Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Maybe OT - do you have more than one set of "everyday" glasses?

TxMarti
10 years ago

Water glasses, not eyewear.

I am trying to cull out some of my excess but I keep finding a reason to keep it all. I know my next house will not have a kitchen as large as this one.

Right now I have glasses(stemmed) that go with my everyday dishes, a set of glasses with an etched design (wedding present 38 years ago) that I really just keep for company, and a cheapo set that I keep for our daily use when we're not eating a meal. I hope that makes sense.

I was going to get rid of the etched glasses but when I serve tea or soft drinks to company before dinner with my stemmed glasses, they invariably forget which one is theirs and I have to wash them before dinner. I know there are name tags that I can put on stems and thought I might do that.

Comments (20)

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I wouldn't get rid of any of them if you still have room to store them. I have 18 footed water glasses that we use for everyday. I love them as they have dots etched on them. They were inexpensive but one of the prettiest water glasses that I have seen. I also have some more delicate antique glasses that we often use. For holidays I mix my Waterford and my Fostoria that was my wonderful dear grandmother's. I have some other crystal as well, both antique and newer and I just can't bring myself to part with any of it. Some day my children or grandchildren will have a field day with all the crystal, glassware, and china that I have accumulated.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If I got rid of food in the pantry, I'd have room for all of it. lol

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

Wow, you guys are so fancy. We have a bunch of informal glassware, including vintage red and white striped tall glasses; glasses made from recycled beer bottles; McDonalds glasses with the Hamburglar, etc., on them (bought from consignment store as a joke but my teenage son loves them so I bought a few more over time); some glasses we bought from a restaurant in Switzerland; and a bunch from Fishs Eddy. We only have 4 or 6 of each, though.

In another cabinet, we do have wine glasses and martini glasses, but none are really fancy. They're from places like Crate & Barrel. I have exactly 2 fancy wine glasses, which were a wedding gift!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

Wow, I must be the Imelda Marcos of glasses. Name it, I have it in quantities of 8-15, formal, casual, semi casual, fruit, wine, champagne, water, soda, tomato, iced tea, martini, and on and on!

And that's not even discussing colors, hot beverage glasses or Christmas....

• patricianat
    10 years ago

Yes, to both eyes and table.

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

I'm probably the wrong person to respond because I love tableware and I wouldn't want to get rid of any of it. I keep special sets in protective cases in cabinets in my garage because there's not room for all of them in my kitchen. When I move to an even smaller house sometime in the future, I plan to discard many items, but not my tableware...LOL!

• OhMarti
    10 years ago

I'm like bumblebeez...we have it all from waterford for all the different drinks right on down to plastic insulated convenience store cups. We just moved and i never saw so much glassware (and otherwise) in my life. I suggested to dh that we get rid of some of it, but that earned me a rather unpleasant remark about my clumsiness and propensity to drop and break stuff. How do you argue with the truth? :-//

• crl_
    10 years ago

I have about thirty five big glasses for iced beverages (purchased 40 of them a decade ago at the WS outlet because I was tired of mismatched glasses due to breakage). I also have 8 small juice glasses for the kids. And then a set of crystal wine glasses. And the handful of champagne coupes that are left from my great grandmother's blue glass set of dishes. And a few more random glasses too. Toooo many dishes in this house.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I can see I am in very good company here. I am also a tableware junkie though I did give my DD a set of china for eight that I no longer wanted. I originally bought it for card club but never seemed to use it.

At the age of sixty I am still buying china that I love and always look for neat pieces for my grandchildren. I recently bought some adorable animal plates from West Elm. I remember how special I felt when my DGM had a special china setting for me when I visited.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I should have known you all would be enablers. lol You just talked me into keeping them.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

For everyday I have a set that I got at Pottery Barn that I loved because they have indentations that feel good when you grasp them. Then I saw the exact same glass made by Libby's on sale at BB&B so I bought two boxes of them. I am kind of clumsy (hand problems) so I knew I would need back ups. They are large tumblers, medium ones and small squatty ones. I also have a few leftovers from the previous set that I haven;t broken yet.

I have a couple insulated plastic "glasses" for sweaty drinks in the summer, as well as a variety of wine glasses. I also have a large set of Christmas glasses that almost never are used.

And the usual odds and ends that came from who knows where.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

I have several insulated plastic glasses and they way they look in the cabinet usually annoys me. Although I use them daily!

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

dedtired, that sounds like the stuff I use every day, all day. They have ribbing all around and kind of thumbprint indentions around the base.

• sloedjinn
    10 years ago

Sounds like a lot to me, but I'm probably not the person to ask. We have one set of large plain glass tumblers bought from Crate and Barrel, about eight of them, four small, short glasses for cocktails (I like an old fashioned now and then) and a couple of the large plastic glasses with straws and screw on lids my husband likes (I call them grown up sippy cups). I suspect I still have a few wine glasses around, but we're not wine drinkers so I haven't seen them lately. I may have sent them to the goodwill when ona de cluttering spree.

But we don't entertain very much. I'd probably have a lot more if we entertained. But we don't and we have limited storage, so we keep glasses to a minimum. But it all comes down to what works for you and what you have space for.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    10 years ago

I moved to a smaller space recently (although the kitchen is actually bigger) so I did a lot of purging.. I allocated one top shelf for company casual 12 water glasses, 6 wine glasses and 6 martinis. I don't entertain as much anymore and that should be more than enough. I limited myself to a medium size bottom shelf for the regular everyday hodge-podge including plastic mobile versions for summer, etc. It has been more than enough and is probably half of what I used to have. As they break, I shouldn't have to replace for many years -- unless the hodge-podge randomness becomes unattractive and I feel a need to reset with a matched set.

I've also noticed that newer dishwashers have smaller capacity, presumably from all the insulation keeping them quieter. So the glasses turn over more and do not get stored in the d/w for awhile -- reducing my need for even as many as I've got.

• nwwoman
    10 years ago

Yep, we're enablers here. For someone who doesn't even drink wine, I have an absurd amount of stemware, but much of it has been handed down to me. The everyday glasses are a lot less numerous and we seem to buy a new set of them about every 5 years or so as they don't hold up well against my clumsy hubbie. Ironically, the longest surviving of all the glassware have been the 'jelly jar' glasses my mother bought more than 20 years ago from Williams-Sonoma.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

OMG, for the past 24 hours I thought you were talking about eye glasses and didn't open the thread.

To answer: I don't have any fancy glasses anymore after breaking all my Rosenthal glasses. Everything can be used every day.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Marti, mine don't have ribbing. It's funny how many people have commented that they like these glasses because of those indentations. Here they are:

Here is a link that might be useful: impressions glasses

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've used those somewhere too. I do like them. You feel like you have a firm grip on them.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Marti, mine don't have ribbing. It's funny how many people have commented that they like these glasses because of those indentations. Here they are:

Here is a link that might be useful: impressions glasses