Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamie1s

Clear roller shades for screen porch?

Jamie
10 years ago

We are just beginning to look into these. We would like to be able to use the porch a little longer each year, and it would be nice to keep the snow from accumulating out there.

Do you have experience with outdoor roller shades?
Suggestions for me?

At first glance, a 4 foot wide shade appears to cost 5 times as much if it is motorized than if it is operated manually.

Comments (15)

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    10 years ago

Where did you find clear shades? I too have a screen porch and would be interested in them.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I imagine I am stupid, but what is the purpose of clear shades on a screened porch? I did read what you wrote, but I still don't quite understand how shades will help. I think I would do what we had growing up-a screened porch with storm windows that replaced the floor-to-ceiling screens when it got cold. I don't see people doing that any more, but it certainly made for a lovely space except in the dead of winter (it was a true porch with no heating).

This post was edited by cyn427 on Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 20:08

• Jamie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gracie, my husband saw the shades on a house in a neighboring town. He didn't take a picture, He figured they came from an awning company.

I did a quick google and found the link below. That's all I know. I'm far from knowing whether I want them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clear vinyl outdoor shades

• mom2sethc
    10 years ago

Hello,

I'm not sure what exactly you are referring to, but we just bought a large solar roller shade for our back porch. It's purpose is to block the west facing sun so that we can sit out on the porch throughout the day. It can be motorized, but ours is not, it is a manual crank. Ours is about 10 feet wide. We got ours from Sunsetter Awnings. We had bought one of their awnings for a previous home. We love our shade!

• Jamie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Meany, thank you for the great link. She makes it look doable, and I have her same white heart-detail would-be-wrought-iron garden chairs. I don't have anyone to help me with the taping part -- DH and I fight when simply trying to place a rug on a rug pad! I live in northern Indiana.

I need full-length ones, and it would be difficult to find a large, flat, clean place to cut such large pieces, and source some material that's 8 feet or so on the shorter side.

Nonetheless, with help with taping, I think it could be done, even by me.

I was originally looking for roller shades so I could leave them up all year round, but these are a good option, too.

Here is the list of links I assembled to give visuals, prices, and ideas to DH. I've added your youtube link to his list as well.

http://www.enclosureguy.com/residential/climate-control-patio-enclosures.html

http://www.bestmotorizedshades.com/clear-vinyl-plastic-screens/

http://www.porchkeeper.com/custom.aspx?id=2

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_nkw=clear+outdoor+blinds

http://www.seesawusa.com/products/457

http://icovaflex.co.nz/outdoor-blinds

(new zealand dollar is 85 cents)

This post was edited by jamies on Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 12:43

• buzyjo
    10 years ago

Here is the kind I would ideally love to have! All four sides of ours is screened which would make it more expensive than a three sided porch.
    I think rolling them down to keep out the pollen in the spring would make these perfect since we live near a wooded area.

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern patio enclosure video

• Jamie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That looks so good. My ceiling is not high; if it's that easy to roll I don't need a motor.

Do you know how these look over time? Do they yellow, crack, crease, or ?

I was hoping someone with experience could tell us.

• samillesheriff
    9 years ago

Hi cyn427 (zone 7), The reason we are looking for these clears shades for our screened porch is to try to keep the pollen out. It collects deeply on everything on the porch over two/three months period. And it is very difficult to remove. I was think ing that if we had these that we could stand outside with the hose and wash the pollen off the curtains. Does anyone have a better idea?

• happy2b…gw
    9 years ago

DH made vinyl inserts similar to screens that screw into the exterior openings of our screened in porch. The inserts are constructed from clear vinyl that I purchased from ebay, aluminum frames, and spline. The vinyl inserts are up from November to end of May. We are very happy with them. I do not have to cover the furniture. The porch stays clean and little to no pollen enters. Except on cloudy days with frigid temperatures, we are able to use the porch comfortably. We do get some morning and late afternoon sun which warms it up. The inserts have been durable - withstood all the weather elements. We are located on water, so it can get windy.

• samillesheriff
    9 years ago

Impressive! That sounds perfect, but I don't think that have anyone so industrious or capable. I am putting your suggestion to the family and see if anyone volunteers.

Thank you!

• kswl2
    9 years ago

My question would be how long no until the shades start yellowing or becoming opaque with age, like the vinyl enclosure flaps around city sidewalk cafes in winter. They look pretty bad as they age.

• steverams
    7 years ago

We purchased a 16 foot long clear vinyl roller shade to wall off one side off our patio that can get a cool breeze when one isn't wanted. It works great and allows more time on the patio. We bought it from an internet retailer that is probably the best there is. But the first shade had scuffs and scratches, most likely a result of the manufacturer using bad material or careless manufacturing processes. We received a replacement shade, but it was damaged during shipment and had large creases in the area the shade was. The second shade is "acceptable", so we still have it. I just want people to understand that vinyl is not perfect and to expect imperfections, especially if ordering online.

Here's a photo from the first shade (about a 9" x 12" section):

That was just one of about four or five noticeable scratches.

Here's how the second shipment arrived (still on the truck when photo taken):

And here are creases that happening to be in the area of the damaged (compressed) section of the above package:

• steverams
    7 years ago

The second and third photos didn't get embedded in my previous post. Here they are:

• Amy H
    6 years ago

stverams-

what the retailer for your shade?

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative General Contractors