Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elle3_gw

to all color obsessed fandeck holders-help!

elle3
15 years ago

Mostly a lurker and searcher on gweb--love this place! I apologize in advance for not having a picture, but I thought people familiar with the following colors might be able to offer advice/suggestions :)

We recently painted our fireplace wall in our den BM tyler taupe, and LOVE it! It makes the fireplace with white mantle pop. I now need a neutral color to complement the tyler taupe. I have monroe bisque, pittsfield buff, and powell buff up now, and I'm not sure...Shaker beige and lenox tan are on the same strip, but would not work at all.

I have strips from both Sherwin williams and benjamin moore and was looking at Ivorie and Blonde from SW. If you're a "paintaholic" (like I am!) you might have all chips...could you take a look for me?

And I must say that although I am obsessed with rich paint colors, I am not good at choosing them, nor am I good at seeing undertones.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated:)

Decent light and southern exposure in this room, btw. Off to try and fix my camera....

Comments (23)

• bestyears
    15 years ago

okay I'll take a shot at it....
    Did you look at Dunmore Cream (HC29)? Of the ones you listed I like Monroe Bisque the best. I think the Powell Buff would probably look okay, but to me the Dunmore Cream is a little more interesting with the Tyler Taupe. The Ivorie is similar to PB and Dunmore Cream -but again, I think like the PB, just a tad too similar to the Tyler Taupe, and so not quite as interesting. Just my .02 -was this helpful at all?

• parma42
    15 years ago

Sorry, house is a work in progress.

Dining room and living room are SW Ivoire. Kitchen is SW Blonde. I get loads of light. Colors are in the yellow family, which is what we wanted.

Paint strips usually appear more toned down compared to what they look like IRL.

• twizzis
    15 years ago

parma, I have to return the compliment...gorgeous home you have!

elle, I'm not familiar with BM paints, but SW blonde almost comes off looking like peach, imho. I'm wondering if this would clash with tyler taupe if that color is towards the gray tones?

• pattiem93
    15 years ago

Blonde has NO peach in it, Twizzis (and your pics are gorgeous!). Perhaps it's your monitor? Blonde is definitely yellow/gold with tan undertone. These are all Blonde at different times of day and levels of light

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

parma and pattie, you both have gorgeous home, each with its own unique style. Your paint colors are incredibly well chosen, they lighten up your rooms. I've seen a few taupes and beiges that are dull and dreary but your colors all glow. If I ever need advice on paint colors (which may be soon for one particular wall), I'm confident I'll get great advice. Thanks for the eye candy.

• eliza_824
    15 years ago

I'm tellin' ya-- go with Duron's Tobacco Road! SW bought them out, so SW has it-- just ask for the old Duron "Tobacco Road". DO a search on this forum to see some GORGEOUS pics of it!!! I think it would look great with the Tyler Taupe!

• twizzis
    15 years ago

Patti, I'm humbled because you're home is outstanding. Eliza has convinced me to investigate Tobacco Road for my den. I've been wrestling with colors for weeks, well maybe months now. Elize, how about Tobacco Road here:

{{!gwi}}

• eliza_824
    15 years ago

Oooh, is that Tobacco Road? Where did you find it? It's just gorgeous, isn't it?

• eliza_824
    15 years ago

Did you check out the nesting place blog?

• twizzis
    15 years ago

Eliza, I've visited Nesting Place Blog quite a few times in the past. The swatches are SW Camelback. I'm dying to see Tobacco Road. Have you ever seen it in person?

• boystown
    15 years ago

To you who have Tobacco Road, are you seeing any green undertones in it??? I am thinking about painting my kitchen and dinning room TR. These rooms face the south with a lot of light. My living room is off the dining room but not open to it and faces north with very little natural light.. What color would I use in the living room???? Help, I am getting out of focus looking at colors.

• pattiem93
    15 years ago

Thank you both so much. And Twizzis-I LOVE Tobacco Road. I've used it in client homes and I intend to use it again in my own. Just make sure you stress it's the OLD formula you want

• here_kittykitty
    15 years ago

elle3--

I have Tyler Taupe in my living room below some molding and used Monroe Bisque to complement it. Here it is

Here is a link that might be useful:

• twizzis
    15 years ago

Patti, at a glance to you think tobacco road might work with my room? ...old formula, got it.

• elle3
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all for posting! I went out a got a sample quart of blonde, but dh thinks it's too yellowish for the tyler taupe. I think it's gorgeous. I love the blonde in both parma's and patiem's house. (I did not see pics posted by twizzi?) I intend to use it somewhere :) What started out as a whim to kill the winter blahs has turned into a major project, LOL.

Kitty, I tried Monroe Bisque and it took on a weird grayish tone in my room. I've seen it elsewhere and it looked as gorgeous as it does in your living room.
    Now I'm looking at desert tan by bm.
    I thought I had all the strips from the historical collection, but I can't find dunmore cream. Thanks for the detailed reasoning behind the selection--I will check it out, bestyears!

Eliza, I have seen the threads on tobacco road and love the color. I think it might be too similar to the tyler taupe, though. I wish they had a paint card for it. I'm going to check that thread again. I wonder if SW would mix a sample quart of it if I gave them the formula that was posted in that thread. The man at SW knows me by name now, LOL.

Again, I apologize for not having a picture--my camera is dead.

• eliza_824
    15 years ago

elle, let me know if and what the old formula is-- I got a sample quart mixed and I'm thinking it must not be the "old" formula because when I mentioned to the SW rep that there is an "old" formula and the SW formula, she just kind of looked at me like I was crazy and told me that their formula would be very close. I just gave it a shot and let her mix the formula they had in their system-- I don't know WHICH formula it is, but I LOVE IT! It has "raw umber" in it. I know that. I can get the exact formula if you want and if you get the original, you can fill me in, too!

• elle3
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok Eliza! I googled TR as you suggested and now I have to try this color. That "nesting" blog had some beautiful shots of it. A gwebber posted the formula, so I'll use that. It's on an old thread which was currently bumped up--when I logged on, it was on the first page. I'm probably going to sw after work today to have them mix a quart.
    On the nesting blog, the blogger posted the lid of the Lowes' paint she used, so I could try that too if it doesn't work.
    I LOVE rich colors.
    Still trying to figure out where I can use the blonde, LOL.

• eliza_824
    15 years ago

Okay, elle.... when you get back and get a chance, please type out what the formula is on the top of your SW can. Then I can cross-check mine with yours and see if they're the same! We don't have a Lowe's where I live, so I can't go there.

• bestyears
    15 years ago

elle3-
    Dunmore Cream is on the same strip with Monroe Bisque -it is number HC-29.

• pattiem93
    15 years ago

Twizzis, I think it would be stunning! Make sure to post pics when you're done

• twizzis
    15 years ago

Thanks and will do, patti.

• elle3
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Eliza, I got the TR sample quart from SW after work today. I would not have thought it would work, but it looks great so far! It's night now, so I need to see it in the daylight, but so far so good:) I didn't mention it before but my family room is open to the kitchen and I wanted the fr color to continue into the kitchen so I had a tall order. I have an oak side table and end table with olive sofa/loveseat in the fr, and cherry cabs with uba tuba in the kitchen. (No money to change the furniture in the fr for now.) Would you believe it looks great with the white mantle, the oak and the cherry? I want to see it in the daylight before I make my final decision...but my heart sang when I foam brushed it on. The quarts from SW really allow you to cover a lot of wall, which I did--it dried so fast.
    The color reminds me of wilmington tan, but lighter. I have it right next to my sample of blonde which is yellower/golder. It really changes depending on the lighting. It also looks great with my tyler taupe accent wall :) How is this possible!? Thanks for pushing me to try this gorgeous color.

I promise to let you know how it all turns out.
    When I went to the sw store, the guy told me that he had several formulas for tobacco road. I left the formula I had gotten off another thread at home (naturally), so I decided to throw caution to the wind and ask for the duron tobacco road formula. He had it, so that's what I went with.

First line: BAC Colorant 02 32 64 128
    second line: N1 Raw Umber - 19 - 1
    third line: Y3 deep Gold - 24 - -

There are 4 sets of numbers, so the dashes mean there are
    no numbers there.
    It was mixed in satin a quart of extra white.

Hope this helps!

PS If this does not work, I will look at Dunmore cream, bestyears. I can't find my strip with the monroe bisque--probably left it at the paint store when I bought the small sample pot :) Thanks for the paint number. I appreciate you taking the time to post it again!

• eliza_824
    15 years ago

Elle, I am SO glad you like the TR so far! I hope you will send me pics-- even if you could post some pics of what the sample splotch looks like on your wall, and I'd love to see what your Tyler Taupe accent wall looks like, too! I feel so excited for you, and it's not even my house! ha! I have the SAME TR formula you have, which thrills me!!! Now i know I will love it. I have the sample up on my wall, and every time I walk by it, I fall in love a little more. It's just beautiful, very easy on the eyes, yet rich and warm.

Thanks & keep us posted on what you decide!