Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irismead

help with curb appeal for this small home

irismead
10 years ago

Ok, I've posted this over on the landscaping and remodeling forums and have gotten some great suggestions. Now I'd like to hear what you guys have as suggestions to make this very simple home more appealing. I will be enlarging that tiny window and changing the posts and rails on the little porch. I need suggestions on the paint color for the house and any other ideas you may have.
Thanks for your ideas!

Comments (20)

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

What a darling house. I would keep the color light because if you go dark it will appear smaller. The current color looks nice but I would be tempted to go white and frame the windows out to add interest. I love the look of a classic white and black home, so white for the siding and a black roof with black window trim and door. A dark charcoal grey for trim and roof would also look great.

Landscaping will also make a huge difference. I would go for an English cottage look. Nothing pruned and formal looking just easy care and charming.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

Love the look of the one Nosoccermom added. It's a timeless look and so fresh looking.

• chicagoans
    10 years ago

I like the paint colors above. White would be pretty too. Landscaping as mentioned above would be great; enough to hide the foundation.

What is behind the triangle of siding above the porch? Is it a flat ceiling behind it or peaked like the porch roof? If flat, can it be removed and replaced with a peaked ceiling? I ask because I think it would draw attention to your front door to remove the triangle of siding and replace the two side lights with a great light centered above the porch. Or you could keep the sidelights (or replace with bigger ones) and use some timbers as shown with matching columns. Nothing too fancy, but even something simple would highlight your entrance.

This post was edited by chicagoans on Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 19:44

• awm03
    10 years ago

I like the little window. It looks cottage-y & adds interest to your small house. It would be charming with a flower box underneath it. If you put in a bigger window, then your house would be overwhelmed with "gaping holes" in the front facade.

Maybe consider saving your money to build a bump out on the right side of the front. You could build an entirely new entrance and probably add closet space too.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I love the grey and white Nosoccermom and think the red door looks smashing!

• User
    10 years ago

Agree with awm. I love the little window. Agree a flower box would be great, and/or barn-y shutters, i.e.: shed windows.

• merrygardener
    10 years ago

I would make a sweeping bed to the left of the door, perhaps connecting it with the bed on the left where the tree is, with perhaps, a path guiding the visitor toward the back yard. I would not have plants lined up like soldiers against the house. I would also add a curve to that front bed to soften things. I like the home!

• User
    10 years ago

A couple of skylights might nice too.

• irismead
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for the feedback. There's not much that I can do with the empty wall on the right..the kitchen is behind that wall. The ceiling above the porch is flat and I had thought of tearing that out and leave it open as was suggested. Shutters have been suggested, but there's not enough room between the porch and that large window for a shutter and I'm not sure of having just one at that window, although I have seen it done. Another idea that was suggested, was to build a 2nd level porch under the blank wall...but I'm not quite sure how to tie it all together. All of the suggestions are great..and I appreciate them so much. Thanks.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

What are the steps made of? I would widen them to extend to the end of porch. And landscaping suggested.

My house is about the same size as yours. It is all white with black shutters, original wood shake siding. White is great for touch up and still looks good after 7 years.

Have wanted to go with deep teal for the shutters and iron fence across property. Haven't gotten there.

The gray with white posted is one of my favorite houses down the street from me. Our little cottages can take a myriad of color combinations.

Link is image search for bungalow colors.

Here is a link that might be useful: Exterior bungalow colors

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I would want to re-landscape the front...maybe with some terracing in stone to raise the right side of the ground so it's more level across the front of the house. Some steps could be put into the retaining wall there so that there can be shorter steps to the front door. The retaining wall would also give more screening to where the cars are parked. Then I would replace the pre-cast concrete steps with something more antique...maybe bluestone.

Then I would add more "gingerbread" to the house with trim moldings...around the windows, make the hand rails and columns more of a feature. Paint them in a bright white so they stand out.

If you really want to spend some money, I would think about making the front porch even wider to incorporate the double window...I think it would go a long way toward helping the house look less imbalanced.

• NashvilleBuild42
    10 years ago

Cheap fixes: park bench in front on the left (where the hook plant hanger thing is). New plantings. New lights.

Don't be afraid of deeper colors. The darker gray shown above is very nice. I've also seen similar houses in green or blue look gorgeous. If you prefer lighter colors yellow or white would look nice.

Not so cheap: Extend the porch to the right so you don't notice the slope as much. This will allow you to build wider more gracious welcoming stairs and have area for a porch swing or 2 chairs and a small table. Then I may even place pavers or some sort of walkway to the street.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I really wouldn't do shutters as there isn't enough room but if you frame the windows out so they are outlined it will add interest. The small window is wonderful and cottagey. Tibs suggestion of a window box under it is a great one. The blank area to the right of the front door would look great with an old fashioned Rose of Sharon planted there. They will give you blooms into late summer. I think Hydrangeas would look awesome planted under your double window.

• irismead
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all. The steps are made of brick that was painted in the past. I was thinking of extending to the right with the porch but didn't know what to do with the roof. Would a pergola work- maybe extend it past the corner of the house.
    And open the gable over the porch. Not sure how to do the walkway and steps. Keep the ideas coming - I may be able to turn this plain house into something charming!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Iris, your home is going to look awesome. Just embrace the cottage feel. I could see the whole front lawn becoming an English garden! You have so much potential there.

• User
    10 years ago

Can't take credit for the window box idea. That was awm's, and I simply concurred.

I think a pergola to the side over some decking is a great idea. I also think getting ideas from Technicolor's link to arts & crafts bungalows is a very good idea.

• eibren
    10 years ago

I like Nashville-build's ideas, especially for the bench, and imo pale yellow (not an icky mustard yellow) would be a nice color for such a sweet little home.

IMO the simple, nonostentatious front entryway suits the size and style of the house, and is honest and unpretentious. The enormous light in the proposed px looks unbalanced to me (maybe only size that could be found to paste it in). From bitter experience I have learned one needs a ladder to replace a lightbulb in those high porch lights; one within easy reach is much more convenient.

The verticality of the grass or yucca in the front left bothers me, and I am wondering if that could be planted closer to the house, perhaps behind the front path, opening that front spot for a large mounding spirea or even an unpruned forsythia. A full sized oakleaf hydragea and then maybe a large rhododendron could line the rest of the left front yard in a soft curve, and a pretty flower border to the path to the front door full of cheerful daisylike flowers, etc would be a nice touch.

IMO a large, disease-free rosebush with good leaf retention would be a nice touch to the right of the front entryway; folks in the rose forum would be able to guide you to a good variety that would not have to be slathered in poison to make a good appearance. Some rugosas would be able to fit the bill. They have a nice fragrance but do not have the modern tea form some like.

• irismead
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions. What do you think of leaving the small window as is but placing a nice window box under it, framing out all the windows and widening the steps. Then extend the porch with a pergola to either under the large window, under the blank wall or to include both the areas. Then, of course remedy the landscape and also paint the house. Thanks again!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

It looks more like an "after", then a "before" to me. Nice!

I didn't read other's posts, but here's my take.

1. The paint looks in good condition and is pretty; i would not change it
    2. Choose a front door color that draws you eye; a wmsburg blue or a burgundy red.
    3. Add plantings; maybe rhododendrons, to mask the foundation on the right
    4. Play up the walkway and or front porch with slate or brick
    5 Add lighting

Good luck!