Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mkrzyz22_gw

Need help with Family Rm. Finishing touches! LOTS of pics

mkrzyz22
16 years ago

I need LOTS of help with the finishing touches in this room! Any help would be appreciated. I need window treatment suggestions, help with fiepleace picture ideas, mantle decor ideas, ideas for any picutres above entertainment center, ideas for stuff in entertainment center, side table ideas, side table and lamp idea next to chair, and ideas for dead space where baby swings are.

Thanks to everyone!

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e104/mkrzyz22/DSC00407.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e104/mkrzyz22/DSC00408.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e104/mkrzyz22/DSC00409.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e104/mkrzyz22/DSC00410.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e104/mkrzyz22/DSC00411.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e104/mkrzyz22/DSC00412.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e104/mkrzyz22/DSC00413.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e104/mkrzyz22/DSC00414.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e104/mkrzyz22/DSC00415.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e104/mkrzyz22/DSC00416.jpg

Comments (65)

• mkrzyz22
    Original Author
    16 years ago

gk5040- I look forward to seeing the pictures, thanks!

• krisfl
    16 years ago

I can't really help, but just had to post a picture of my entertainment center. It looks just like yours and you have the same TV too! The progress you've made already looks great. :) Good luck.

• funkyart
    16 years ago

Love the warm and homey feel of your room. You have some great things going so I'd play them up.

I'd like to see artwork with red in it over the fireplace-- your temp piece works a lot better for me than the koi print. I don't know how your tastes go but I'd probably be looking for an abstract landscape. Your husband hates fall so maybe something less defined. I think any strong rich jewel color would work though-- something to reflect the rich colors in your floors.

I really like the idea of pictures across the top of the entertainment center-- but similar in "strength" to the ones in your link. They shouldn't compete with whatever you put over the fireplace-- or the tv screen.

I don't have any issue with what's on your entertainment center but everything is approx the same size. I'd like to see some visual interest. There also seems to be a lot going on at the level of the mantle and top of the entertainment center. It's busy right at eye level. I'd take the stuff off the top of the entertainment center and go with the line of pictures.

Your artwork over the fireplace will likely make a big difference in what feels right on the mantle. Right now, I think the light items on the left disappear-- and the copper piece on the right is very shiny and steals the focus from the whole room-- and doesn't give me the same earthy feel that the rest of the room does. Maybe it is the flash? I do really like the dark vase/bottle and the amber candleholder (is that what it is?) and the piece on the hearth.

I often go a more simple direction with window treatments than others here-- but my first reaction is a light organic kind of color in a roman shade. The windows fall about the same level as the fireplace and entertainment center. I think anything darker or more complicated would be too busy.

You really have a great start-- and kudos to you for managing it with twins! It's going to be such a wonderful room to enjoy as they grow.

• funkyart
    16 years ago

Oops. i wrote my post a little at a time while watching the bulls game haha. I missed your updated pictures. Ya know-- your temp painting is growing on me. I like it. I think you could do better but I like it! The mantle pieces aren't working for me-- i think it's the uniformity in height and texture-- but not sure. I liked the small amber piece but the orangish vase seems to take away from the painting. You are definitely on a roll though!

• mkrzyz22
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks for all your ideas! The artwork is growing on me too but I'm still thinking it will be temporary and like you, I'm not a fan of the other stuff on the mantle...just not wuite what I imagined but I'm not sure what is right either. I'll have to keep working on it and looking for insipration.

I will also have to keep my eye open for the pictures above the entertainment until...something very suttle!

Thanks for your help!

krisfl- our entertainment units are very similar and I like what you've done! Thanks :)

• mpwdmom
    16 years ago

OT, but mkrzyz22, I wondered what color your room is painted? I love it...and your floor is beautiful too, is it oak?

Susan

• funkyart
    16 years ago

mkrzyz22.. I am looked at your pictures again today and I have to say I think your current mantle art could definitely work with different objects on the mantle. I realized that what I am doing may work for you if it works with your style. I am collecting a number of different rustic candlesticks-- intentionally different styles and finishes to create visual interest on the mantle. For my room I am thinking about combining vintage mercury glass with rustic wood candlesticks (still not sure THAT will work but I am going to give it a try) not sure I'd go to those extremes in your room but I could see different sizes, shapes on your mantle. Maybe some dark and some white washed or dark and red.. but definitely substantial rather than delicate.

Just an idea to toss around.. but your artwork is definitely growing on me and obviously you and/or your husband liked it when you bought it.

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

Ballards has a lot of different ideas for walls. This is my current favorite and it has many of your colors in it! Also take a look at many of their other panels and series prints for over your ET!

Here is a link that might be useful: Warmth print

• gk5040
    16 years ago

Sorry it took so long to post these. Photobucket acts up on me some days and wont let me upload.

{{!gwi}}

Unfortunately my bonus room windows have built in dividers in the windows. My bedroom does not, but I really wish I had ordered the bedroom shutters the same as the bonus room. My one small window in the bedroom would have shown the middle of the window (they slide open, you can see the lock) so the guy convinced me to do two shutters opening out instead of one big shutter for each window, wish I didnt listen to him. Not having the divider or split in shutter allows for more of a view outside....like on my sliders. Someone mentioned decorative roman shades. They might work well for you too.

• mkrzyz22
    Original Author
    16 years ago

mpwdmom- thanks! The color is BM Fairway Oaks

funkyart-that's a cool idea...I'd love to see what you are doing!

kmcg85- BEAUTIFUL! love Ballard Designs!

gk5040- thanks! that may work for us!

• gk5040
    16 years ago

Since I dont think you would want to actually open up the shutters, I would do one shutter door on each of your windows to get the most of your view...similar to my bonus room window. Good luck, I am sure whateve you choose will look great:)

• mkrzyz22
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok, I added another piece of furniture to the room. i had this in my garage and totally forgot about it! It was handed down to me from my dad and although the wood color isn't ideal since all the other woods in the room are darker...the style is perfect(I think). It's sort of craftsman-ish which a lot of our home is based on. Anyway....what do you think about it? It does look a bit dwarfed in that corner but maybe with the right accessories or wall hanging behind it, it will look better. Also, I have this metal hall hanging thing in my garage, (it holds votive candle holders)would that look good on the staircase wall? Or would shelves be better? I LOVE the bamboo but maybe it's too small? Obviously the swings will b e staying for awhile.
    Another thought...would it be a good idea to have this piece of furniture restained to a darker wood color?

• mkrzyz22
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Would this work on that wall?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• cliff_and_joann
    16 years ago

I love the room, the colors and the arts and crafts feel to the room. I think a mantle shelf across
    the tv wall unit would enhance the unit a lot. Then put a nice small lamp on the top left side of the shelf. It is a great place to display some nicely framed photos, and there still would be room for some artwork above it.

Yes, I strip the oak cabinet, and stain it to match the wall unit. It's a great piece for your room, unique and I'm a big fan of unique. A nice lamp on top of that piece would look great as well.

• mkrzyz22
    Original Author
    16 years ago

cliff and joann- thank you for your ideas!

Here is that spiral piece as it looks hung..

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

I think the iron votive scroll wall hanging would be nice above the fireplace. I am actually looking for one for over the MB tub!

• mkrzyz22
    Original Author
    16 years ago

kmcg85- I wanted it above the fireplace as well....dh won't let me put it there...oh, well. I had also though about ut above our mb tub! I got it at Pottery Barn if you are interested.

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

Here is another suggestion for over the EC from Country Curtains. A&C inspired!

Here is a link that might be useful: arts and crafts prints

• funkyart
    16 years ago

I love the chest from your dad! It is a little small-- but I think it is accentuated by the fact that it is so light. Staining darker would be great-- but man, I am also feeling a funky paint or stain color. A rich deep red-- or even an indigo. I like the bamboo too but you need some height there. Maybe a tall piece of artwork.

Do you still have enough room for the twins' swings? How does the height of the chest compare to the sides of the sectional? Can you use it as an end table instead of the folding table?

Sorry, the iron votive wall hanging isn't working for me-- neither is the sunburst mirror. But take that with a grain of salt because I tend not to like them in most applications and I know they are both "in". They just feel a little cold and forced to me and your room is just so warm and inviting.

• mkrzyz22
    Original Author
    16 years ago

kmcg85- I like those A&C prints!

funkyart-Thank you! That would be fun to paint it a funky vibrant color...of course, DH would not go for that I don't think. He's a little more conservative than me on the decorating side :-)
    There is still room for the swings in front of the chest if I leave it there. It is about 5ft tall I'd say so tall for an end table I would say...neat idea though.

I inderstand what you mean about the wall hangings.

Thanks;)

• cliff_and_joann
    16 years ago

I don't like the candle thing for over the fireplace...too ordinary and your room is far from ordinary. I rather see the artwork hung the long way, also a wonderful arts and crafts mantle clock for that fireplace would be wonderful. The clock should be placed in the middle of the mantle.

Joann

• cliff_and_joann
    16 years ago

Forgot to mention, try the chest flat on the wall, in the middle of the wall. (I'm not a big fan of caticorner furniture) Do you have a lamp you could place there to get an idea of lamp size? Take a pic and show us.

Joann

• funkyart
    16 years ago

You are doing a great job working with what you have-- can I raid your garage next? hahah. I looked at your pictures again and yeah, no way the chest will work as a side table hahah. You must have rolled your eyes at me. ;) I really do love the design of it-- I think a darker stain and a simple print on the wall and that corner will look smashing!

I am trying to do artwork on the cheap because I spent (and will spend more) a little more on my furniture than I had planned. I also like to purchase good art over time-- so in the meantime, I am purchasing some artistic photos and am bidding on a painting on ebay. Don't discount ebay or artist direct purchases. It's a good way to get original art, support budding artists and get exactly what you want for reasonable (cough*cheap*cough) prices.

• mkrzyz22
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ok, here is a picture of the chest with the only table lamp we own :) Not sure how that happened..
    anyway, the chest is actually only 3ft 11in tall and the lamp is pretty small..17inches tall.

funkyart-there's nothing left in the garage now...hehe! my basement is full of 'stuff' though ;)
    I love EBAY...that's actually where i got the oil painting that is now over the fireplace...I need to look there when i have time! thanks for reminding me.

• mkrzyz22
    Original Author
    16 years ago

another thing i forgot to mention is that DH really would like an ottoman/coffee table for the couch but I'm wondering is that would be too much stuff in the room? Not sure about that.

• mkrzyz22
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok, after searching my basement, I found some more stuff, wondering if it would work in this room?

Large picture behind cabinet?

Smaller picture behind cabinet?
    {{!gwi}}

Frames for above entertainment center...not necessarily with these floral pictures in the frames. I have 7 of these frames.
    {{!gwi}}

Trunk, maybe under window by chair?

• igloochic
    16 years ago

That trunk would be pretty in the room...and the prints...I like the big one for above the fireplace, or the smaller one, then move the oriental looking one that you have over the fire and hang it over the icebox. I don't like that lamp on the icebox...it's way too small.

Would the chair with the ottoman fit where the lovely twin was (where the icebox is now?) and then put the trunk under the window the chair was in front of?

ANd then, the icebox, would it fit where that last papoose thing is leaning up against in the hallway?

• mkrzyz22
    Original Author
    16 years ago

igloochic- thanks for the suggestions! I'll have to see if that larger picture fits above the fireplace, it may be too big. I will measure tomorrow.
    I agree-the lamp is too small for the icebox! Hmm..I like the idea of moving the chair, I'll see if that works.
    Not sure the icebox will fit in that small corner but it's worth a try!
    Thanks so much!

• mkrzyz22
    Original Author
    16 years ago

well for sure the vintage poster above the fireplace is too large. Would shelves above the icebox where it is work? Or a really large plant on top of the icebox?

• cliff_and_joann
    16 years ago

Yes, larger lamp on the ice-box. If DH likes the ottoman coffee table then look for one, just don't make it too big.
    It's probably a good idea with the twins...but you already have an ottoman in the room. There are some wonderful arts and craft coffee table you should look into as well...go shopping with an open mind and buy what you like.
    The prints are really out of place in your decor. Two smaller prints over the ice box would be better, again more in the arts and crafts/folk art theme. Put the lamp on the left side of the icebox and stagger two small prints on the right side.
    kmcg...love those arts and crafts prints...I wish I had room to put the two bunny prints up in my house...I love folk art.

Joann
    I also like plantation shutters and think your windows were made for them :)

• mkrzyz22
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Cliff and Joann! I appreciate the ideas. Ok...Vintage prints & Swirl Votive Holder are out! I definetly agree we need a small coffee table/ottoman of some sort.
    What do you(or anyone) think about the frames for over the Entertainment Center? My mom really liked the floral prints in there but I'm not sold on those....again, they went with our old home and not so sure they go here, at least not in this room.
    How about this lamp for on the icebox?

Here is a link that might be useful: Lamp

• cliff_and_joann
    16 years ago

The lamp is very nice...check out ebay, I just did a quick search and found this one.
    You can do better for over the wall unit...keep searching.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tiffany style lamp on ebay.

• mkrzyz22
    Original Author
    16 years ago

cliff and joann- beautiful lamp!

• mkrzyz22
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just pulling this thread up again. Wondering if two of these shelves behind the icebox would work? Hung staggered? I'm really stuck on what to do behind this icebox...

Here is a link that might be useful: Steel Shelf

• funkyart
    16 years ago

I don't know.. my first reaction was that no, no, no, the shelf is way too modern. However, since you are going with a craftsman feel (I think you said this in an earlier post), the lines are somewhat reminiscent of craftsman lines.

I'd really like to see some color in that corner-- something to tie it in with the rest of the room. Surely you could put color on the shelves but I am thinking they could easily get too busy.. and you are already struggling with what to put on other surfaces (plant shelf, mantle, EC). For the $325 or so you'd spend purchasing two shelves, you could purchase beautiful prints or artwork.

That's just my uneducated opinion .. what do your instincts tell you?

• hedrider
    16 years ago

I think with your colors you could do bamboo roman shades in your windows! The plus is you can still see the view outside when the shades are down.

• mkrzyz22
    Original Author
    16 years ago

funkyart-I've been thinking about those shelves and while I do like them, my instincts have been telling me that once I get 'stuff' on them it will be way too busy. With that said...I purchased something for above the fireplace which I'm still unsure about. I will post pics tomorrow.

hedrider- the bamboo roman shades sond interesting, I will have to look those up. I like being able to see out during the day but I don't like being able to see out at night...I'm a scardie cat like that, especially if you can see in ;)

• mkrzyz22
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here's my new idea. Not sure about the bamboo and the red vases on the mantle though.

• funkyart
    16 years ago

Welllll.. I am going to be very honest. The artwork for above the fireplace is just completely working against your room. It is very cold and stark compared to the warm colors and style of the rest of the room (and the adjoining rooms). I don't see them working in any of the spaces that I have seen of your house. (Sorry.)

I do still like the painting-- but it is lost on the wall above the ice chest.

All is not lost though-- I think you are narrowing in on what you like and what works and what doesn't. I am picking up that you prefer artwork that is a bit more contemporary. Your rug is contemporary as is your painting.. the new pieces are definitely contemporary but a little too much so.. and too bold and cold.

What do you see in your minds eye above the fireplace? I am sensing you like organic/botanical.. and maybe asian. Is that true? I don't normally like to suggest art for others but since I am looking for some pieces for myself, I can keep an eye out for you as well if I know better what you like.

I just received a painting I bought from ebay this morning. The colors and size are not right for your room but is this abstract landscape a style you'd like? It's ok if it's not your cup of tea.. I am just trying to narrow in on what you like.

• mkrzyz22
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I do know where you are coming from. I thought the same thing at the store but DH loved these so much I thought we could bring them home and see them in the space. I really like them but I agree, they are too cold for the room. Of course DH thinks they look awesome :) I like the painting you posted, very much my taste in artwork. Yes, contemporary, asian and organic! I think you hit the nail on the head :)

• loftisbunch_cox_net
    16 years ago

mkrzyz22 - I noticed you stated the spiral votive is out!! My wife and I have been trying to find one of these since we have the PERFECT spot for one. If you are interested in parting with it please let us know...thanks!!

• lmayer
    15 years ago

I think a nice mirror with an espresso frame would look great over the fireplace. Then for the windows you could either do roman shades or silk drapes. The coffee table that matches your entertainment system would also be a great addition. If you still have your spiral votive holder, I'd love to take it off your hands as well. lmayer@ouhsc.edu

• katy_texas
    15 years ago

I could really see "Warmth" framed nicely above the fireplace. Allposters has this in a print, and you could take it to a local Hobby Lobby or Micheal's to have it framed- just make certain they crop out the bottom "poster" part of this print. Have seen this print in Horchow's forever (for big $, on a canvas) and finally took a chance to see if I could find it in poster form... and here's the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: allposters

• neesie
    15 years ago

You should add a bundle of wood in your fireplace. You don't actually need to use it!

• mkrzyz22
    Original Author
    15 years ago

WOW! Thank you for bringing my thread to 'life' again! I haven't been on here in awhile and I was thrilled to see it pop up again! Thank you!
    The room still looks the same, just more baby toys! But I am having a party in a few weeks and I would like to spruce it up!

lmayer- I have been trying to decide for the last few months about the window treatments and I am leaning more toward roman shades and I think a nice splash of color would be nice...any ideas? I can't part with the spiral votive holder...I decided to somewhere else in the house.

katy texas- oh, I just LOVE that print...I had no idea they had a poster of it! This makes it MUCH more affordable for me!!! I'll show hubby.

neesie- fabulous idea! Thanks. It just looks SO bare especially since we still haven't purchased any doors or screens for it yet.

I would LOVE to get some more ideas from everyone, I'm having SUCH a hard time with this room. It's getting there though....

• mkrzyz22
    Original Author
    15 years ago
  • gneegirl
    15 years ago

Sorry guys, but I do LOVE the "new idea". It doesn't look too "cold" to me and seems to have an elegance without looking too over the top. I think the contrast in characters is the "surprise" that works well with the tile on the fireplace and the stark white of the fireplace itself. I'm not a decorator by any means, but I really like those. The other thing, they have earthy designs - the leaves. I love the Ballard Designs too though.

• nanny2a
    15 years ago

I've been following this thread with great interest, and just have to add that the three steel framed leaves looked too stark and cold above the F/P. It's such a warm feeling room and that type of decor, like the swirl candle holder, just seem too harsh for the room.

Would still love to see 4 - 6 framed art pieces above the entertainment center, (whatever fits), the antique icebox stripped and stained or antiqued in a dark barn red color, a coffee table that matches the wood in the entertainment center, plantation shutters or roman shades for the windows, and the Azienda print above the fireplace.

Please send updated pix when you get it all done, you've got some great ideas and it's going to look fantastic when it's done!

• mkrzyz22
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I will definetly post pics when I get something more done!

One more thought, I think I am going to do white wood blinds and a straight lined valance. Any thoughts on the color for the valance?

• lmayer
    15 years ago

Looking at the other colors in your living room, I think a valance in either red or espresso would look nice. You could also do a large candle holder that holds multiple candles in the fireplace. Pottery Barn has a coffee table, the "Rhys collection" that would match your entertainment center. Also you may like David Wang's art if you like the asian style. I have a couple of his prints that I purchased at a local arts festival and love them. http://dwart.net/index.html

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner