Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alex9179_gw

Sconces or pendants in bathroom?

alex9179
10 years ago

Hi all!

We're finally getting close to actually re-doing our small master bath. It's 6.5 x 9, with a long single vanity on the short wall and toilet/shower opposite.

I've decided to save money on construction and not move anything, since we are on a slab. I've also decided to keep the single vanity so that we can maximize storage. We'd lose a lot of space inside the vanity in order to accommodate plumbing for two sinks with one waste pipe available.

So, here is my bathroom currently. Notice the stuff on the counters? I want it hidden, but super accessible.

This is the vanity configuration I like. We won't have the soffit and ours will be longer than this.

Traditional Bathroom by Huntington Interior Designers & Decorators AMI Designs

The sconces/pendants under consideration

The question is whether to go for the sconces attached to the mirror or on the side of the towers OR go for the pendants. I like all of the options.

Any clear favorite?

Comments (12)

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

The most flattering light is if you have sconces at about eye level. The set up in the picture looks like it would look crowded with sconces as well as towers. You say you have more room than in the picture - how much more?

• maddielee
    10 years ago

If you place the sconses on the sides of the towers, won't the doors hit them when you open them?

ML

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I just love sconces in bathrooms. And I prefer pendants on front stoops! Love the way the sconces in your pics reflect in the mirror.

• Jules
    10 years ago

I vote sconces on the mirror as long as there's adequate room.

• alex9179
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The last Houzz pic looks to be a 4 ft width, so that's close to what I'll be doing, except a cabinet on the left instead of a wall.

The sconces have been in my cart for the last few days, but I didn't want to dismiss the pendant option just 'cause.

Thanks everyone!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I think a pendant could actually be in your way, if you are leaning into the mirror say, to apply makeup.

Clever photo angle!

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

Well, we have our sconces on the mirror and I love it. However, I also love the pic of the ones on the towers. I think they work because of the matching chandelier in the middle. I love the idea of the towers. I hope you will share pics as it progresses. Will the doors of the towers be mirrored or painted?

• alex9179
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, mtnâ¦hahaha!

Daisy, I want to mirror them because of how small our bathroom is. I really have to take advantage of all angles and that little hand mirror to take care of grooming ;) I'll be putting an extendable magnifying mirror in the tower next to the window, too.

I haven't decided on the finish for the vanity area. I love the antiqued/weathered blonde oak. Light, but warm and rustic. White would work well, but DH is a giant mess. There's always a liniment stain on the walls and I think he waves the SoniCare like he just don't care, too.

• Lyban zone 4
    10 years ago

I like the sconces on the mirror.
    Nice choice of sconce.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I'd say sconces...ours are above our head and mounted through the mirror and it works well as it doubles the light nicely.

I know you didn't ask, but I'll mention that we have a tower on our counter between our sinks, we did add an outlet inside to plug in toothbrushes and such, but it is not very deep...only about 9". So keep that in mind when you design the size of the tower. You may want them deeper and sacrifice the surface area, or not.

• alex9179
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Annie, I've thought a lot about it. I'd rather have more counter space in front of them so I'm hoping to recess the cabs. I'm thinking 10-12 inches deep (12 if I want to store towels in them). Reach is an issue for me at 5'3" so I'll do a mock up.
    We'll also have an outlet in each. We have ONE outlet in that bathroom and it's annoying.

Thanks for the help!