Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teeda

Spring Fever! Would this bench work on my front porch?

teeda
10 years ago

We just finished up a pretty big remodel of our new to us late 60s brick ranch last fall. We extended the front covered entry way, put in blue stone, changed the front doors and added posts. We wanted to keep the beautiful leaded glass front window. Now that the work is done I've decided I'd like to play down the prominence of that window somewhat and thought adding a bench in front of it would be nice. I've been looking around and found this one on Home Decorators that I really love. The bench is 71" wide would fit between the boxwoods (I just placed them there to show bench placement). The bench would be about 5" taller than the bottom of the window, and is 23" deep. The entry door is mahogany stained dark walnut, and the garage doors and shutters are BM gargoyle. The lead caming on the windows is a light gray, which I though would look nice with the gray bench. Opinions? There is a sale that ends tomorrow, so I'd like to order soon. Thanks!

Comments (16)

• teacats
    10 years ago

Gorgeous bench! Love it! :)

• teeda
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love it too! Wondering if it will look too crowded/forced?

• maddielee
    10 years ago

Pretty bench. Pretty window. Have you measured to make sure there is enough floor space in front of the bench if someone is sitting on the bench? From your picture it looks like the sitters might have their feet right on the edge of the porch.

• stolenidentity
    10 years ago

No, that bench is cool but it does not belong in front of the window. The pointed pines need to move away from the window so they are not in any way blocking it IMO. I know you only asked about the bench WMA89, but here is what I would do - Put the bench on one of the entry walls, Put the chairs on the other side.

• Arapaho-Rd
    10 years ago

I think the addition of the bench might add to the prominence of the window, not take away from it. Have you thought of changing the trim color from white to something more muted?

It's a beautiful leaded window and I can see why you chose to keep it! Beautiful entry as well.

This post was edited by arapaho on Sun, Mar 16, 14 at 12:40

• lizbeth-gardener
    10 years ago

I also think it's the white trim around the window that shouts. I would paint the window trim a gray or brown taken from colors in the brick.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

No I wouldn't put it there, they would only call attention to the window which, in my opinion, would look so good with the vertical wood pieces painted a similar tone to the leaded section, leave the rest of it white. I love what you've done to the front of the house, the entrance is so appealing.

• teeda
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, thanks everyone. That's what I was afraid of. I like the suggestion of changing out the window trim paint. The bench would be too big for the door entry area, but I have seen some smaller ones I like.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

It's hard to tell what to do without a picture of the entire front of the house. My first thought was some pretty pots with flowers and greens. The window is pretty and should stand out...painting the trim dark may make it look like a black hole...

• peony4
    10 years ago

Great renovation and your stone is lovely! Agree with the other posters that painting the window trim would visually move it to the background a bit.

Once that snow bank melts, I'd plant a row of sunny annuals or perennials in front of the window. Something that blooms to a height that you could enjoy them from the window when inside, too.

• teeda
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I appreciate all the suggestions! I wish I could get a good picture of the full front of the house--but it's too long to fit in the frame and if I step back there are trees blocking the view.

I'm wondering if my first try should be to paint the window frame BM Gargoyle--the color of the garage doors and the custom shutters we're awaiting delivery on. The shutters will have black hinges and shutter dogs
    (we have two double hung windows a small leaded window on the right front of the house). I've attached the link to the color. It goes very nicely with the brick (which we had originally planned to paint--but changed out minds).

Peony, you make a good point about the plantings. We are getting a new landscape plan for the front of the house. I think that will help soften and balance things out. I guess I'm just impatient to dress up the front!

Thanks again, everyone.

Here is a link that might be useful: BM Gargoyle

• Arapaho-Rd
    10 years ago

Yes, I meant to say in my post that BM Gargoyle would look very nice as the trim for the lead glass window.

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    10 years ago

Wow beautiful window and entrance doors! I agree that if the white window trim was painted Gargoyle it would be lovely. And I hear you on the spring fever. I'm itching to clean up the yard and do a general spring fix up and outdoor decorating. Soon!

• Laurie
    10 years ago

You have a lovely window and front entry! The leaded glass, brick,
    wood, & stone are all beautiful. Instead of a bench, I agree with others who suggested greenery, flowers, etc (keeping the plants low in the area in front of the windows). If it was mine, I wouldn't let bushes or shrubs ever cover up any of that special leaded glass.

On a separate note, I think you are the person who got me hooked on BM Cream Fleece. A while back I saw that color posted inside your house (I think it was your posting) & I bookmarked it for future reference.
    I am leaning towards that color for my bedroom.

• petepie
    10 years ago

Ha! I like cream fleece too. I have it with Lancaster White cabinets in my kitchen. Nice cream without too much pink or green

• teeda
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Laurie. Yes, we did use cream fleece in our remodel. I love it too!