Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natal_gw

bathroom floor options other than tile?

natal
12 years ago

Hope to start a small bath renovation this year ... probably be done in stages. First step will be wallpaper removal and painting, followed by a new finish (maybe paint) on the vanity with a granite or quartz counter and white sink. All plumbing fixtures are currently gray. Later we'll get a new white tub and toilet. Need to replace garden window with casement or French casement. And somewhere in the middle will be vinyl floor redo. I originally wanted to use the same pinwheel tile (white w/black) that we have in the other bath, but I'm really leaning away from tile. Don't care for the hardness factor, but I'm stuck for a reliable replacement. Any suggestions?

Comments (24)

• macybaby
    12 years ago

I have duraceramic in my bathroom and really like it. I installed it with no grout lines. Give a tile look, but it's not hard or cold like real tile. Very easy to install.

• User
    12 years ago

Cork makes for a great flooring in a bathroom and kitchen. It's pretty cool looking too.

• natal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Macy, I read a thread about Duraceramic on the Flooring forum. Too many cons for me to feel comfortable.

Lukk, I thought about cork, but there's the staining and moisture issue.

• Jamie
    12 years ago

I picked up some samples of Forbo marmoleum yesterday.

I like the idea of a cushioned, seamless surface in the small bath I'm doing. (you can also get tiles).

But I'm not committed yet.

• User
    12 years ago

Hadn't heard about that, sorry. The other option we're considering for when we do our guest bathroom floor are the vinyl tiles that can be grouted. I saw them at Home Depot and loved the way they looked like real tile but didn't come with that hardness factor. The ones they carry I believe are Armstrong which sells the special grout as well, they're water resistant and easy to clean.

Here is a link that might be useful: Groutable vinyl tiles

• natal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Anyone familiar with Amtico? I remember seeing it about 6 years ago when we visited a local kitchen showroom. It looked like wood, but it's vinyl.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amtico

• natal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lukk, our bath is small and I'm afraid those tiles would be too big.

• tuesday_2008
    12 years ago

Natal I have hardwood in one bathroom and will be installing wood in my other bath soon.

• nosoccermom
    12 years ago

Rubber tiles? Link below. Or something like this, which is quite common in Europe, http://www.therubberflooringcompany.co.uk

Here is a link that might be useful: rubber tiles

• riosamba
    12 years ago

One of my family members had an Amtico floor in her last house. I'm not generally a fan of faux, but her floor was beautiful, nice to stand on, and easy to take care of. She also had marmoleum in baths. It was also lovely, comfortable, and functional, but she found that the dark color she chose in one of the baths really showed water spots.

• Sueb20
    12 years ago

How about slate tile? I think it's warmer looking than ceramic tile. We have slate tile with plum/gray tones in our little half bath.

• arcy_gw
    12 years ago

I thought we would go cork...but on the flooring site they are saying on the cork info it specifically says not for Kitchens/bathrooms. Water is an issue with them. I am with you natal so confused, and w/o options. I DO NOT want a hard surface!!

• yayagal
    12 years ago

I bought a vinyl from Lowe's that has a foam backing. It was a higher end brand and in the most beautiful muted cream pattern so subtle that it just looks warm and inviting. They installed it and it's fab. Much warmer on the feet than my old ceramic and it's texture is almost an anti skid. That was important to me as I'm getting older. On that note I also got a tub with the anti skid on the floor of it. No need for bath mats, yay!

• natal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sue, slate would present the same hardness issue. We're going to take a look at Amtico.

After talking to dh last night we're now thinking seriously about no tub. A walkin shower makes so much more sense for the way we live. When it comes time to sell we can give a tub allowance if that's a deal breaker. More than likely the absence of a master bath en suite would be the real issue, not the lack of a tub in the bath across the hall.

• sergeantcuff
    12 years ago

I LOVE the linoleum we had installed in our heavily used bath a few months ago. I like how it feels underfoot, the beautiful swirly colors, and its anti-static properties. While it doesn't smell like anything now, pre-install it had the nicest piney scent.

• User
    12 years ago

Natal, it's the reverse. Not having a tub in the master as long as there's one in the house is usually okay. But depending on the size of your house and if the buyers in your area are mostly families (with kids) having a tub only in the master suite is less preferred. That's because parents typically like to have that space to themselves. I understand making the space so it fits your lifestyle, but if resale is in the picture at all, please know that offering an allowance to put one back in could hurt you as well, there are a lot of buyers who just aren't prepared for that much of a renovation.

• natal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lukk, we have two baths. Currently the master has a tub. That's the one we're considering eliminating. Resale is not an issue. I can't see living my life for the next 20 years to appeal to a market that may or may not care one way or the other when we do get ready to sell.

• tuesday_2008
    12 years ago

Natal, I also am going to be removing a tub and installing just a shower in my bath. Currently have a tub/shower combo, will be tearing it out and replacing with a shower only. I very seldom use the tub. We are 60 and 65 and showers just makes more sense for us. DH already has a 48"shower in his bath; I am thinking about a 60" (same size as unit I will be removing). That should accomodate a small handicap shower chair should the need arise. You just never know.

Will let the next generation worry about a tub.

Didn't mean to imply that we are too old for tubs now :)...just thinking ahead.

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

yayagal - can you post a pic of you vinyl floor? I'm thinking of vinyl too for my bathrooms. I do remember seeing a good brand in a creamy color at one of our lowe's. When I looked at another lowe's, they didn't have it!

do you know the color name? brand? the one I saw was Armstrong.

I'd rather not have any breaks in flooring - like tile even if vinyl. no grout lines to worry about or allow water to seep thru.

• yayagal
    12 years ago

Natal here's the info on the flooring, it's all one piece, no lines in it and yummy. They don't show a pic of it online but this is all you need when you go to Lowes. This will get you started. Everyone who sees the bathroom first remarks on the floor and how they love it. It has a matte finish.
    IVC 13'2"W Cream/Beige/Almond Stone Finish Sheet Vinyl

• User
    12 years ago

I misunderstood you post, I thought it was the main bath but if it's the master, then sure it won't be an issue; that's what we did too.

• natal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lukk, I call it the master, but at one time it was the main bath. Now that we have a second bathroom, dh & I are the only ones you use the main one. If we make the switch it will mean two baths with showers only.

Tuesday, those are the same reasons we're considering the switch. We never use the tub. It's a pain to clean. Would be so nice to have a built-in seat (we did that in the other bath) ... and room, should the need ever arise, for a shower chair. My dad and then my mom had to use one for many years. It was a major hassle for them climbing into a tub.

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

My sister got beautiful slate-look vinyl tile for her bath from Lowe's. You cannot tell it is not stone other than the softness.

• sloyder
    12 years ago

IVC Vinyl Link

Here is a link that might be useful: vinyl flooring