Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16647

Avesmor ....question for you....

User
13 years ago

Hi! I love your room! I didn't want to hijack the tv stand thread you just posted on but couldn't help but notice your sofas. Can I ask if the material on them is microfiber? And if so, how do you like it?

The reason I ask is because we ordered a sectional from a store locally that was offered in two fabrics. The first is a worn leather looking one like yours, the other has a solid leather look in a more reddish toned fabric like in the picture below. Well we ordered ours in the solid material but it came in the worn leather instead. My husband likes the worn leather look but I'm on the fence. The store loaned me swatches for both and neither are not without issues. The worn leather looking fabric has a texture in parts of it that I'm not thrilled with but the solid fabric has problems with how it looks after someone sits on it, yup, butt prints. Is that really such a big deal? I didn't notice that originally at the store. grrrr. Anyways, has the material you chose been easy to accessorize around?

This is the sofa...I think other than being a sectional, it looks similar to yours. In one fabric it looks traditional, in another fabric, it's traditional/rustic.

Comments (15)

• avesmor
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi! Mine are indeed microfiber. Ours are very similar to what you've posted, but without the "hips." I'm also seeing a sheen to yours, that I don't think mine have. I think the microfiber was called "bomber jacket" or "tobacco" by the manufacturer. For some reason I have both names in my head.

If you'd like, I can take some pics when I get home and try to capture some of the fabric detail. Then you can see how close it is to what you have. I don't think there's any texturing... yet now that I say that, there might be -- I seem to remember being concerned about uneven wear... funny how our brains function so selectively. There are color variations, though - gold/brown/red, but they're subtle and all blend together.

As for how I like it -- I couldn't be happier, to be honest. If I had to buy replacements today, I'd go for the exact same fabric (but maybe different pieces). I didn't really intend for these couches to last too long when I bought them about 6 years ago. They were replacing a really bad furniture choice, and I knew we were moving in a handful of years and would likely want something different. (We've since moved, and I'm still using them!)

I did have some reservations -- I had never had microfiber furniture and I was worried about durability. I kept envisioning bald spots on the fabric in the heavier wear places, like we would wear the texture off. And it's funny you say butt print, because I had that same concern. I didn't want to have to "erase" my cheeks from the couch, or risk humiliation. :) I was also wondering how comfortable it would be: would it breathe? Would it be itchy? Would I feel like I was "sticking" to it? Microfiber can feel kinda weird sometimes.

The butt prints do happen, but after a week or two I stopped noticing/caring. Over time it has become less noticeable, too. Everything else was a non-issue because these things are bulletproof! If something gets on them, we usually just wipe with a damp rag. If it's something more noteworthy (the couches were with us through a newborn, who's now 2 1/2, so various baby body fluid things happened) we break out the little steam cleaner. Heck, I've been known to throw the whole cushion into the bathtub & rub it down with soap & rinse with the showerhead. And there's no evidence of any of this whatsoever. :)

They're very easy to decorate around. To me, they're neutral. I just try and remember they are dark, and they have a good bit of mass (that's why I have that spindly coffee table in there now, until I can find one I love). But I decorate 'dark' anyway, so... kind of a non-issue. :)

Oh, the one thing I will say is that the fabric creases over time and gets "wrinkles" in frequent wear spots (but I do too, and who am I to be a hypocrite?!). I've had some couches that do that, and some that don't. This one definitely does. I don't care, but I know it drives some of my friends crazy - they want botox couches, I guess. :)

Probably way TMI, but hope it helps!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Awesome thank you so much! Yes, of course I'd love to see pics if you have the time, you've been so helpful. I'll post some pics too so you can see the sectional in your fabric. This one is not only in the wrong fabric but was damaged as well so the store is going to either replace the entire sofa or the damaged portions whichever we want. Those are the same tones this sofa has but look at how the texture is:

It's funny how similar our considerations and thought processes are, I thought I was being silly thinking about butt prints especially with the amount of company we get, zilch...almost none. LOL There is a store here that used the same term, bomber jacket too with their sofa, I think those couches were recliner sofa's from Lazy Boy. Ours is Broyhill, like you, I'm expecting 8 or so years from this couch for the price. I usually want a change by then anyways.

This is the swatch of the other fabric and a pillow choice I'm considering. I think it would look good with the drapes.

See I wasn't kidding, this livingroom is a blank slate! Tables and all are going. On the wall to the right we have a new tv, but ours is only 55 inches. DH wanted it bigger and 55 inches was his compromise so I also relate to big tv syndrome...what is it with men and their TVs? LOL. A new stand is in our future as well as art and accessories too. It's a mess! Ok, well, I look forward to seeing the pics! And again, thank you!

• mamajean15
    13 years ago

Hi avesmore, I love the sofa. It looks so much like leather but I imagine it sooo much more comfortable. I tell you it does look bullet proof for my young kiddos. I dont know if the color is accurate from your camera but I like #2 choice as it has more of a reddish tone. Does it look more red in person. Do you think that you could give me any info and would I perhaps be able to get samples sent to me from Broyhill? I swear depending on the dimensions I may consider the same sectional. I know you werent really asking for my opinion but hope you dont mind my compliments on it. If I remember you did say it was a great price. any chance for dimensions? Here is the link for the one I have been considering. I love the looks of the sectional more but my husband thinks we are pushing the limits with the size and should just order the sofa and loveseat. We have so many kids to seat I just have to weigh the option of it floating in middle of room and taking most of room up or functionally being able to walk through corner of where sofa loveseat will meat as traffic pattern. Anyway, this is real 100% calf leather and at a reasonable price. it looks cozy but problem is I cant test out the sectional as its online only around here and can only see sofa/loveseat. I will say the only apprehension I have is 1#I have never loved leather or owned it but choosing it due to being able to wipe off anything from kids. 2# Its cold. At least your microfiber will be warm and cozy. You are fortunate to at least have this one in your home to truly see how it fits in the room and if you love it before your stuck with it. I fear them delivering a big sofa and me just going YIKES! I like the accent fabric you have for it. It should all flow very nicely with the new kitchen set and side table you purchased.

Here is a link that might be useful: sectional photo

• avesmor
    13 years ago

I came home to a sick DD so didn't get any pictures. I can get some tonight.

The fabric that's on your sectional (the upholstery, not the swatch) looks exactly like mine. As long as you are ok with the look of it, I think you will be very happy.

I'll grab a pic of the "wrinkles" you might expect to have develop in the first year or two. Are your back cushions attached to the couch, or do they come off?

Pretty curtain fabric!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Blondie, this sofa is super comfy. I like the reddish fabric too and yes, it seems pretty accurate from my camera. I can post different shots if you want so you can see how it changes in the lighting. I don't know if as the manufacturer, Broyhill would send samples, but the fabric number is 8073 and I've posted link to the site I first saw it on below. Pricing is similar to what we paid including the 420.00 for the armless piece. I liked this site because as you can see, they offer all the documentation available from Broyhill up front on their site including dimensions for all configurations. I never mind compliments or feedback, appreciate your opinions, thanks so much.

Please be careful buying from JCP, some people may swear by them but our experience was terrible. We purchased our last sectional from there and it lasted a whopping year before it looked worn. Two years in and the framing was falling apart. It's just my husband and I so wear on it was minimal.

This style, the Laramie by Broyhill also comes in a sofa loveseat, but I much prefer the sectional. Just do a search for "Laramie" on the site below and you'll see all the options. We actually bought the sofa/loveseat first in a similar model and hated it so much we returned it & paid a 15% restocking fee, so yes mistakes are expensive. Thanks for remembering the table & server set. Yes, I think it will tie in well, especially the more rustic fabric. Oh decisions decisions! LOL

Avesmore: Thanks so much for remembering! I'm sorry your little one is sick, of course that comes first! I sure hope she's feeling better today. Whenever, we have time before I have to return the swatches and make a decision. The cushions are attached. See the how the texture is in the first photo? That's what I'm having a hard time getting past.

Oh! That's not curtain fabric, it's the pillow fabric I'm considering. Since we added an armless piece to extend the sectional out to an L, it was considered special order and we get to choose whatever pillow fabric we wanted. The drapes are just a soft ivory/off white linen so I think this fabric will work well to tie the sofa & drapes together. I thought the wrinkles would help add to that worn leather look? No?

Here is a link that might be useful: Furniture Barrel

• mamajean15
    13 years ago

thank you again. baby on lap so will br brief. i am assuming it comes in the rustic brown faux leather or one with more of a cherry tone. im interested in gettingthe cherry swatch. website was hrd for me to navigate colors its avail in. i an enlarge photo but oddly when clicking on config and colors its dead and freezes up and des nothing. happened last week when i tried it to. i would love any more pics u have. what did u think of beckman style and photo? thanks

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I will be happy to post more photos for you, it's super over cast right now so lighting sucks but I can surely get some for you tomorrow when the suns up. The photo on the Furniture Barrel site is in that reddish colored material. There are lots of online sites that sell this sectional, just Google it.

I thought the style of the Beckman is pretty but like I said, coming from JCP, I would not trust it, especially if the manufacturer is Bauhaus. That's who the maker of our sofa was. They're a subsidiary of Lazy Boy. I would go to the furniture forum and ask about the leather it's in too. It's probably not got the quality you assume it has nor will it wear with kids the way you may need it to.

• avesmor
    13 years ago

I was moving furniture around in here, and practicing shapes with my daughter. Hence the weird placement of some things, and MagnaDoodle cameos.

Here are the "wrinkles" I was talking about:

The fabric:

• avesmor
    13 years ago

I really need to do something about my sea of neutral. :/

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh thank you thank you! Hope your kiddo is feeling better. Oh man, you are so right, I see some of those wrinkles on this sofa too, must be the nature of the material, which my salesman told me isn't fabric at all. Nope, it's plastic with a fabric lining. Go figure! LOL

Now are your back pillows attached too? Our last sofa didn't have the pillows attached and it was terrible mess. They were just filled will pillow batting and that flattened out within a year or two. It was awful, I won't go that route again.

Both the fabrics I'm looking at have that grainy texture like yours but I don't see the part that looks worn on your photo. You can see what I'm talking about on the first photo I posted. Must be the difference in manufacturers. I wish our fabric was more like yours and didn't have that.

Aves, fixing a sea of neutrals isn't hard to do...just buy some nice fun pillow covers for your sofa pillows. There are some great ones at a reasonable price on Etsy.com. I swear by them now cause their washable.

Thanks again for the pics, huge huge help. BTW, I picked up my sheers today and will be hanging drapes this weekend. Remember? You helped me on my other thread too which I really appreciated as well! :c)

• avesmor
    13 years ago

Yes - I remember that thread. And when you first commented on my photo in the tv stand thread, I thought it was going to be an "oh, I see" about the curtains. :)

It really helps me to take pictures of my rooms. How they look physically, and how they look mentally, are so different.

Our backs are attached completely. There's a bit of back cushion that's taller than the back of the sofa, but that's the only part that doesn't attach. I had a true pillowback sofa years ago and hated it. But I'm suspecting that the hard attaching is contributing to the wrinkles. The backs are "forced" to go in the same direction.

Another thing I won't do again? Buy a full length couch that has two cushions instead of 3. The couch above is like that (2) and I really regret it. I thought it would be the smart way to go since I tend to sit on my side with my legs pulled up, which takes more than 1 cushion. The cushions are already so flat, compared to the ones on the loveseat (but the loveseat is used more, and mostly by my husband who is hard in furniture).

Please continue to post pics as your room comes together. I see a lot of similarities in what we're doing, and I've love to follow your progress!

• mamajean15
    13 years ago

Here we go again Lukkirish,
    Well, I searched hi and low for a local furniture store within 45 min and NOONE carries or sells this Laramie sectional that I can try out. I just cannot buy it sight unseen. I really wish I knew where I could locate the thing in person. What was your local store called and is it a chain by chance. We are in PA. Thanks.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Blondie,

Of course I wouldn't buy it without trying it first either which is why I searched out a local (well if you can call 50 miles+ local) store who carried one on the floor.

The reason I keep trying to get you to call Broyhill Furniture directly is because they make the sofa under different names for different chains. Same sofa, same design, different name. Which is why the "match the other guy's price" program you see advertised is a hoax. Three stores in the area may carry the same product for different prices but since it has a different name and ID number, the stores don't have to honor the lower price. Anyways, by looking up PA zip codes for Philly, I did a random search on the Broyhill sites "where sold" and found the store below which sells the sofa / love seat that is the match for our sectional. As you can see, it's not called Laramie, and I'd be willing to bet they offer the sectional as well on a special order basis.

Now, you will probably be able to find it cheaper, I can almost guarantee it but you have to call Broyhill to find out where it's sold in your area. I say this because this store is like the bigger chain store where we had originally wanted to buy the sectional from. They too offered it as a special order for over 700.00 more than what we ended up paying. I doubt this store is close to you but it does show that either the sofa or sectional is most likely available in your area as well and the sofa sits just like the sectional does. It's a really comfy sofa and seems to be fairly well built for the price. I think it would be worth the effort for you to search it out.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

if you want me to help you find it, I can do that, but why not just email me, lukkiirish@gmail.com

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm loosing it today! Sorry bout that...

Here's the link, they call it "Canyon Ridge"

Here is a link that might be useful: Laramie Sofa/Sectional

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH