Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pipdog_gw

An office in a closet transformation!

Pipdog
13 years ago

Inspired by some photos I saw on Houzz, I decided to transform a closet in our master bedroom into a more functional office space. The space was previously just a disorganized mess. But the space already had built in desk with drawers and was literally begging for a little love to make it look less like an explosion of paper and more like a functional office. I upgraded the shelving, painted a soft sky blue and added some decor.

Here's the boring before:

and after:

I still need a comfortable chair that will fit in the small space. Any recommendations?

Comments (14)

• forhgtv
    13 years ago

Assuming you won't be spending a lot of time at the desk, a ceramic garden stool might work.

Here is a link that might be useful: One Example

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks forhgtv, that's a really cute little stool. I will be sitting in the chair quite a bit because I am now working from home, so I need something with a back and fairly comfortable. Most of the office chairs I've seen are big bulky things that would overwhelm the space.

• forhgtv
    13 years ago

Here's a folding chair that could wouldn't fit in the office closet, but could fit under the bed when not in use. Good price, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clear folding chair

• franksmom_2010
    13 years ago

That looks really wonderful!

What about something like this?

Here is a link that might be useful: zebra chair

• forhgtv
    13 years ago

I've always loved this chair and it's pretty comfortable too. Unfortunately, I don't think it will fit in the space under your desk. Have you considered changing the hinges on the doors, so that you don't lose any space from the folded portion? I'll post a link to the way one lady did it in a new post. You might even like what she did with the shelving on the inside of the doors.

Here is a link that might be useful: White

• forhgtv
    13 years ago

Here's the link to the folding doors that I mentioned above. I think this is so clever and you could do the hinge change out even if you didn't want to build the storage part. BTW, I keep forgetting to tell you how good the transformation you've already accomplished looks. Kudos to you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Bifold Door Update

• chris11895
    13 years ago

Does the chair need to fit in the closet or do you have another spot in the room? For my desk I use an IKEA slipcovered dining chair and it's pretty comfy.

Here is a link that might be useful: HENRIKSDAL Chair

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thank you all for the ideas! forhgtv, that bi-fold project is really impressive. I hadn't thought of that, but it would definitely give me more room. The bi-folds do restrict the office space -- in fact, one of the drawers in my desk is partially blocked by the bi-fold, so this is a great solution.

I love that Zebra chair and the price is really good. I also love that modern white one but unfortunately it's more than my budget allows. And chris11895, we used to have those IKEA chairs in our old dining room but I'm afraid it might be too big for the space, since we already have a club chair in our bedroom.

I'm going to try HomeGoods this week and see if I can find something. Finding a small one that is comfortable is challenging!

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Nice job!

tina

• les917
    13 years ago

Nice job. It looks so great in there, do you really need to keep the doors on?

As an alternative to a chair, I don't know if you have ever tried one of these, but they are wonderfully comfortable, great for the back, and I think it would tuck under the desk nicely.

ergonomic kneeling stool

Of course, if you take the doors off, you could add a chair with no problem.

• juddgirl2
    13 years ago

Great job! The blue is such a soothing color and I'm sure it will be a much nicer experience working in your new space.

• kitchenwitch
    13 years ago

Looks great! The doors are definitely in the way, though, especially if you're going to actually do more than pay bills in that space. I would make swing doors like the link, or take them off completely. I can understand, though, that you would want to close off your work space at the end of the workday, so how about a curtain on a rod instead of doors?

• graywings123
    13 years ago

You could switch out the bi-fold door hardware with this full access hardware from Johnson Hardware:

Here is a link that might be useful: Full access bifold hardware

• nutmegxo
    13 years ago

I love it!!! Amazing transformation and I love the blue color with the white desk...beautiful! That link to the hinged door closet that forhgtv posted above is really interesting (I just might have to use that in my home somewhere :P).

Have you checked out Ballard? They have some really nice chair options that might look great with your office closet. Also, I agree with the suggestion above about removing the doors completely. Your transformed space looks so inviting and beautiful...why would you want to hide it behind closed doors?? But if you do need to close it off for praticial purposed a more creative door solution (like the one forghtv posted) might be the answer. I know for me, I would definitely find it frustrating if one of the drawers could not fully open because of the doors being in the way. In my previous home, I removed my daughter's sliding closet doors to help open up her small room. I used a white shower curtain rod and hung a really pretty curtain panel that coordinated with her bedding. I had those metal holdbacks on the walls to tuck the curtain behind so it was easy to access the closet.