

Or, here is what the color Tibbrix suggested looks like, along with a color I took from the curtains:

I like this combo.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

That looks really nice, Anele. I've seen the C2 Karma in person. It's a gorgeous color.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I like Anele's and Tibbrix suggestions; they are more dramatic --- says she who's contemplating all-white :)

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

nosoccermom, all white can be VERY dramatic!

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

Tibbrix, it looks to be lovely!

NSM, I agree with Tibbrix-- all white can be extremely dramatic! I really love it as a backdrop and would not hesitate to go that way if I had a sun-filled house without all my dark trim! All white reminds me of an art gallery!

• kitschykitch
    10 years ago

I like. 3

• busybee3
    10 years ago

i like #1 best with your drapes....

• patricianat
    10 years ago

Your draperies looked brown to me before. I see now that they are silvery colored. I just thought everyone was blind but me. LOL. I can see now with my glasses on that they are not brown. I like #3. I like the light fixture you have and I think by keeping your room light and neutral, #3, it will "feature" the drapes as the exciting element of the room.

• ppbenn
    10 years ago

Shhhh Those are such pretty curtains! Can you share where you got them?
    Of the colors you posted I like # 3 best but not really with the white tile. What are your plans for a rug?
    If you are keeping the whiter floors I'd do gray walls/ white trim.
    I LOVE the dark gray wall that anele posted and have that color in my new dining room so I would have those curtains (please where did you get them?!) with the gray and accent with golds and silvers.
    It's going to be beautiful any way you do it- the curtains are striking!

• shhhh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry for being AWOL but had so much going on and so many decisions to make about paint colors in the other rooms that I decided to leave this room for last.

ppbenn... the curtains are custom made in India.

I love the idea of gray in the dining room as per anele's suggestions... I love that color but DH is not sold. He just feels a dark gray is not a color for a dining room.

I have even tested BM Great Plains Gold, BM Alexandria Beige, BM Lenox Tan and BM Dry Sage but am not feeling any of those.

What do you guys think of BM Caliente? It co-ordinates with Brown and Gold Yellow as per BM's website?

Please help!!

Thanks,
    Neha

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

BM Caliente is accurately named! IMO, it's too hot for a dining room. It'd give me a headache. I think dining rooms , being congregation places, should be soothing and rich and luxurious (like your curtains!).

If you want to go a red route, how about a more soothing red, like BM Dinner Party

• shhhh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tibbrix... Thanks for your response. I like it. But the question is that will it go with my curtains? The co-ordinating colors don't show brown?

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Look at the floors, furniture and carpet in that room: lots of browns and golds. You can always buy a sample of the color (they can mix a pint) and do a swatch on the wall next to the curtain to be sure. In fact, I recommend doing so!
    Dinner Party with chocolate brown drapes:

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

"Dinner Party" has black undertones, so chocolate brown and gold will go with it beautifully.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Show your husband pictures of gray dining rooms. You have at least two walls with French doors, so already little wall space, and plenty of light, as well as a very light floor.

I also echo the comment to check Revere Pewter with your curtains.

{{!gwi}}

Also, do you know what kind of dining chairs and light fixture you like?

• Mayaa
    10 years ago

i would be nice if you select number 2 or number three, as in my opinion they will be best fitted....

• shhhh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tibbrix, what if I were to paint the wall next to the 2 walls with the curtains Dinner Party Red and the 2 walls with the curtains and a half wall separating the dining area from the kitchen a co-ordinating color like Abingdon Putty.

nosoccermom, love the gray dining room pics... I would pick a gray in a heartbeat but DH will not go for a neutral color in Master Bedroom and Dining/sunroom area... :-(

Mayaa... thanks for your suggestion.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

well, I'm not a fan of accent-color walls, so I wouldn't do it myself. I'd be more inclined to paint the entire dining area the Dinner Party red and paint the ceiling Abington Putty. Of course, in your house, you'd have to carry the Abington Putty into the kitchen, at least, soâ¦.

But if you were to do an accent wall color, I think painting the wall with the curtains on it the Dinner Party red and the other two walls the Abington Putty would make more sense and look better.

• busybee3
    10 years ago

i personally don't think i would pair gray with brown drapes that have accents of golds and rusty red, so i think your husband is on the right track there!
    out of the 1st samples you showed, i most liked the tumeric.
    i think a color that is the depth of etruscan, but a bit redder could look nice. ( dinner party doesn't look like the right red-looks too 'maroony' from the pics-- doesn't look 'warm' enough on my monitor from those pics shown). i also think a gold could look nice...

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

Busybee, I think the problem is that "we" (those of us playing at home!) can't really tell what the color the curtains are.

The gray that I sampled was taken directly from the curtains themselves, via fancy (ha, ha) Paint. So, at least on my monitor, they are showing up as gray and not brown.

Please show us your Revere Pewter with the curtains, when you have a chance!

I am leaning to a light color for your walls now that I see the room. I think it will keep the room feeling open and will accent your curtains more than the wall color. If your husband is open to gray but not a dark gray, you could do a light gray on the walls and then something dark as a trim, including painting the doors. Just a thought.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

The draperies looked brown to me at first but then on second shot, they look silver. Perhaps,if we had seen them in situ or were told what color they are, that would help with choosing paint.

• shhhh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

busybee3, the curtain has gold and chocolate brown polka dots.

anele, the problem is that the curtains are sheer tissue with a blackout chocolate brown lining in the back. The sheer tissue has a sheen and it looks different at all different times of the day and that's why I am absolutely sure the camera cannot capture it right. It is definitely not grey. Here are some more pictures:

The sheer curtain fabric without the blackout chocolate brown lining against a white background.

Gold Polka dots in the curtains

Chocolate brown polka dots in the curtains:

Here is another one of Revere Pewter with the curtain:

Hope this gives a better idea about the curtain fabric.

Thanks,
    Neha

• busybee3
    10 years ago

lol!!! well, you definitely don't want us helping you pick out paint since none of us are seeing your colors correctly!!

i never saw gray in your drapes, but i did see a rusty reddish color which i now see is brown!

i'm not crazy about the revere pewter with your drapes--definitely doesn't SEEM to do anything for them... what does it look like to you?? even tho RP is a warmer gray/greige, i would stick with an even warmer color and stay away from all grays... i would try golds, tho i don't like the bottom goldish color of your 1st row of samples- wrong shade...

• User
    10 years ago

Use the gray paint, then get gold leaf paint, thin it out and flick it from a brush on the gray. Not a lot, but enough to notice the shimmer.

• meghnjosh
    10 years ago

Take a look at BM Powell buff or BM standish white. If you want darker, maybe BM desert tan. I think those colors will go well with ur drapes..

• shhhh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

kswl, Dh will not have any more gray's...LOL...

Meghnjosh, thank you for your suggestions... I agree that tans/golds will go well with this curtain but After trying out a few samples I figured that I am not liking colors in those familes...

I have another thought... How would it look if I did the one whole wall BM classic brown and the other 2 walls which have curtains covering almost the entire wall and the one half wall separating the kitchen from this room in BM Hush. So the effect will be 3 dark walls at night when I want that cozy,dark dining room feeling. During the day when the curtains are open and only the one accent wall is brown, it will give that open feeling of a sun room/breakfast nook off the kitchen (which is also how we use the space as that is the only dining table in the house).

Please share yor thoughts...

Thanks!