Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reeree_natural

Color match for paint?

reeree_natural
15 years ago

Has anyone ever had an EK color made by another brand, BM, SW etc? If so, how did it come out? I am aware you will not get the full spectrum pigments , just wondering how it did come out if any of you had it done.

Thanks

Ree

Comments (3)

• amysrq
    15 years ago

Funcolors has shared a horror story about trying to match EK Bronze in SW paint. It was a disaster. Do you not have ICI/Dulux near you?

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    15 years ago

Oh, geeze. I really have lost count of the number painters who swear they can match full spectrum color and fail. SW Relic Bronze mixed FS was one of the worst followed by the Tulip Leaves, Slate, and Mushroom incidents. Oy.

There is no such thing as full spectrum *pigments*. EK in particular uses the ICI colorants and ICI base. It's her method, recipe for including a representational amount from each basic spectral hue that makes it full spectrum. Black is not a spectral hue (obviously) therefore using black to mix color is a different way to go about it.

Peeling into formulas for the average consumer of color can be confusing. If you go down this path, trying to determine what FS is and what it is not, just remember that just because a color's formula may not have black included, does not mean the color is comprised of a full spectrum mix of colorants.

FS in concept is mixing color so it has a wider variety of inherent *colors* so it's fully armed to work with a multitude of different qualities of light. You can't (for the most part) control the quality of light, i.e. can't spin your house so your north-facing kitchen is due south so its natural light source is more robust, even and balanced. But you can - to a point - control certain characteristics of paint colors so IT is more robust.

Then there's the whole metaphysical and therapeutic aspects of how full spectrum color enriches the experiences of shelter. Another place to park your head and mull around what FS color means and ponder what could be achieved by *matching* FS color instead of living it.

• reeree_natural
    Original Author
    15 years ago

amysrq

Unfortunately, we do not have an ICI in NY, closest is NJ. I love her colors, I was a little leery to have so many gallons shipped. I have the sample cards, but it is still very hard to make the right choice. I am not sure if itÂs my lighting in this house, but it seems the colors I picked for the FM & kitchen looks gray in darker lighting ???? Seen plenty of pictures of rooms with her paint and they all look fantastic.

Fun colors

Wow, youÂve been there, done that.. Sounds like a huge nightmare!
    Thanks for the explanation, your aspect brightens a day !
    I guess I will just order it and have it shipped. As I have mentioned earlier, I was a little leery to do so, but I guess it is worth it. Wanted to do Adobe in our FR and sage in kitchenÂthen off to blue ceilings, so I need a few gallons.. tis the season!
    Thanks again
    Ree