Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janice742

What to do with this wall ?

Janice742
11 years ago

I'm almost done with my office. There is one wall to contend with.

Here are my needs:

The chair stays -- we need a place to sit and read. Would like to add an ottoman..... what would work with this style? I'm thinking something round -- can slide to the side toward the window when not in use. Thoughts?

I need storage for books. This book shelf is a temporary fix.
{{!gwi}}

I already have a long MCM console in the room:

Should I go "up" with a tall piece? Or stick with something long. I have 60 inches of space from the chair to where the door opens into the room.

And while your at it - what can I do to accessorize the console?

Comments (17)

• Debra W
    11 years ago

I would definitely go up. I can picture an open wardrobe style cabinet, not too big, but in the styling of the chair. I think I would paint it to match the colour of the blue lamps or even the darker colour of blue that's in the wallpaper.

I think a large mirror would look nice. I love this one: http://pinterest.com/pin/206532332883834150/

A wardrobe similar but smaller to the one at the link I posted below would work, but I would take the doors off.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• Janice742
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Funny, we used to have a wardrobe like that - and sold it on CL.

I have a white mirror on the opposite wall - but the one you showed is gorgeous.

I'm thinking up as well....

• leafy02
    11 years ago

I just want to say that wallpaper is amazingly beautiful.

• jenniferPA
    11 years ago

Wow, I also love your wallpaper. Can you tell me who makes it? Thanks!

• beasty
    11 years ago

I love your console. I wonder whether having a tall piece right next to the armchair might make the armchair feel closed in and unappealing -- but I agree that you could use a tall piece to balance out the room. Have you thought about moving the console to where the bookcase is and then getting a tall piece for the wall where the console is now?

• Janice742
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you! It makes me happy. Very bright and cheerful especially here in Chicago where the sun doesn't shine much in the winter months. It was quite a departure for me but I'm glad I decided to use it.

It is by Harlequin - the pattern is Tembok - Folia.

Here is a link that might be useful: Harlequin paper

• PRO
    acdesignsky
    11 years ago

Not to hijack, but where did you find a US distributor for the wallpaper? There is a Harlequin paper I love, but none of the few places I can find it online ship to the US.

• Janice742
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No problem at all.

I actually ordered from the UK (paid $50 for shipping) It is an expensive line - but I wanted something different with a WOW factor.

However... when I had a question for my local paint/wallpaper store about what type of glue to use to hang it, the decorator there said that they could have gotten it for me.

But you are correct when you say that an online US vendor won't ship to the US.

I used "Select Wallpaper" and they were wonderful to deal with. Answered questions quickly and helped with measurements (english to metric conversions)

• Janice742
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Beasty -

Unfortunately, the console is too long for that space (with the chair there.) And the space where the console is doesn't make sense for the chair.

I see what you mean about a tall piece making the chair feel closed in.

I need to really think about this one!

• PRO
    acdesignsky
    11 years ago

Thank you so much Janice! Select will ship to me for just $76 for 5 rolls.

• autismmom
    11 years ago

another I LOVE the wallpaper!!

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

Gorgeous room I just love that wallpaper too. I think the chair looks great. :)

What else is on the wall with the chair? Do you plan to put a small table by it? For a drink perhaps, or will the bookcase or whatever you choose to put there take that place?

I agree a round ottoman would probably work well with that chair. I could see one of those antique footstools too though that you could tuck under the chair a bit.

• Janice742
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The book case is the only thing on that wall - and obviously, it's too small. I could do a little side table to the right of the chair... a round something:

or

but then I'm not sure if that would be too busy with the addition of an ottoman

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

Well it is hard to tell with out seeing the whole wall. Do you need another piece of furniture there? Could you put a table with a lamp, an ottoman and a basket of books or magazines? I am thinking of that thread recently where the person did a sitting room that came out so lovely. I wish I could remember the posters name.

• beasty
    11 years ago

Maybe a glass front bookcase like Palimpsest has in the bedroom (in the post that just went up), but a little shorter? You could center it on the wall, or have it slightly to the left, and then put a small round table right by the chair to set glasses, etc on? But that might make the wall too busy and crowded -- I'm not really clear on how big it is.

• nonchalant
    11 years ago

(Lurker, but I had to delurk to say ....)

More love for the wallpaper! Just fab!

But, I wanted to say, that just because you put some bookcases there, doesn't mean you have to hide that lovely chair in a corner by the window.

You could always still keep it by the corner, but in front of a bank of bookcases, like these lovely inspiration pics:

And, I love bookcases. But, maybe that's because I love books! ^_^ (Okay, going back into hiding now!)

• sis2two
    11 years ago

Oh I love your wallpaper! That is going to be a nice looking room.