Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovecookie

Need Help with Bedding... for 4-Poster Bed

ILoveCookie
10 years ago

I am totally at a loss about what to do with the bedding for my new Sheraton bed frame. Pictures attached... Any help would be highly appreciated. Thank you!

Here is the bed frame in reality. The box spring will sit on the slats, which in turn sit on the angle irons.

Here is the bed with mattress and box spring. I temporarily covered the side of the box spring with a red sheet. There is less than 1" gap between the box spring and the side rail (on each side), and I cannot easily pull anything thick through the gap.

Here is the bed with our temporary comforter on the top. My initial thought was to replace my comforter with a quilt (or blanket), and cover the entire bed with a huge custom-sized bedspread, and put the bedspread inside the side rails and footboard.

So I tried my initial idea by putting our existing throw inside the side rails. Then I realized it's not an easy task as I thought would be, due to the small gap between the box spring and the side rails. If husband and I have to make the bed this way every day, I don't know how long I can keep my sanity. I am not even sure if the side rails and footboard and angle irons are supposed to be exposed or covered up by bedding.

Here is the other solution I had in my mind after trying the above...just cover everything up with a giant bedspread, including side rails and footboard. The only problem with this approach is, the bedspread won't drape nicely where the posts are.

What do you think? I want to hear your ideas! Thank you very much!

This post was edited by ILoveCookie on Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 12:06

Comments (10)

• theclose
    10 years ago

My son has a similar bed and I do like your last picture but tuck in the bedding at the bottom of the bed so the sides falls squarely by the posts.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I have a four poster with slats but mine are attached to the side rail. I like the way yours is lowered.

What I am going to do is put Velcro Command strips inside the side rails and footboard and attach a bedskirt. You might be able to do that if you can get any fabric under the angle irons. Or you could attach the Velcro to the bottom of the rails since your footboard has the same rail.

• romy718
    10 years ago

I have a four poster too & I wouldn't want to see the metal angle irons. My bedskirt is 3 separate pieces of fabric attached with velcro on the inside of the horizontal wood side rail, with a pleat at each angle iron. My bed has 3 angle irons on each side & one along the footboard. My bedspread covers the top of the wood side rail with most of the rail exposed. Since you have so many angle irons, you could attach the velcro on the outside of the wood rail & buy a bedspread big enough to cover the velcro. This would mean all of your wood rail would be covered, either by bedspread or bedskirt. You'd need to play around to see how much bedskirt versus bedspread would look appropriate.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

I have the same bed. I bought a tailored bed skirt, placed it atop the box springs, laid the bed atop that and dressed it with a comforter that covered the bed/bedding.

I do have to take it off and wash it about 3-4 times per year but I think it looks very nice. I believe I got the bedskirts for all my beds at Cuddledown. These bedskirts are open at the four corners of the bed to make it easier to use and prevent puckering.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

what romy says, if I understand correctly. I'd attach a straight bed skirt/fabric with velcro on the underside or backside of the side rails, so that you can still see the wood. Then cover up the side of the mattress and top side of the box spring like pic. 3. or just with sheets.

• theclose
    10 years ago

I just realized that my solution won't help since the end of your bed is similar to the sides! Sorry about that. Sounds like the other posters have great ideas for you. Good luck!

• ILoveCookie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, lots of great ideas! Thank you so much.

I am going to try the bedskirt approach first with velcro. Hopefully I can get it inside the side rails and footboard; otherwise I will try it under the rails. :)

It's also very tempting for me to cover the entire box spring and the rails with a bedskirt with split corners. However, husband kind of wants to expose the side rails and footboard, so I am going to try the velcro approach first.

This post was edited by ILoveCookie on Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 8:01

• springroz
    10 years ago

I would remove all the rigging and buy a regular bed frame to sit inside the wooden frame. Then you can have any bedding you want!

Very pretty bed!

Nancy

• Marion Poynter
    6 years ago

bedspreads for 4 poster bed