Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minerally

steel building exterior colors

minerally
10 years ago

i'm having a 40 x 60 steel building erected on property i own in a rural area of the midwest. trees surround the building site. I want to use darker colors in a two-toned color scheme for the exterior so as to prevent the building from standing out too much. i can use any two of the colors on the below-appearing chart for the walls, wainscot, roof and trim.

i have two problems: (1) i don't see colors very well and (2) the available colors are limited to those appearing on the chart.

i will have two large garage doors on the front of the building which i can get in different colors from the chart.

i had settled on combining the burnished slate with the charcoal, but then the color for the garage doors became problematic as i do not know which color(s) would complement slate/charcoal. I can't find big garage doors in charcoal or burnished slate. maybe i need to go in a different direction.

any assistance would be appreciated.

Comments (10)

• happy2b…gw
    10 years ago

Painting the garage doors charcoal may be an option for you. My husband and I painted our steel frame with fiberglass panels garage door charcoal to match the siding. It painted up easily and "disappears" and blends with the house.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I'd go with the burnished slate for the roof, brown for the body of the building ,and the charcoal for the doors.

Or, your burnished slate/roof; charcoal/body; Galvalume/doors.

I think using all gray, though, might give it an industrial look rather than letting it blend into the background.

Even better if you can get bronze and do the whole body and doors in bronze, roof in the burnished slate.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 12:28

• minerally
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thank you for these ideas.

are there other dark, two-color combinations to consider from the chart? does burgundy "go" with anything else on the chart?

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Take into consideration that because the building is metal, having a dark color will make it hot has hades in the summer.

We built a large one last summer and chose beige. It looks nice. It has a double garage door, man door, and windows on each side. It gets hot but not as hot as it would if the metal was dark.

For a small storage building, I think any color would be fine.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I don't like your first choice. To blend in more with natural surroundings, I'd suggest hunter and tan....burgundy will also go nicely with tan or desert.

• minerally
    Original Author
    10 years ago

does burgundy from the chart go with any other darker color on said chart? what else would hunter work with?

thanks

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

I love your first choice of charcoal and slate - very chic (but in a natural way). I think a dark brown with orange or gold tones would look great for the doors.

• done_again_2
    10 years ago

I've seen a pole barn near me with brown on the bottom section and burgundy or rustic on top. It looks very nice to me. Unfortunately I don't have a picture to share. I've mentioned the color combination to a family member who plans to build one in the future. There are online sites that let you select various colors for pole barns.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

The prettiest pole barn that I have ever seen is right down the road from our property. It doesn't fit your criteria of dark to blend in but it is so attractive that there is no need to blend, it looks lovely as a stand alone. It is polar white body with a dark charcoal grey roof. They added snow birds and a cupola and the doors are a carriage house style. I never, ever thought I would have pole barn envy but I am so drawn to that one. DH collects cars and he has two large garages done in tan body with hunter roof and trim. It's okay but can't compare to the lovely white one down the road.

• User
    9 years ago

I think the color scheme Holly Kay's DH used, green and tan, would be much better for your attempt to blend in than dark grays. A hunter green building with a tan roof, or vice versa, would probably be my choice. Burgundy will not blend in to the landscape except when the leaves change :-)

For your garage doors, you could have them painted in the main body color, or the roof color for some contrast.

This post was edited by kswl on Wed, Sep 3, 14 at 7:46