Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shhhh_gw

Blue... Blue... Blue... Help!

shhhh
10 years ago

I need your suggestions for which color works best for my master bedroom space. The bedding is going to go and so are the curtains. The trim is going to be BM Simply White

BM Nimbus gray
BM Santorini Blue
BM Palladian Blue

From Left to Right... Palladian Blue, Santorini Blue, Nimbus Gray

From Left to Right... Nimbus Gray, Santorini Blue, Palladian Blue

Is Palladian Blue very minty green? It looks different at all times. Please give me your suggestions. The painters are here and today is the last day for making the choice.

Thank you,
Neha

Comments (67)

• judiegal6
    10 years ago

Here is my Yarmouth Blue bedroom. Love it and will use it again.

• nanny2a
    10 years ago

Oh, I guess I need to get out my paintbrush again. Yarmouth Blue is such a dreamy color - my bedroom walls need refreshing and I think thatâÂÂs the right blue for me!

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

My bedroom in Quiet Moments

• Karenseb
    10 years ago

I really like the Palladian blue and don't find it minty green at all. There is some green in it but I mostly see it as blue. The Yarmouth also looks nice in pics.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I sampled all the above I mentioned and ended up with Yarmouth Blue. It's definitely blue, but that's what I was looking for. However, I'd pick the bedding first.

On another note: I've been putting up shades on all my fan lights. (Don't ask why I have them in every single bedroom. It's a guy thing.)

Directions below. Just make sure to get a shade with three spider "metal bars" for a fan with three lights (top left), 4 bars for fan with 4 lights, so each light has its own separate section.
    {{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: adding drum shade to fan light

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Yarmouth blue is a really nice color!

• stealthecrumbs
    10 years ago

My kitchen is Palladian Blue and I absolutely adore the color. So much in fact that I painted our guest room Palladian Blue. The guest room gets less light and is smaller than the kitchen and the Palladian Blue felt muddy and dark. So I re-painted the room Healing Aloe, which someone suggested above. It is absolutely the the calmest and most serene color. Perfect for a bedroom. I think a lot depends on your light though. I could imagine it getting washed out in bright light. Both are great colors and worth considering. But definitely choose your bedding first.

• KevinMP
    10 years ago

Why doesn't anyone ever recommend BM Mount Saint Anne? I can't be the only one who's used it and really likes it, can I?

This post was edited by KevinMP on Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 23:05

• Baroo2u
    10 years ago

Kevin, I love the look of Mont Ste Anne on the chip! Pleeese post a photo so O can see it in real life!

• kimberlyrkb
    10 years ago

I have Yarmouth Blue in a spare room I use for sewing and reading. To me it reads very baby blue and I plan to repaint.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Mount Saint Anne is a gorgeous color!

• shhhh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The jury is divided... I love palladian blue and DH loves Nimbus and Yarmouth.

Does Yarmouth have any gray mixed in?

Love Mt. Saint Anne and also Woodlawn Blue

What would be co-ordinating colors for Master Bathroom if we picked either Palladian or the other 2?

Thank you all for all your suggestions. It really is a life-saver to have some people with whom I can ask for suggestions and even have discussions about decor.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Palladian looks so Easter egg-y or bridal to me. But, it's a very popular color.

Yes, Yarmouth blue has a lot of gray in it. All of the "Cape Cod" blues do. It's actually the gray that gives the blues and greens that sea feeling (fortunately, Quiet Moments has a lot of gray in it so I do feel like I'm surrounded by the ocean, esp. when it's darker in the room).

I have a bedroom done in Nantucket Fog, also very gray.

Nantucket Fog:

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

My second BR in Nantucket Fog, more daylight:

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Then there's BM Van Courtland Blue, which is SUCH a gorgeous blue, IMO.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

If you haven't done so, you can go to the BM web site, search for your color and see what they suggest as coordinating colors.

For what's it worth: On my monitor the colors on the BM web site look nothing like in real life.

• geogirl1
    10 years ago

Our bedroom is Santorini blue on two walls and glass slipper on two walls. LOVE IT. Go with Santorini blue. You will not be disappointed.

• FamCook
    10 years ago

Want to follow this thread as I'm looking for a blue or blue/gray for my bedroom.

Thanks!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Well, what effect do you want? Can you describe it?

Do you want a seaside feel, and sky feel, or a colonial feel, for example?

I think the Palladian Blue is quite different from the other two you have tried. I have a Palladian blue wash on the beadboard backing of my glass cabinets. It is on the aqua side, but IMHO it is greyed out a bit.

The other colors you show seem to have little or no green.

• shhhh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tibbrix, Love the nantucket fog... looks so different with different lights...

nosoccermom, All the colors look different on the monitor as compared to the paint chips and different on foam board samples. Have spent a lot of money on smaples already (there are so many options...)

FamCook... welcome to the blues. Let me know what color you finally decide on.

mtnrdredux... am not looking for something aqua-ish but something blue (not baby/nursery/bridal blue), definitely something like the sky with gray mixed in. DH wants dramatic/dark and I want calm/relaxing... So we need to meet halfway on the master bedroom. (He actually wants to paint Van Deusen Blue, I love the color but am not sure if it will be too drak during the day especially with not a lot of light in the bed/sleeping area of the room.)

Since I've taken decisions on most colors in the house (neutrals... Revere Pewter, Silver Fox, Manchester Tan, Baja Dunes, Everlasting) we need to agree on this one

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Shhhh,..defiintely take a look at the van courtland blue. It is probably that perfect medium between what you and your DH want, and it is truly a gorgeous blue. I did my children's tv/game room in it and loved it so much that I repainted my kitchen in it from having originally painted it Nantucket Fog. I could look at Van Courtland Blue all day long.

• KevinMP
    10 years ago

Here's BM Mount Saint Anne is my kitchen and in main bathroom (paired with BM White Dove in bathroom and a custom creamy off white in the kitchen):

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

That Mount Saint Anne is so gorgeous. I want to repaint my bedroom using it!

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I actually love the Van Deusen blue, but I understand if you want something that isn't so dark. We actually painted our MBR a similar (and similarly beautiful) color - Valspar Iron Frost.

• denali2007
    10 years ago

I have Palladian Blue in my bedroom and it is my all time favorite color. It is very peaceful and calming. Try Gossamer blue also, I have it in a half bath.

• shhhh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

KevinMP... Gorgeous pictures of your house. Beautiful!!

sjhockeyfan.. Is it possible to post pics of your dark color Master Bedroom.

denali_2007, thank you for your suggestions...

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

shhh, I don't have any decent pix on this computer, but I'll try to take a couple tonight. The room is very unusual (step down 4 steps, then it's long and narrow with huge windows at one end) and it's hard to get a decent picture, but I'll give it a shot.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I am going to confine myself to the colors you have sampled, because other people's rooms and camera and lighting can be so different.

I'd vote for the middle one, Santorini. And then I'd book a trip there too to make sure they got it right! : )

• shhhh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

sjhockeyfan, thanks a lot...

mtnrdredux, I think I really need that trip to Santorini after this stressful week of making paint color choices :-) Thank you for your suggestion.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

After reading what you wrote, I have to say that I probably would ditch all the lighter blues and go for the Van Duesen Blue or maybe the Van Courtland as a compromise. BM Normandy?

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I'm going to repaint my bedroom in the fall in the Mount St. Anne. Decision made! I completely smitten with that color now!

Shhhâ¦Here is one of the two rooms I have with the Van Courtland Blue:

• WendyB 5A/MA
    10 years ago

I went through similar choices last year and ended up with BM Woodlawn Blue and I love it! I was going for a coastal theme. It is just a microscopic hint of aqua, but this website pic looks too green.

This is an old picture right after painting. I don't have any pics of it decorated. I brought in "sand" colors in drapes to coordinate. I do find that blue is a difficult color to photograph, but I think this one is realistic.

I had once considered santorini blue for a bathroom and started it but then it looked like a baby nursery and I painted over it.

The greyed out colors walk a thin line between serene and depressing. Woodlawn Blue is serene and happy.

Many gorgeous blue pictures in this thread. None bad.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Shhh, here are some pix of my dark blue bedroom. The pictures were taken at 6:15 pm with the shades on the 10' tall windows half-way up. The windows face southwest.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

And another.

• shhhh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think we've deicided to go with Yarmouth Blue. Hopefully it's the right decision...We'll see... If not, it's just paint after all.

Please give me some suggestions of some blue for the master bathroom that opens to the Master bedroom.

judiegal, beautiful bedroom pic...what color did you paint your bathroom?

Thanks!

• shhhh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

nosoccermom, What color did you pick for the bathroom?

sjhockeyfan, thank you for the pictures love the color...

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Congrats on making a decision!

I'd stay away from blue in the bathroom. again, blues are very, very hard to match. Why not go to the Benjamin moore site and type in Yarmouth Blue to see what colors they suggest go with it? Any on the strips will work as well. Do you have windows in the bathroom or no? That will make a difference in making a decision.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Can you post pics of the bathroom?

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Oh, I see the big window in your bathroom. Not a lot of wall area, seems like.

Definitely do the bathroom in BM Midsummer Night. I know you're going to blanch at the idea, but trust me on this one (You're going with my Yarmouth Blue suggestion, right? Lol). White Towels and a pretty fake orchid in a nice magenta against the Midsummer Night? STUNNING!!!!!

• shhhh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tibbrix, the bathroom pic is stunning. I love your idea but I think that it will not work for my bathroom because I have medium wood cabinets. If they were white, it would look great but I'm not sure about this color in my bathroom. I have two big windows in the bathroom so we get a lot of light in the evening as they are west and northwest facing.

Any color other than blue would also work in the bathroom?

Thanks!

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

shhhh..I'm telling you, that midsummer night will work, and you will beyond love it. It will carry the chocolate brown/sea-like Yarmouth Blue combo into the bathroom. It is not a color to use on large wall area, but it IS THE Color to use on small wall areas. It has an effect of making windows and the views like paintings, gives a bathroom a rich warmth, luxurious surround in which to, say, bathe with candlesâ¦.

My broker asked me to take a look at her kitchen as they wanted to paint the end third of it. She had in mind a neutral taupe or beige. I went over to take a look, and immediately saw a chocolate brown. Two thirds of their kitchen is entirely made up of - yes - medium brown cabinetry and the appliances virtually NO wall area But the back third is made up of large windows and a French door to the patior, overlooking a golf course, and then winds around to a rear door and entryway. They have a dining table in the window at the end of the kitchen, with a wrought iron chandelier.

Well, they went for it (she and I, on our own and purely by coincidence, both picked the Midsummer Night. We couldn't believe it!). It is absolutely, positively stunning. They love it. It totally enriches everything - their paintings, the chandelier, the view, the window trimâ¦and it contemporized the look of their cabinetry., which they were very happy about. I had their friends calling me to ask if I'd come to their houses after they saw the chocolate brown in their kitchen.

I don't mean to sound so pushy. It's just that I know it looks like a bold color, i.e.: risky color, but my point is, it isn't.

I strongly suggest getting a sample and painting one wall, i.e.: around the window, to get a feel for it. And again, crisp white towels and a splash of color with a nice fake orchid or something similarâ¦you will love it.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Btw, if I may be so bold as to suggest white lamp shades and white, sheer drapes for the bedroom windows..against the Yarmouth Blue, they'll be so beautiful.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Chocolate brown with medium wood cabinetry.

Also keep in mind that you'll have the white tub, sink, toilet, which will also enhance the richness of the chocolate brown.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Actually, I used Yarmouth Blue in my dining room, so no complementary bathroom. According to BM web site, they suggest Blue Dusk as a complementary color.

I like it and it may make your DH happy. (Also like Tibbrix's suggestion)

[Modern Paints Stains And Glazes[(https://www.houzz.com/products/modern-paint-prbr1-br~t_505~s_2105) by Brooklyn Furniture & Accessories West Elm

• shhhh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tibbrix, This is the color of the cabinets in the bathroom

The the tile in the bathroom is the builer's beige tile...

Here are some pictures. Not the best because they are already working in that area and have put dropcloths there so can't close the doors to get the best pics.

Master bathroom view from the bedroom:

MasterBedroom view of half vanity:

MasterBathroom Windows:

Tile:

nosoccermom, Tibbrix : My bathroom has a small enclosed toilet area... really teeny tiny would'nt both the colors that you have suggested midsummer night and Dusky Blue be too dark for that space?

What do you guys think after seeing the pics?

Thanks!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Hm, look at these and imagine, white and blue accessories.

But if that looks too drastic, how about colors on the same strip, i.e. BM Iceberg (very light) or Jamestown Blue ( a bit darker than Yarmouth)

Jamestown Blue

• meghnjosh
    10 years ago

Neha, pls chk this link. Has some nice blue paint options. We recently painted a room with BM stratton blue. It's a beautiful color but def a green blue. DS's room is painted BM soft chinchilla. This one is a blue grey but might be too baby blue for ur needs...

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue paint

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Look at the pic nosoccermom put up with the sink with the sconces. That is the "magic" of chocolate brown, IMO: "too dark" is irrelevant because the color itself is soooooo gorgeous. Those chocolate bathrooms look sophisticated and rich and luxurious, like something you'd see in a high-end hotel, and that is what chocolate brown does. It really brings out the contrasting colors, i.e.: pics, white towels, chrome hardwareâ¦whatever.

Here is a pic of a kitchen with chocolate brown walls and cherry cabinets, similar to the color of your cabinets. The brown actually makes the cabinets look richer!

Put up a beautiful mirror, some pics with blues in them, the magenta fake orchidâ¦omgâ¦your friends will be jealous and painting their bathrooms Midsummer Night brown! And the Midsummer Night is darker than the brown in this pic, somewhere between the brown you see and the black of the seats and counters.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Good luck to your painter painting that corner where the windows meet. Good grief. Looks tough.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

It is regrettable that your fixtures are tan and not white, but they are what they are. Skip the white towels, therefore, and go for off white. Again, look at that photo nosoccermom put up. hand towels and lighting looks off-white. With your hardware and tan fixtures, you'll want to stay warm with the decor rather than white.