Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beekeeperswife_gw

Snazzin' up the Living Room

beekeeperswife
11 years ago

My dh has been doing some traveling lately. Every time he leaves, I do a project. It's working out well.

Remember the Living Room? Bright rug, oranges, turquoises, etc. I haven't finished it yet--no curtains or "real" furniture for in there. But, I painted the coffered ceiling BM Constellation, and then I had to do the fireplace because it looked so blah. Not a bad blah, just wasn't very exciting. So, I ended up using BM Wrought Iron, it matches the slate surround. I think it looks really nice and adds some weight to the room.

Before:

Ceiling After:

Fireplace:

(yes, I moved the chair over there for the photos, it just looks nice there!)

Comments (36)

• kellyeng
    11 years ago

What a beautiful space! I'm obsessed with orange and turquoise right now so your room is really talking to me.

• CLBlakey
    11 years ago

I love the fireplace color above it seems to ground things and shows off the painting.

• robo (z6a)
    11 years ago

I love it! This is the kind of stuff I could have if I didn't have destructive cats. .... might be worth it.

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    11 years ago

You have such a good eye bee. The close-up pic with the tulips is magazine worthy.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

Just beautiful!!!!

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Looks terrific!

• anitamo
    11 years ago

Perfect detail. It really showcases the FP.

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

Love it, and painting ceilings is one of my least favorite things to do, so congrats to you for all that intricate work.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

LOVE your room!

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, you know once you discover that green frog tape, it's hard to stop painting! I just look around and think, "what else can I tape off and paint?".

Thanks for the comments. You all are so kind with giving advice that I always think I must come here and share any project with you.

• caminnc
    11 years ago

Looks great bee!

• anele_gw
    11 years ago

I always make sure to click on your projects-- you never disappoint. Very fresh and sophisticated!

Thank you for sharing!

• gwlolo
    11 years ago

The fireplace really pops now! I could not see the bumpout before. Do you have a different picture of the coffered ceiling that shows the whole room? I cannot see the difference too much on my screen.

Bee - you have great flair for design. Are you going to blog :)

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Wonderful!

The fireplace looks great, and I am in awe of all that overhead work!

Not only do you have a good eye, but you are also a good editor. I love this room.

• Faux68
    11 years ago

Amazing! It is so fresh and beautiful.

I love the art you have on the fireplace. I am the only woman in our family and I am not sure what my guys would think of it. What does Mr. Beeskeeper think of your art??

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

I love your room. it looks so fresh and bright. I especially love your rug.

• Miz_M
    11 years ago

I love your room! It's so beautiful and happy. :)

• funkyart
    11 years ago

Love it.. I've saved a number of photos where the fireplace bump out was painted but yours is just stunning with the wrought iron. I also love the chair there-- it's the perfect shape and scale. But I guess it isn't staying?

It's such a bright and cheerful room-- but what really strikes me is that everything stands out on its own and yet plays a part in the overall look of the room. That's tricky in my experience.. well, I've never achieved that in my experience :)

• dianamo_1
    11 years ago

Outstandingly beautiful!

You have the magic touch!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Painting the fireplace area was genius!

Love the ceiling too. Heck, I always love everything you do. :)

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thank you thank you thank you.

GWlolo--I do have one, would love to share it but I'm afraid I'll get a warning.... you can email me if you like.

faux68, He likes it. I was actually going to swap it with a lighter piece of art I have but for some reason, even with the dark frame, I like it there.

funky--I'm thinking about keeping it there...but I'm just not sure.

• madeyna
    11 years ago

I love the colors .Its fun and refreshing.

• cooperbailey
    11 years ago

Very Snazzy! great job!

• susieq07
    11 years ago

You only have 2 chairs and a few pillows in your living room, for guest to sit on? just couious find that odd.

• lolauren
    11 years ago

Bee: looks gorgeous. You have a good eye; the fireplace looks more interesting now...

susie: she said in the original post that the room isn't finished.. missing curtains and furniture...

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

susie, yes, there are only 2 chairs and 3 cushions to sit on. It is a reading room/living room/sun room/meditation room. We don't do "formal living rooms", our family room acts more like a place to entertain. I'm hoping to get 4 chairs in there around a table--no couch.

My family room pictured below, shares the fireplace with the room pictured above

• Faux68
    11 years ago

Beekeeperswife, will you show more pictures of your family room? Our furniture is the same colors. I want to see more. You don't hire out, do you? I love your style. Do you get ID help or do you come up with your own? Just beautiful, seriously!

• donnawb
    11 years ago

Love, love, love the rug. I have been using those colors long because they were "in" to my family's dismay as they all hate orange.

• anele_gw
    11 years ago

Thanks for another pic, Bee. Stunning!!!!!!

• sis2two
    11 years ago

Such beautiful rooms! You are very talented.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

faux68, email me and I'll send you some more.

beekeeperswife at gmail dot com

thanks again everyone

• Valerie Noronha
    11 years ago

Simply lovely! I agree the FP bumpout looks stunning.

• busybee3
    11 years ago

snazzy indeed!!

i love how subtle the ceiling looks! and how stunning the fireplace looks!

• bebetokids
    11 years ago

Beautiful! When my DH goes out of town all I do is eat too much junk food and have my friends over to watch crappy reality TV marathons.

BTW bee would you like to come over next time DH is gone? :)

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

bebetokids, sure. I'll bring the green tape. How are your margarita making skills?

faux, I emailed you. Did you get it?

• mdrive
    11 years ago

that room is just gorgeous, B....the ceiling is so beautiful i'm not sure i could pry myself from the floor just to look at it!

and the colors are so inviting and fresh....i wish i had that kind of ability...i tend to find myself sticking with the 'tried and true' (read: BORING) colors because i worry about 'making mistakes'

that room is just perfect in all respects! thank you for posting the pics!

This post was edited by desert_solitaire on Fri, Mar 15, 13 at 14:06