Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iris16_gw

Help with paint for entry

15 years ago

Good morning! This must be the day to request help with paint as I see many others posted this morning.

I am wanting to take down the dated wall paper in my entry hall and paint. SW coral island has been suggested. Do you think this color is overpowering for the space? The entry is about 18' long x 8' wide. There is very little natrual light. LR,FR, kitchen, and 1/2 bath, steps to upstairs come off the central entry. The living and dining room have some of this same color as seen in the pictures. I'll be keeping the floor tile the same. I won't be painting any wood work:( What do you think? Thanks for all help.

Looking from the entry doorway

{{!gwi}}

Front door with color sample

{{!gwi}}

Living room from entry

{{!gwi}}

Dining room wall paper

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: More pictures here

Comments (39)

• 15 years ago

Whew, that peach would be too much for me in that area. I think I'd go with a warm green-gray shade that kind of matches or compliments the grout in your tile in the entryway. What do you think about this?

• 15 years ago

I agree that the peach/coral color doesn't seem pleasing. With all the wood tones you have I think a cream color would better offset them and give you a neutral background that won't compete with the tile. Eliza's suggestion of a warm gray-green is also a good one, if it's an actual color you want.

• 15 years ago

I vote for green also. I have BM Saybrook Sage and love it! It is a nice grey green Here is a picture but the color looks a little off. View the color on the BM website for a more accurate pic. I think it would really update the room. I'd stay away from the peachy coral tones.

• 15 years ago

I'm listening. Keep the help coming. My inital thoughts on seeing the coral color where the same, way too much. But I'm not totally convinced it would not work. I don't want to shock people when they come in the door but I do want to have a bit of a statement.

• 15 years ago

The SW Coral Island sample I have actually looks more brown/coral than what is showing by the door.

• 15 years ago

Since you have coral in the living room and in the pretty wallpaper in your dining room it might actually seem too similar and just read as more of the same. A contrasting color, such as green, might be a better bet. On the other hand, you could ramp up the coral and instead make it a pretty brick red, perhaps in a semigloss to give more impact, and make a more dramatic statement that way.

• 15 years ago

Thanks for the replies. Since the carpet is teal green, I wonder if green would work.

Ingrid the next color down from SW Coral Island 6332 on the color strip is Foxy SW 6333. It is a much darker brick coral. I wonder if they can change the sample paint to 6333?

• 15 years ago

The coral is pretty but doesn't play nice with your wood trim. I like the idea of a deeper terra cotta, but I think your best bet is a blue-green shade the same hue as your carpeting but a smidge lighter or darker. I would avoid sage or gray-green. Blue greens look really pretty with that shade of stained wood.

• 15 years ago

I agree with the others that the coral would be overwhelming in that space and I think that green wouldn't work with the teal carpet in the adjoining living room. What about painting your foyer the same color as the background of the painting above your sofa (or a couple of shades lighter)? That shade looks great with your sofa, floor, and woodwork. :o)

• 15 years ago

Oh now that's an interesting thought persnickety. Maybe a gold would work better. I have mannered gold on a book case in the family room and gold in the kitchen backsplash and counter. This is a board from the bookcase. It's Mannered gold or maybe SW blonde would work.

{{!gwi}}

• 15 years ago

I don't like the coral with your wood trim. I think it would be a little overwelming, too.

• 15 years ago

I'm likin' the Mannered Gold! Do you have a board with Blonde on it?

• 15 years ago

Sorry I don't have any Blonde paint. It is quite a bit lighter than Mannered Gold on the color strip.

• 15 years ago

I like the Mannered Gold better than the Coral, but would still like to see a Terra Cotta color for comparison. The Coral seems to be fighting the woodwork.

Good luck!

Mary

• 15 years ago

Thanks for all the help. I'm painting the kitchen this weekend so maybe on Monday I can get some darker coral and blonde gold for comparison.

• 15 years ago

Here's your entry in Mannered Gold
    {{!gwi}}

• 15 years ago

Oh my goodness! Suero, thanks for giving me the whole picture. Do you think you could do the hall in the coral color? I'm not sure I like the gold, but maybe it's just that I'm used to the old wallpaper. Wow what a change!
    What do you all think of the gold?

• 15 years ago

I'm sorry, but at least in the picture the Mannered Gold looks dull and boring. It doesn't flatter the woodwork either. The idea sounded interesting but, at least in the picture, the color doesn't seem to work. I'll try to find a picture of the color of my dining room to give you an idea of what I was envisioning.

• 15 years ago

Coral, or as close as I can make it:

{{!gwi}}

• 15 years ago

Ingrid, DH said the same thing "looks blah to me". But maybe the monitor is not showing the true color because the coral is really darker so maybe the gold should be darker too. I'm looking forward to your suggestions for the brick red color.

• 15 years ago

Sue Thanks tons for the photoshop work. But I'm thinking that color looks terrible! Oh well guess I'll keep looking.

• 15 years ago

One of the problems is that you now have a solid mass of color where you had pattern before. Some art on the walls will make a big difference.

• 15 years ago

A little. I wonder if I could use some kind of glaze over the coral. Surely there is a color that will work. I'll keep looking at color strips.

• 15 years ago

Iris, this is the color of my dining room. I added some gold ornamentation with an antique gold color from a craft store in case you're wondering what that's all about. I do think something stronger than coral is what you need; you just have to be brave. Remember, it's only paint. It can always be covered up.

• 15 years ago

Ingrid, I like your DR paint color. It's rich and deep. It doesn't look overpowering at all, maybe because of the beautiful furnishings you have. I will have to remember that it's "easy" to change the paint color if it really looks bad. Thanks.

• 15 years ago

Ingrid, I have that same sewing cabinet! Love it.

Your DR is lovely.

Mary

• 15 years ago

i agree thaat the first color does not look good. i also think thta some wall art or accesories could help as well. maybe a corner table wiht pictures. i also think the green sugestion would be nice as well. it doesnt have to be bright green now, we picked out a green for our new MBrm.its called pineneedle green form valspar-lowes. alot of people say it has a gray look. also have you considered doing half ways?half wallpapaer/half paint?half one color,chair rail and either same on bottome or 2 shades darker on bottom, or wainscoting on bottom?

• 15 years ago

Ingrid, I love your room. Everything looks adorable, even the wall color!

Iris, I still think, even after reading everything here, that you might be happier with something in a sage or greyed green. Nantucket Gray by Ben Moore comes to mind. Or even Dry Sage. I just used that in my own entry and will post pix when I get the painting stuff cleaned up.

Red

• 15 years ago

Oooh, Ingrid, I've never seen your DR either. Really nice! I love your weathered table.

• 15 years ago

Dry sage:

• 15 years ago

Thank you all so much for your very nice comments about my dining room. Jenny, my table is about 125 years old so it comes by its weathered look honestly. At least I never have to worry about the veneer being spoiled; it has none!

I'll be really interested to see what the final outcome will be. Here's another color idea that just occurred to me. There are lots of beautiful deep grays; would that color appeal to you at all? I don't think it would clash with anything and would be a dramatic look.

• 15 years ago

Ingrid, your dining room is gorgeous!

I love the table and the teardrops on your chandelier. The window is so precious, too. It's like being in a garden.

Iris, I think, whatever color you choose, another idea for updating your look might be to regrout with a light grout. Seal it when you're done and it will be nice and fresh.

• 15 years ago

Wow a lot was going on while I was helping DH paint the kitchen. We used SW sundew and we both really like the golden glow it gives our still unfinished kitchen... but we are making progress.
    Now for some feed back on all the helpful comments

lilbit Our entry hall is fairly small only 8' wide so I don't think a chair rail with paint/wallpaper or two different paints would make it more spacious. But I could be wrong....I picked the coral paint

redbazel I like various greens but I have this teal carpet nearby in the living room that is staying at least for this year so I don't think a sage green would work. A long term goal would be to put hard wood in there and the dining room and get rid of the carpet.

sue thanks again for the photo shop of the sage green. It looks nice with the wood tone but as I said with the teal carpet .........I dont' know if it would work.

Ingrid I do like the idea of gray. Do you think even with the entry not getting much natural light it could work? Would you suggest light gray or a specific gray color?

parma regrouting the tile could be a long term goal. There are some palces where it needs replaced as it is.

Thank you all so much for the ideas! I'll keep you posted.

• 15 years ago

Iris, I wish I could be more specific about the gray but I have so little experience with paint. I don't think I'd pick a light gray, though, but rather something with more substance and depth. Is that a grey stripe I see in your couch? It actually looks like two different grays, but perhaps something in that range might work for you.

• 15 years ago

Ingrid, the couch has a dark green strip with a gold leaf in it then a very small blue strip next to it.
    It is going to take forever to get all that wallpaper off so it will be some time before I'm ready to paint. Thanks for your help and your dining room is very beautifully decorated. Is the red/coral paint on a textured wall? It has such depth.

• 15 years ago

You've got a lot of pattern going on in your home now, and painting the walls of the entry a solid color will be a very large change. I'm not surprised that you and DH find the photoshopped walls blah. If you are going to do a solid color, you'll need some pattern in that hallway to break up the mass of a single color, maybe even a green plant.
    As for Dry Sage, or a similar gray-green shade, I think it will blend very nicely with your teal rug. Your sofa and chair and wallpaper have various green shades in them, which you might match for the entry wall.

• 15 years ago

Iris, if you click on my link in the Pratt Lambert/Cottage Living thread, you can get to a couple of shots of my Dry Sage in entry. It's a matte flat Ace Sensations finish, no real sheen. The paint changes from greyed-green, to almost a blue, depending on the light.

Red

• 15 years ago

I was playing around with the coral color. What about subtle stripes, with a slightly darker coral alternating with the coral?

• 15 years ago

Subtle stripes. Now that's interesting. I do have a lot of patterns going on in the LR and DR and hallway so the paint will be a big change, so some subtle stipes might be a solution. When I removed the wallpaper in the kitchen it took a while to get used to the walls but now that they are painted I am loving the clean look.
    Red, your entry is lovely with that dry sage color. I used the SW Duration paint in the kitchen and it is a matte finish but washable like the Ace paint you used.